Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default Fly fishing near Calgary for a youth, not on the Bow

Hey guys, looking to get my son out fly fishing. My dad and I normally head out to a few different places on the Bow but I don’t want to take him there. What about someplace like Crossfield pond? A creek that might be open this weekend? Within an hour of the city and somewhat easily accessible as my arthritis is kicking my butt this week.

I tried the Alberta fishing guide but not knowing what those places are it’s making it tough.

Thank you for any suggestions that you might have for us.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 AM

Winchell Pond near Airdrie is very accessible from what I understand.

J
Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 AM

Winchell is easier with a boat as a lot of it is very marshy and soft around the edges. There are a few places where people have put some pallets that your can stand on so you might be able to fish from there.

McLean Pond would be better, but save that one for later in the summer. I was out there the other night and it was very, very brown and I never saw a single fish. It hasn't been stocked yet.

I'm not sure if the any of the stocked lakes up towards the mountains are ice free yet as there was still quite a bit of snow in the trees west of Bragg Creek.

If they are ice free, Quarry Lake in Canmore and Wedge Pond might be ok and it looks like they might be stocking them with trout this year as they both have new limits in the regulations.

Your best bet might be to check the latest stocking report and head out to a lake that has just been stocked close to your side of the city.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Banned

Thanks guys
Old 05-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Banned

How’s Barrier lake from shore? I think we might head west and it’s close to a couple other places we’re looking at. I can’t find it listed specifically in the reg’s and am having trouble deciphering where it may fall in with the opening dates.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Kid Fishing

Keep in mind east slope streams are closed till mid June .... A good place to take a youngster is Sibbald Meadows Pond not to be confused with Sibbald Lake lots of little brookies and stocked rainbows perfect for kids
Old 05-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Banned

We are planning to hit one, if not both Sibbalds. But barrier is right there too. It’s part of the slope system and not considered a lake since it’s not on the list?
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 PM

I've never fished Barrier, nor do i know anyone who has. I've kayaked, paddleboarded and picnicked there lots and have never seen a fish.

Mount Lorette ponds are just a bit south of there and can be a lot of fun if they've been stocked recently. It's my daughter's favorite place to fish.

Keep in mind that any stocked lake will only be good if you get there soon after it's been stocked.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:58 PM

Just got back today from Cipperley's Reservoir to teach my kid how to fly fish. Great little pond that is super shore accessible and the fish were taking small nymphs and chironomids anywhere from 10-40 feet off shore (4-6ft deep) so no need to long haul cast. Most takes were about 15-25 feet from shore but you have to be quick and attentive on the hookset.

You can park right next to the shore and sit on your tailgate if you wanted to.

There were lots of kids having better success with power bait though. Everyone seemed to have more fish in the SE corner but supposedly the little bridge in the north part can be good too but we caught nothing there. Fish aren't huge right now as they just stocked it but they are feisty and jumpers!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Banned

Where is that? I did a search but came up with nothing.

We ended up at Sibbald. We went to the eastern pond. My son didn’t fish much at all, and only used spin gear. My dad and I both fly fished.
My waders turned out to have some pretty good holes and I was soaked from the belly down. I caught one rainbow, maybe 5”, had a few more on the hook but I didn’t bring them in. My dad was quite a bit more successful by landing 7, and again, a lot more on the hook. We are barbless primarily so I wasn’t to upset by this. My dads biggest was about 7” but most were 5-6”.

We topped it off with a nice shore lunch on my dads portable BBQ of moose steaks. My dad has never had them before and instantly fell in love.

I got new waders and boots today. This time I went separate units instead of an all in one, but those were given to me anyway. I can’t wait to get back out and enjoy more time with my father and my son.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:05 PM

How old is your boy? Depending on the child most instructors feel children can't become proficient with the casting prior to 8 but typically closer to 12.

I found one very good product that can dispel this. For my boy's 2 year birthday he got an echo practice rod. Being a "toy" my boy has been able to get out his rod and practice on his schedule not on the water where the idea is to catch, not cast... in a Childs mind.

Now at 4.5 years my boy can cast a 490, with a full sink and heavy streamers, and could do so before we got out fishing.

For the $65.00 I think the practice rod took away a lot of stress and him prepared to fish when we went fishing. I remember going out as a boy, struggling to cast as my father and his buddies were plugging dirty rainbows, it wasn't as fun as it could have been.

And as a bonus you can work on your cast, with the echo

Last edited by Jayhad; 05-18-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Thumbs up

Between Olds and Didsbury if you are referring to Cipperley's Reservoir
Old 05-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Banned

Yes, Cipperley's. I will try and find it. Thank you.

My son is 14. He has been out before but he's now 14. A couple of years ago he was happy and excited to go out. My dad even built him a rod. But now, get him off of the computer or X Box. Just that age.
He can cast, but he is most definitely out of practice right now. We live beside a big field so I'll see if I can get him out there for a little bit. He just found out his step brother fly fishes as well so he wants to out with him. We'll be trying to organize a day trip with the four of us to head out and do very much the same thing we did yesterday, just with one more person.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:22 PM

As for Barrier Lake, or any other water body not specifically listed in the regs, you will need to look up and follow the general regulations for that zone.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM

This is Cipperley near Didsbury:

http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/...d=E3&number=65
Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 AM
Banned

Thank you. I will try and check that location out as well.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:46 PM

You could try the canal coming from The carseland weir. I went yesterday and saw probably more than 100 trout jump and 5:30 to 7:30.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 PM
Banned

My.dad and I fished there a few years ago. I have never caught anything on the bow. Admittedly, I'm not a great fisherman, let along fly Fisher, but the bow seems to be a different beast. I'd love to do a guided float and learn more about it and wht to look for.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 PM

Ill dm the exact coordinates
Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 PM
Banned

Thank you
Old 05-31-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclerj View Post
Winchell is easier with a boat as a lot of it is very marshy and soft around the edges. There are a few places where people have put some pallets that your can stand on so you might be able to fish from there.

McLean Pond would be better, but save that one for later in the summer. I was out there the other night and it was very, very brown and I never saw a single fish. It hasn't been stocked yet.

I'm not sure if the any of the stocked lakes up towards the mountains are ice free yet as there was still quite a bit of snow in the trees west of Bragg Creek.

If they are ice free, Quarry Lake in Canmore and Wedge Pond might be ok and it looks like they might be stocking them with trout this year as they both have new limits in the regulations.

Your best bet might be to check the latest stocking report and head out to a lake that has just been stocked close to your side of the city.
From looking at the stocking plans, I only see bear pond and big iron. Quarry lake had brown trout already though.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:03 PM
Banned

Since this has been posted we have tried Sibbald, Crossfield, Cipperly’s, and Emerson Lake. Three of the four produced, one well enough to keep a couple, even though I got skunked there.

Thank you for all the help.

I’ve had fly gear for about 15 years, gone out here and there with it, but this year has been a big change and I’m really enjoying it. New waders, wading boots, belly boat, a crap ton of new flies (and I still need some more), and more coming. I am looking for a new set up for the bow river. I have the reel picked, now it’s just a matter of the rod/blank which is already in the planning process. Some new line for me on my 5 weight as I was looking at my sons and it’s spider webbed. He doesn’t go out even as much as I do so he can have my new “budget” line.

The money hasn’t been there for the last few years to really get up to speed with all the new toys that I want in al of my hobbies, but this is one that I am really enjoying and look forward to every weekend.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:02 PM

You could try out Kids Can Catch Pond next to bow habitat station. I used a size 18 pheasent tail ~3' under an indicator and caught 2 right away. Just drop it right off the dock and you probably will catch some. They also came for the micro hopper that I used as my indicator.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love fishing View Post
You could try out Kids Can Catch Pond next to bow habitat station. I used a size 18 pheasent tail ~3' under an indicator and caught 2 right away. Just drop it right off the dock and you probably will catch some. They also came for the micro hopper that I used as my indicator.
Last time I checked, this place closed due to covid19.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Was there August 1st, pond is open again, stocked with 6/8 inch rainbows.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrus View Post
Was there August 1st, pond is open again, stocked with 6/8 inch rainbows.
Woo sound good. Thanks!

*i checked a few weeks back and saw a sign that said they shutting down until 2021 or something.*
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeonafly View Post
Woo sound good. Thanks!

*i checked a few weeks back and saw a sign that said they shutting down until 2021 or something.*
Yeah they closed it due to low water levels. It was stocked with 40 rainbows