Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Better shoot than expected

The last few weeks we have definitely noticed more hunters around the our favourite area, seems there are a lot of people getting into or getting back into goose hunting over the last couple of years. I guess that is from some people having the time to get out now, even the local farmers this year. The bird numbers were decent to start with, but they are not being given the chance to settle in it would seem.
Actually had a tough time finding fields with a decent number on them that wasn't already being spotted or taken, something we previously didn't worry about, and a bunch of people doing evening shoots. Many are not set up properly, trying to work traffic with the wrong setup, some are close to just ditchgpigging them.

Anyway, only decent field I spotted, two fellas in there with a willow blind for an evening shoot, they were shooting traffic. They picked a krappy place to set up, but, they did get a few birds. Another fella showed up to tell me they were shooting the quarter to the NE the next AM, with up to 12 guys.

So, we took a chance, set up on the south end of the field the next AM. Fortunately there were lots of broken bales in the area, we setup in one. Birds cooperated by coming early, we shot good, had a limit of specks in 15min. Ducks were around, but not coming over to us, got a couple. Watched them putting into a slough to the north of us, lots there. There was a small slough about 300yds west of us that some were putting into. Grabbed the mojo and went over there, took about an hour, but, managed a limit there.

So, no matter how the odds seem to be stacked against you, don't give up.

Hmmm, hit submit too early apparently, and see that the pics didn't upload, and now apparently there is a security token missing? I have no clue what that is about, just straight upload from my pics file on my PC. Never seen that before.

Last edited by 32-40win; 09-25-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Weird, had to download my pics back from Facebook to add whatever security token it needed.
Anyway, when I got home, the neighbor had apparently got into halloween a bit early, the setup looked like it needed some extra decoration added. How could I say no to that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speck hunt sept 24 2017.jpg (133.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg tuck with halloween decorations.jpg (108.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 09-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Looks like a good shoot, maybe your buddy in the second pic should think about retiring lol
Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dd0637b5b33d5e1c594dc721ae3c91cf.jpg (7.5 KB, 24 views)
shoot where their
going not where they been,