Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Default Allen Bill R.I.P.

Don't know if this has been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmz-vO67PCs

Was there just a week before the flood hit and pulled out a couple of nice fish the likes of which I had never had from the place.

Need a new place for the niece and nephew now.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Wow!!!! We took the kids there to fish just after it was stocked in May. Haven't seen it since the floods as the road in was washed out. Not gonna lie....that is rather sad as it was a nice place to go for the day.

Not to mention what that is going to mean for other fishing holes as this place took some of the pressure off and gave the less scrupulous people a place to go fill their shopping bags full of trout.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM

I fished it the night the rain started....caught about 30 on the West end. A sad day indeed. I liked stopping there for some lazy afternoon fishing especially with my 3 year old. Really sad to see it gone.
A couple things I wonder though.....how will those stocked trout fare in the river and I also wonder how the elbow is fishing right there?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM

ohhh my....Is sad to see how the pond is gone BUT I'm glad to know that mother nature took away a pond for the many many many poachers that use to go and caught three times the legal limits. Poachers will need to find a new place to poach...where they will go now?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM

to bad that doesnt solve the problem with poachers they will just go else where which sucks...

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
to bad that doesnt solve the problem with poachers they will just go else where which sucks...
I have to agree.....ive seen more poaching there than anywhere else combined!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
Most of the reason that people poached there was because it was easy. In better-protected fisheries, the fish aren't as easy to catch, and they will quickly give up. I predict Mt. Lorette ponds (which are probably already pretty well poached -- I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they certainly were, then) as their next invasion site.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Most of the reason that people poached there was because it was easy. In better-protected fisheries, the fish aren't as easy to catch, and they will quickly give up. I predict Mt. Lorette ponds (which are probably already pretty well poached -- I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they certainly were, then) as their next invasion site.
Ya bro, that place gets invaded and conquered tha day after its stocked practically. The children and handicaps it's intended for rarely get a chance to catch a fish im betting.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Not sure when it was last stocked, but I was there yesterday, walked by all 3 pond, didn't see a single fish
Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Default Sad day

Allen Bill was a great place to take kids and I spent a lot of time there learning. It will be missed. I think it was the perfect spot for a put and take fishery, right across the road from thevranger station. I saw some tickets issued there for sure. I hope its resurected or a different easy access put and take fishery is created. Without those opportunities it will be harder to keep getting new anglers into the sport.