Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2022, 12:38 PM

Default Black Fox?

We came across this little guy on the Ice Field Parkway about 5 minutes North of the River Crossing. Never seen one before but I'm assuming Black Fox? That's what it looks like to me. Pretty neat either way.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2022, 01:06 PM

Yup black fox less common but they are around
Old 09-04-2022, 01:26 PM

Default Red fox

Just a color variation silver,cross or red all Red Fox.I have a wolf that color.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:29 PM

Seen plenty of Silver foxes between Parker's Ridge and the Crossing

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-04-2022, 01:43 PM

Have heard of em before but first I've ever got the chance to see. It's been a few years since I've seen a fox and I've seen 3 in about the last week or so now!

Old 09-04-2022, 02:16 PM

Saw one that was almost completely black, very little silver speckling, south of Raymond way back in the 90s. Shot and trapped quite a few with lots of silver and chocolate markings. I run into a few grey phase north of Edmonton every year while hunting. All just variants of the Red Fox.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:44 PM
Banned

Very cool! I skinned one for someone a few years ago. Their fur is really nice. They are a melanistic form of the red fox. I caught a couple of melanistic coyotes in the Westlock area a few years ago. They are pretty nice as well.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Very cool! I skinned one for someone a few years ago. Their fur is really nice. They are a melanistic form of the red fox. I caught a couple of melanistic coyotes in the Westlock area a few years ago. They are pretty nice as well.

Nice looking animal. This wasn't skidding like the other fox? Foxes? I've come across before. This one just kind of hung out and let us take pictures from the car. He looked more curious than anything.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:54 PM

Foxes tame really easy odds are someone was feeding it
Old 09-04-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yup black fox less common but they are around
"Red " Fox like "Black "Bear comes in color variations, neat to see though.

Tourists feeding the wildlife? Nah. Even the sparrows in Jasper look for treats.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-04-2022, 08:18 PM

I had this one on my porch on feb 11th. Seen a few nights home then moved on somewhere else. Pop up on trail cam in late june scavenging on deer carcass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACDB8FD4-CD2B-462A-B35F-53812C476F4A.jpg (19.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-04-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Tourists feeding the wildlife? Nah. Even the sparrows in Jasper look for treats.

Grizz
Yeah I never... ever... see people feeding elk outside Jasper townsite. It's my favourite when a park warden comes flying up on a group of people that are 10 feet away from a herd just trying to graze unbothered. I hope they all get nice fines.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:19 PM

Never saw one like this
Old 09-04-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Yes it’s just another red fox color phase
Old 09-05-2022, 04:34 AM

Default That looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post
I had this one on my porch on feb 11th. Seen a few nights home then moved on somewhere else. Pop up on trail cam in late june scavenging on deer carcass.
Like a grey fox not a Red
Old 09-05-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Like a grey fox not a Red
X2
Old 09-05-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The silver fox is a melanistic form of the red fox (Vulpes vulpes). Silver foxes display a great deal of pelt variation. Some are completely glossy black except for a white colouration on the tip of the tail, giving them a somewhat silvery appearance. Some silver foxes are bluish-grey, and some may have a cinereous colour on the sides.

Historically, silver foxes were among the most valued fur-bearers, and their pelts were frequently worn by nobles in Russia, Western Europe, and China.] Wild silver foxes do not naturally reproduce exclusively with members of the same coat morph and can be litter mates with the common red variety, although captive populations bred for their fur and as pets are almost exclusively mated with members of the same colour.
Even if they are not fed, foxes are pretty tame. We have had them in the garden in Calgary and here, they will sit and watch us in the yard. No aggression, just curious. Have seen Silver and Red Fox way back in the bush, they generally don't run off unless you get real close to them.

I also had one that would sit on the edge of the gopher patch I was shooting, when I would move down a couple of hundred yards to shoot the next area he would cleanup the ones I killed, then sit at the edge of that area till I moved again. He was very cute and after I saw him the first time I shot the gophers in his area with no lead 17 HMR just to make sure he wasn't ingesting lead fragments.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-05-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Even if they are not fed, foxes are pretty tame. We have had them in the garden in Calgary and here, they will sit and watch us in the yard. No aggression, just curious. Have seen Silver and Red Fox way back in the bush, they generally don't run off unless you get real close to them.

I also had one that would sit on the edge of the gopher patch I was shooting, when I would move down a couple of hundred yards to shoot the next area he would cleanup the ones I killed, then sit at the edge of that area till I moved again. He was very cute and after I saw him the first time I shot the gophers in his area with no lead 17 HMR just to make sure he wasn't ingesting lead fragments.
I'm sure they could get aggressive if they have rabies, but I've never ever felt threatened by any of the ones I've seen. They're beautiful looking animals, always a treat to see one.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Yeah I never... ever... see people feeding elk outside Jasper townsite. It's my favourite when a park warden comes flying up on a group of people that are 10 feet away from a herd just trying to graze unbothered. I hope they all get nice fines.
We were there last week , big bull elk at the side of the road, when a Parks lady showed up with a hockey stick and some flagging to put the run on him. He was not a happy camper, thrashing the bushes with his antlers. I told her, better be careful I wouldn't be doing that.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-05-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Ah...they're so cute when they are sleeping...