Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Using just tippet?

I am fairly new to flyfishing and have found using leaders frustrating at times. They tend to coil up and I can't seem to straighten them very well. As a result, I just tied tippet to my fly line and have caught some fish which makes me happy, but am I doing myself a disservice by doing this? Am I sacrificing the proper presentation of the flies etc by not having a leader?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 PM

A tapered leader definitely will turn over your flies better and maker for a much better presentation.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM

ive used nothing but tippet, for that fact just regular fishing line, and have caught loads of fish. most people nymphing on the bow just use tippet, not a tapper leader, with small dries a tappered leader will help turn your fly over.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

well i have been fly fishing for 20 yrs now and have tried just about everything, i beleive that a tapered leader is the best way to go, you'll still catch fish with just line or tippet but as you get better you'll see that fishing with a tapered leader well present all flies betters, your casting well be better and your fish counts well be better, if your having a problem with the line coiling , i would suggest setting up the rod and hook the flie in the bottom of your rod handle leave it tight overnight this well help with that problem, also as your casting gets better you'll see less tangles
Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 PM

i fly fish as well and often times i wonder the same as you. i usually use a tapered leader and change it out once ive chewed enough of it off where i think its too thick to use on the smaller flys. lately tho i have decided to dabble into using tippet and am quickly frustrated with tying the connecting knots. practice makes perfect i know, but its still annoying

one thing ive learned though is that the point of fishing is to catch fish, plain and simple. if you have found a system that works and you are catching fish (and having fun) then i would consider it a win, especially when it comes to fly fishing.

thats my humble opinion anways
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 PM

if you carry two or three sizes of tippet one tapered leader should last you all season. as it gets too short use some tippet to give it length and if its really to short add a larger size tippet followed by a thinner size. I carry 8lb 6lbs and 4lb more than enough
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Default 2 tricks

1) when using a tapered leader just hold 2-3 ft sections and pull. This stretches out the coils without damaging the line. Try it, no tricks to it but I use gloves which makes that easier.
2) tie on tippet (blood knot, easy to do) if your leader gets to short but isn't all gnarly yet.

The above being said, I don't generally use tapered leaders for nymphs or streamers unless I already have one on.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
if you carry two or three sizes of tippet one tapered leader should last you all season. as it gets too short use some tippet to give it length and if its really to short add a larger size tippet followed by a thinner size. I carry 8lb 6lbs and 4lb more than enough
X2, I change flies a lot and carry a spool of 12lb. test as well. I can use the 12lb. for the middle section when it gets short from tying tippet on. I've had the same butt section for going on two years.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 PM

I use a leader straightener and it works awesome for coiled leaders .

http://www.basspro.com/Leather-Leade...duct/10211039/
Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone616 View Post
I use a leader straightener and it works awesome for coiled leaders .

http://www.basspro.com/Leather-Leade...duct/10211039/
I always have one of these on my vest too.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Good advise...one alteration in point two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
1) when using a tapered leader just hold 2-3 ft sections and pull. This stretches out the coils without damaging the line. Try it, no tricks to it but I use gloves which makes that easier.
2) tie on tippet (blood knot, easy to do) BEFORE YOU USE THE LEADER. This way you are eating up your tippet from the beginning and not eating up an expensive tapered leader.

The above being said, I don't generally use tapered leaders for nymphs or streamers unless I already have one on.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM

if u go online u will find how to build your own tappered leaders need about 5 diffrent tippet sizes.........alot cheaper
Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM

I use tapered leaders but as they get short I tie on tippet and you can use that same leader forever and just keep adding on tippet lengths.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:12 AM

If nymphing I just use straight Tippet material. It sinks you nymphs faster and deeper. Dry fly is a different matter, a tapered leader will allow a softer more accurate presentation for rising trout, as its a continuation of your fly line taper. I use hand tied and furled leaders.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Slight derail (sorry), but do you guys switch back and forth between mono and fluoro leaders and tippets? I have sometimes tried to stick with mono for dry flies but fluoro for stuff that needs to get down. But it's complicated switching back and forth when you change tactics. I'm talking mostly about stream/river fishing here. Any thoughts/experience?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Slight derail (sorry), but do you guys switch back and forth between mono and fluoro leaders and tippets? I have sometimes tried to stick with mono for dry flies but fluoro for stuff that needs to get down. But it's complicated switching back and forth when you change tactics. I'm talking mostly about stream/river fishing here. Any thoughts/experience?
I run into that myself. What i do is have a loop attachment part way down my leader and I loop on mono tippet when dry and if need be bite the bullet and loop on some fluoro when nymphing. It is a slight pain but curious to see how others do it.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I would like some extra input on this as well.

To keep on track...I find tapered leaders necessary for accurately casting small flies (i.e. size 14 and smaller). For ugly nymph rigs---I do not notice a difference. For streamers on a floating line, tapered leaders are not critical either.

Now back to what I want to know too...
My experience is that fluoro out-fishes mono in every circumstance. I know that fluoro will sink more readily, but if the tippet matches the fly appropriately, I do not find any significant difference in the sink rate. For nymphing and droppers, fluoro reigns supreme. It also seems to calm the leader-shy trout.

Fluoro is so much more expensive. I am worried that I want to see a difference to justify the extra cash.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

Hand tied tapered leaders for me always.I make all my leaders with Maxima Chameleon,Clear,and UG.
IMHO I can build better leaders than I can buy for a fraction of the cost(.75-$1/ea) and customize them to the conditions,my rods from 3wt-8wt,pan size trout to salmon,12' leaders tapered from 40lb butt to 10lb tip for salmon on an 8wt,or an 8' leader tapered 20-4lb for brookies on a 3wt,or anything in between?
I rarely ever use flouro other than for submerged work (streamers and nymphs) in gin clear water.