Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Lake Trout On A Dry Fly

How many fly anglers have caught a lake trout of dry flies either in a river of still water?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BEB79ED-5F05-49AE-9863-359637535FE4.jpg (38.2 KB, 295 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 06:24 PM

While stripping steamers on Crowsnest Lake I noticed a chironomid hatch and the odd fish working the surface. I switched over to a strike indicator with a duo of mids with very limited success. The dominant species of fish seemed to be Lakers of which I eventually caught on different types of streamers. Bait guys were doing much better with dyed cut bait. Although Lakers prefer cooler water and inhabit the depths, I can't see why a real good hatch would not bring them up if surface temps were cool enough.

It will be interesting to hear from others on your inquiry.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 AM

There was a caddis hatch close to shore and EHC's worked well on a mountain lake for small ( 3-5 lb.) lakers a few years back. We were also catching a few on streamers in deeper water.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Never on the dry fly. I have however caught lots of lakers on Chironomids and scuds under an indicator......more on streamers....
Old 08-09-2019, 01:57 PM

caught a laker in Minnewanka years ago on the flat, 40 ft deep, in front of the first campground down the lake, caught it on a tube jig, brought it in, mouth and gills full of midge larvae, looked like the front grill of vehicle after driving through bugs on the highway for five hours, they make use of the food they can find, as to dry flies on Aylmer Lake, hey its untouched NWT beauty, those fish can and will eat anything, nothing really to be afraid of so coming to the surface is no big deal, fishing there and anywhere untouched in the NWT is heaven, i got to guide on Great Bear many moons ago, so many bays where you look over the side, in 60 feet of water, looking at a thousand fish in gin clear water, insane!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 PM

East arm of great slave on a 5 weight fishing for grayling.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post

East arm of great slave on a 5 weight fishing for grayling.
Once again illustrating why the Stimulator is in my all-time top 10 flies: insane versatility. It can be a stonefly, a hopper, caddis, and (in event of emergency) even a nymph (scissors req'd). I've even caught pike with Stimulators.

Nice fish.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
Once again illustrating why the Stimulator is in my all-time top 10 flies: insane versatility. It can be a stonefly, a hopper, caddis, and (in event of emergency) even a nymph (scissors req'd). I've even caught pike with Stimulators.

Nice fish.
The Stim is definitely in my top 10. What else makes your list? For me, I'd for sure put an Adams in there, maybe a Tom Thumb (so versatile, it's whatever the fish thinks it is!). Because I fish the Bow, the good old w/w Worm makes the cut.

Maybe I'll start a new thread. I'm really curious what people pick, lol.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:49 PM

Default I used a popper to catch lake trout

Hi: We went on a fishing trip to Maclleland Lake in Northern Saskatchewan and I caught lake trout on a bass popper. I think if they are near the top of the water column just after ice off, you can attract them to hit. I caught a few that evening in 10 FOW. It was fun watching 5 lb lakers hit a surface plug.

Hoopi