Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Default Fly Tying Question:Deer Hair vs. Elk Hair?

I find deer hair all the time working in the bush. I was wondering if there are major difference between elk and deer hair with regards to buoyancy, colour etc.? I was thinking about using deer hair when a fly pattern calls for elk. Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Most deer hair will flare more than elk, a lot depends on what part of the body the hair is from. That's why a spun pattern calls for deer and a pattern like an elk hair caddis calls for elk. For what it's worth the elk I had did not flair enough to make an elk hair caddis head and I had to buy another patch.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:30 AM

My most effective "Elk Hair" caddis pattern is tied with deer hair from a dead fawn I found. The fine hair is so much better for the small size flies than mature deer or elk hair.

The best part of tying your own flies is making up recipes and testing the results. Have fun experimenting.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM

You can use Elk and deer hair interchangeably to get the desired effect for your fly. Personally I use deer hair for my Elk hair caddis because it is finer.

The hair will also differ from which part of the body it was taken. Belly hair will be softer than back hair and will tie differently.

At the end of the day, it does not matter what hair you use, it is what the fish think. Mix it up and see.

A
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

For Tom Thumbs, and it's derivatives, use deer hair to bob the fly around.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Default deer hair

Hi Guys
For small deer hair patterns I use coastal deer, yup, you have to buy it. I use natural dark color, natural light color , Olive, light olive, light brown, black. Take your pick as it is died in many colors and it is very durable. Been using it for 30 -40 years.
BJay
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM

I generally use deer hair for my small and medium (#8 and down) down wing style flies. For up right wings (i.e. parachute and wulff style), large down wings (salmon flies), and tails I prefer elk hair.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM

The best of the deer hair comes from deer in the late summer. Road kills providing your have permission to harvest the deer is great.

The hair is uniform on length, has little under fur and if you can get the whole hide, there are lengths for most any use.
When I commercially tied, I went through a complete hide of the local deer. I also use costal stuff for this and that.
Elk is fine for some stuff.

In all the above cases, macrame yarn is much better, is dirt cheap, doesn't stink and cost diddly.

Don
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mountain Boy View Post
I find deer hair all the time working in the bush. I was wondering if there are major difference between elk and deer hair with regards to buoyancy, colour etc.? I was thinking about using deer hair when a fly pattern calls for elk. Thoughts?
For bouancy, I find this is the order I find from best to least bouancy

Caribou (hair is more hollow and bouyant)

Deer (white tail or mule)

Elk

Moose

I use moose for sparse dark wings on trout flies, also have used moose for wings on muddlers instead of turkey.