Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Unhappy Not Cheaper...

That may be the reason for what appears to be a frivolous law suit. It seems that the perp/victim is not being charged with car theft. He will be sent home with the crown's best wishes that he have a nice life. The family I'm guessing can't/ won't cope with the care required and no long term care facility will want a 16 year old very angry and unhappy criminal mixed in with the old people.

So the question is "now what"? As far as I can tell he will be on his own, he is medically stable and not a candidate for institutional care.

It hasn't come up yet but what if he sues the owner of the cars insurance company. The amount, if he won would be less than the government could pay but that could be act two.

IMO I wish that the boy was not a quad, it is a horrible life sentence for doing something dangerous and stupid, but he will pay a terrible price.

Sleazy lawyers aside, this is a sad story all around.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
That may be the reason for what appears to be a frivolous law suit. It seems that the perp/victim is not being charged with car theft. He will be sent home with the crown's best wishes that he have a nice life. The family I'm guessing can't/ won't cope with the care required and no long term care facility will want a 16 year old very angry and unhappy criminal mixed in with the old people.

So the question is "now what"? As far as I can tell he will be on his own, he is medically stable and not a candidate for institutional care.

It hasn't come up yet but what if he sues the owner of the cars insurance company. The amount, if he won would be less than the government could pay but that could be act two.

IMO I wish that the boy was not a quad, it is a horrible life sentence for doing something dangerous and stupid, but he will pay a terrible price.

Sleazy lawyers aside, this is a sad story all around.
Well yiou can't buy experience but you can sure pay for it.
His youth does not make it anyone elses fault that he is in the position that he is in.

Its not like he was forced or coerced or entrapped.
he was an experienced criminal by the time this incident happened and careless about his own future.

Does he deserve some compassion?
Sure.
Does he deserve a chance to reform?
Sure.

But that does not extend to making the results of his choices and his alone... the financial burden of someone who was doing their best to prevent such a tragedy dispite the youths lack of co-operation.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Banned

Is this story some kind of joke? Unbelievable!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 AM

It's a shame that this happened at all, but he shouldn't be stealing vehicles and ramming police cars. It's a brutal lesson for him but hopefully it will make others think twice before doing such things. Hopefully he can turn his life around now and make some good out of his situation.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 AM

Default .02

Even if he won that's 7M. He still looses. Nobody on earth would take 7M to be a quad.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Banned

The teen says RCMP officers did not follow procedures and should have known he would attempt to flee because of his criminal background and the “chaotic scene created by the police officers.”

The chaotic scene was created by the kid. Nobody but the kids is guilty here. He was trying to push the police vehicle out of the way so he could continue to drive recklessly. He is lucky to be alive. I applaud the police for the actions they took to subdue this criminal. Even the kid's own lawsuit admits he was a criminal and had no intention of stopping for the police.

The only unfortunate thing here is the fact the kid lived.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 AM

It's too bad that the cops didn't shoot straighter!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Ok, so I agree the kid is clearly guilty. But I think they should have aimed for the tires to disable the vehicle and then handle the situation. I'm a rancher so I look at this situation in this respect, if I'm in the corral and a cow decides to take a run at me, guess what, I run for the fence to get out of the way or I wait till she gets close and then quickly jump to the side. I don't stand there and try to whack her in the head with a fence post when she's committed and close. I like to think a cow is a lot more limber than a Toyota Corrolla. The kid presented no weapon, except that ridiculous excuse that a vehicle is a weapon in this situation. Point being why didn't the front cop jump out of the way to prevent injury and then the rear officers disable the vehicle? The front officers vehicle was in place to give him time to get out of the way. Would have been a lot cheaper on our justice system then dealing with a quadriplegic inmate.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
Ok, so I agree the kid is clearly guilty. But I think they should have aimed for the tires to disable the vehicle and then handle the situation. I'm a rancher so I look at this situation in this respect, if I'm in the corral and a cow decides to take a run at me, guess what, I run for the fence to get out of the way or I wait till she gets close and then quickly jump to the side. I don't stand there and try to whack her in the head with a fence post when she's committed and close. I like to think a cow is a lot more limber than a Toyota Corrolla. The kid presented no weapon, except that ridiculous excuse that a vehicle is a weapon in this situation. Point being why didn't the front cop jump out of the way to prevent injury and then the rear officers disable the vehicle? The front officers vehicle was in place to give him time to get out of the way. Would have been a lot cheaper on our justice system then dealing with a quadriplegic inmate.
In a perfect world, that may have happened. However what the reality would have been, was the kid would be out on the street the next day, and do the same thing all over again, and perhaps steal a more destructive vehicle, and run down some family on their way to the store.

His actions after the fact, and his claim that the police acted wrong because they knew he was a criminal is proof he thinks he is above the law.

As a rancher, you know what must be done to a dog who gets the taste of chickens. You use the three s's. There is no rehabilitating a bad dog.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:

You might feel differently, if the car thief had run over one of your family members , after getting around the police vehicles, and continuing his attempt to escape. The fact that he was willing to ram the police vehicles makes it very evident that he could care less about the safety of anyone else. It would have been much cheaper for the taxpayers, if the police had shot straighter.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Banned

Open Range

It is a police officer's job to step into the line of danger. It is their sworn duty to protect the public as they uphold the law.

A vehicle becomes a weapon when it is used to try and cause bodily harm by intentionally driving it towards someone. It is not a ridiculous excuse.
SO yeah he had a weopan.

And if that is not good enough, go find the RCMP officer at the U of A hospital that got run over by the 1 tonne duelly last month and ask him how he feels about a vehicle becoming a weapon and whether it is a ridiculous excuse for them to have shot they guy that did it.

I am sure he has some pretty strong feelings about that fact.

Last edited by ETOWNCANUCK; 02-07-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Another argument for Double Tap to the head.

Grizz
Blast from the shotgun would have ended this b.s.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Would your cow go on a rampage through the streets hitting vehicles and anything in its path to escape police custody with a stolen car as well?

Let's compare apples to apples.

You start using a vehicle as a battering ram in public streets, you turn that vehicle into a deadly weapon.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
The lawsuit states that if an RCMP officer moved into the path of the Corolla, then that officer was “negligent.”

Yes because the police don't have a responsibility to get in the way of a repeat criminal to control a situation.

After it's thrown out his lawyer should be charged for wasting the courts time.
x2
Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 PM

Default young car thieves

they should bring in caning as a deterrent for the young car thieves when caught red handed, first offense10 licks closed bamboo cane, second time caught a split cane, guaranteed he will quit after the split cane or get real good at stealing cars, anyway he won,t pull his shirt off in public branded a thief. Seen the results when i worked in Mexico one of my camp guys got caught as a peeping tom years back in a small town called Tampache and he said the caning cured him ,his nickname was Gato because of what he did. And those welts where nasty. cheers
Old 02-08-2014, 12:50 AM

Well said cat in the hat , I think that's a great idea. Bottom line , if his parents took charge in raising him , maybe he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place !!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purecountry71 View Post
Well said cat in the hat , I think that's a great idea. Bottom line , if his parents took charge in raising him , maybe he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place !!!!
Uh, that was "Hat in the Cat" you were responding to
Not " catnthehat "!
Different poster - same attitude about this thread however!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Uh, that was "Hat in the Cat" you were responding to
Not " catnthehat "!
Different poster - same attitude about this thread however!
It's my bad...
I joined the forum with my usual handle not knowing how big a poster and wealth of information you were. I can see where it gets confusing.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
This has me thinking now, maybe making dangerous criminals quadriplegics might be cheaper than incarcerating them for a life sentence. Reduces their risk at reoffending, and forces their friends and family to bare the burden of taking care of them as opposed to the tax payers.

Only down side is quadriplegics have enough in life to deal with, having people wonder if they were made that way through crime would just be unfair and add to their problems.
I big RED C tattooed in the middle of their face would cover it.
Then there would never be any question or way of hiding it.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM

Default Kids

All I can say is that the human race is the only species I know where we dont have to fight (sometimes to death) for the right to mate, and then we wonder what happened. I think the animals got it right.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Some of you guys are sick anyone who wishes death on a 16 year old for this type of crime is terribly disturbed.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Some of you guys are sick anyone who wishes death on a 16 year old for this type of crime is terribly disturbed.
That 16 year old purposely drove a vehicle toward police officers, and into police cruisers.
Had he not been stopped, he would have been on one of the busiest streets in the city, and he could have killed innocent people as he tried to escape.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
I big RED C tattooed in the middle of their face would cover it.
Then there would never be any question or way of hiding it.
Haha a tad harsh. Depends on the crime I guess.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:09 AM

This is almost as bad as that Texas kid getting off with an Affluence defense.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
The teen says RCMP officers did not follow procedures and should have known he would attempt to flee because of his criminal background and the “chaotic scene created by the police officers.”

So he admits that he will flee because of his criminal background..

Simple answer....Do not flee
Not to mention the "chaotic scene created by the police officers" So its there fault that he stole a car and was chased by them?

What a joke, he got what he deserved.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 PM