Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 AM

Default Tropical Fly Fishing Destinations

Hey all this past June I was fortunate enough to head down to the keys and try my luck at the big Silver Kings. Now with tarpon under my belt I'm looking for some where else to go this up coming winter. Belize is looking pretty good. If anyone has a favorite place, guide, ideas or suggestions that would be great!

Thanx
ALBTUFF
Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM

I had the good fortune of going to Belize in March last year and had a blast fishing for bonefish. Where you go depends on what you are looking for with respect to nightlife, type of fishing and of course budget. In order of tourist developemnt (ie. more resorts and higher end accommodations and nightlife) the places, starting with most developed, are:
Ambergris Caye
Caye Caulker
Placencia

There are fishing opportunities from each of the areas, but I have included links to three of the better known fly fishing resorts. The first one is in Ambergris Caye and the other two are on Turneffe Atoll. There are other local fishing guides you can arrange day trips with as well.

http://www.elpescador.com/

http://www.tflats.com/

http://www.turnefferesort.com/

You can fly into Belize City and take a local air service to Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker or Placencia. You can also take a water taxi to Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker or Turneffe (although if you are staying at one of the resorts on Turneffe I believe they will arrange for your water transfer).

Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

CAYO COCO in CUBA
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheartssteelhead View Post
CAYO COCO in CUBA
bingo
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM

Yeah Belize is nice but Cayo Coco is killer...been four times never disappoints, big Bones! A couple of the fly shops in Calgary do annual trips down there and is generally half the price of a Belize trip. I go with a local fisherman named Juanito or his nephew Nelson who is a bartender at the Melia, technically there not supposed to take us out but oh well! I've even gone solo, get a cab to drop you off out by the lighthouse ask him to come back at a certain time they always show up!!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM

Easy to go on your own. Pick a resort and ask the workers for a guide.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Thanx for the replies. Im going to do some more research on Cuba. Bone fish are next on my list. I thought I would catch some when I was down in key west but they weather was so crappy I was lucky to get a chance on a tarpon.

Thanx again
ALBTUFF
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Smile

A third for Cayo Coco Cuba. I love that place. My wife had a great time being pampered by the staff at The Melia Cayo Coco that she'd go back in a heartbeat. I loved the fishing and scuba diving.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Most guys start their saltwater fishing experience with bonefish and after a few years work their way up to Florida's Silver King,,, Congrats on the tarpon!!!!

Lots of places to fish for Bonefish,,,

Mexico and Belizean bones are plentiful, but tend to be smaller on average than bones in the Bahamas or Cuba. Cuban bones are some of the easiest to catch.

Christmas island is an exotic out of the way location with world class bonefishing.

Since you were fishing with Key West guides for tarpon, I am guessing that you might be more interested in quality bone fishing over "bones on a budget". So if money was not an object for trip criteria,,, then Cuba's Jardines de la Reina (Avalon),,, Andros Island (west side or south side) in the Bahamas,,, and Venezuela's Los Roques would be my next three bonefish trips.