Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Default Basement floor drain back flow valve WARNING

For some unknown reason I just decided to look down my floor drain. When we moved here 7 years ago I checked to see that I had a stop valve in place. There was one. I had a flash light in my hand today and looked down and was surprised to see the drain check broken.

So I took the old one out but the stopcock had fallen off. Had to reach way down to find the rubber piece deep down. Then washed my arm very well. Then flushed out the drain with some fresh water.

Then installed a new drain check.

Everyone should know that if you don't have the drain check you can get extra damage from sewer back up. Also many insurance policies assume you don't have one. It therefore costs more to be insured.

Measure your drain pipe opening. Should be 3 inch or 4 inch. Go spend the $15 for a drain check at your local hardware store.

Install. It is two brass rings with a rubber gasket sandwiched between. With s standard Philips screwdriver you tighten the rings together to bulge out the rubber gasket and it seals in place.

Then call your home insurance company. Ask them if you get a reduction in premiums for having the drain check installed.

Either way if the insurance company showed you have one and you didnt your insurance would of been void if the sewer backed up.

Otherwise it could save you insurance money or save a bid stinky mess.

Do it today!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-07-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:36 AM

Anyone else check their basement floor drain for a back flow check? How many do not have one.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Default Back flow Prevention

Yes, my home is equipped and thank you for the reminder. I try and double check every couple of years and I guess it is time to roll up my sleeves again,
Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 PM

And make sure that you:

1) have a water level in tbe floor drain. The water can evaporate over time allowing sewer gas into tbe basement. Not only does that stink but can be an explosion hazard.
2) once a year pour 5 gallons of water down the drain. I found out that mine was plugged with coffee grounds that had washed into the trap. I cleaned the trap with a wet/dry vacuum and recharged it with water.

Just another household maintenance item.

Don
Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

when installing it arent you worried about getting poop and pee on you? what are the health risks of doing this?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by special_fred View Post

when installing it arent you worried about getting poop and pee on you? what are the health risks of doing this?

You only need to worry about this ^, if you have been pooping and peeing in your floor drain . The trap in every drain protects you from the bad stuff, including sewer gas. But just to be safe, you can wear rubber gloves.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sundance! I'll be checking my back-flow valve this pm, and adding water to the trap.

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 11-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
the drain in the floor has a p-trap in it, duh
Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
the drain in the floor has a p-trap in it, duh
Lol.

If you have been getting some sewer back up then yes...it could be yucky. I washed really well after. However that would mean all the reason to have the back up preventer. Your basement sewer drain should be well above the sewer line grade. Some neighbourhoods have grade problems and some sewers can get plugged and can back up.

I also add water twice a year to flush out and prevent sewer gas build up.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 PM

My insurance provider came to my home and dropped off a floor drain check valve, stainless braided hoses for the washing machine and 3 moisture sensing alarms (about half the size of a cell phone). All free of charge. Was pretty shocked they showed up to do that but the guy said those little things are going to save them millions.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:53 PM

My furnace condensate flows through my floor drain. Will the condensate affect the performance of a check valve?
Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM

hey guys, how do i make a new thread/ post on main forum page?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
My furnace condensate flows through my floor drain. Will the condensate affect the performance of a check valve?
no , my old place and furnace and ac draining into it with a drain check , it was fine .
Old 11-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Looked at a house recently. Backwater valve was ok, but the clean out, downstream had the cover removed, apparently to deal with a basement water issue. House was about 20 years old, thinking no weeping tile was installed and water was seeping under the floor.

Grizz
Old 11-09-2015, 05:33 PM

hey guys from some one that works in the industry

in order too get the insurance break on having a back water valve in your residents you need to have a main line approved back water valve installed

the in floor drain check valves are not an approved way of doing it for insurance company's i have dealt with

Most insurance company's will ask for a an approved permit as well.

This is based out of Edmonton rural area's may have different requirements
Old 11-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Put one of these in when I replaced the plumbing in my house, at the suggestion of the city inspector. cost around $450.00 at the time.
http://www.backwater-valves.com
Cleaning it out is suggested every 6 months. I just hook a garden hose up to my Hot Water Tank drain with spray nozzle, and clean out any grease or solid buildup with the hot water.
Drains the scale from hot water tank at same time.
For those who are squeamish about getting dirty, Put you're big boy pant's on. Have a shower afterwards if you feel soiled!.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabackflow View Post

in order too get the insurance break on having a back water valve in your residents you need to have a main line approved back water valve installed

the in floor drain check valves are not an approved way of doing it for insurance company's i have dealt with

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Page...eparation.aspx

Not what my Calgary insurance company said.

Just needed a floor drain check which cost $15. An inline check valve is different and expensive. Just check with your insurance company. They will tell you. Also if you need extra comfort. Take a picture of the check in the package and then installed and email them.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Put one of these in when I replaced the plumbing in my house, at the suggestion of the city inspector. cost around $450.00 at the time.
http://www.backwater-valves.com
Cleaning it out is suggested every 6 months. I just hook a garden hose up to my Hot Water Tank drain with spray nozzle, and clean out any grease or solid buildup with the hot water.
Drains the scale from hot water tank at same time.
For those who are squeamish about getting dirty, Put you're big boy pant's on. Have a shower afterwards if you feel soiled!.
The FR4 valves are the ones ive seen that havnt failed very often. I have seen hundreds of new mainline backflow valves fail and wouldnt recommend these to anyone. Lots of people have a misunderstanding of when a backflow valve is supposed to work.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

so main line means downstream of ptrap in floor drain? depending on current circumstance id be more inclined to a 15$ solution than 450$
Old 11-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Agreed 85%... To me a mainline normally open backwater valve is ideal, but often it is difficult to install one due to the fact that it must me accessible for servicing and cleaning. It is also possible to install a normally closed backwater valve off of the main line as long as there are no fixtures (shower, tub, toilet, floor drain) that are below grade and that it doesn't protect. Also, a normally closed cannot be installed in line with your main stack. So if you are in a home without a basement bathroom, but you've got the rumpus room with the vintage shag rug and wood panel walls and you don't want to wreck it but there's a furnace and laundry room off in a corner, away from the main stack with a concrete floor, it's acceptable to hire a plumber to dig up your floor and install a backwater valve there. It accomplishes the same thing but saves the orange shag rug.