Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2022, 10:52 PM

Default Headlamp Suggestions?

Hey all, I swear I've seen a forum for this already but I'm not sure if I'm not using the search function properly or what but I can't seem to find it.

I am in the market for a headlamp for both work and home. I want one for when I'm working in cabinets on trucks or underneath of them so I can have both hands free. Plus most truck bodies we work with are aluminum so my magnetic lights are kinda useless. I want one for at home or camping for anything I gotta do outside since it's getting darker earlier and earlier this time of year. I'm hoping to take advantage of Labour Day sales this weekend. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-02-2022, 11:00 PM
Banned

Cabela's by Princeton Tec Alaskan Guide Series QUL Headlamp, I use mine for up in attics and setting decoys in the morning. I really like this one.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:48 AM

Olight is a forum sponsor I think and they have some you should look at
Old 09-03-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Hey all, I swear I've seen a forum for this already but I'm not sure if I'm not using the search function properly or what but I can't seem to find it.

I am in the market for a headlamp for both work and home. I want one for when I'm working in cabinets on trucks or underneath of them so I can have both hands free. Plus most truck bodies we work with are aluminum so my magnetic lights are kinda useless. I want one for at home or camping for anything I gotta do outside since it's getting darker earlier and earlier this time of year. I'm hoping to take advantage of Labour Day sales this weekend. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Very happy with my black diamond, lots of features and don’t break the bank. One member said they were on clearance @ Breathe outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2022, 08:13 AM

I’ve had a few over the years with mixed results. To be very honest I’ve found some of the cheaper ones you find at lowes to be just as good as the brand names. I think right now I have a couple “energizer” branded ones that I keep in my truck and bam pack etc… price was 15-20$ came with energizer batteries has low medium and high white light as well as a red light. Honestly have to say they out preform the Princeton Tecones I have. Worth a look.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:33 AM

Nitecore. Mine is the HC50 runs 18650s, used daily for 5 yrs now.

Picked it because of the high CRI index for alt use as a video light-more than a few guys see me using it filming in the field and end up ordering one.

Mine is bomber, the new ones (HC65 ?) are even better.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-03-2022, 08:40 AM

Good advice people of the forum (our realm lol) Been thinking of one also for me and my lady for the night time walks and when I drop something in our camp spots.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:49 AM

Very happy with my Princeton Tec. It's got a slide up red filter as well so you can use it without ruining your night vision.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:54 AM

For home use I’d get one of those 3 packs that I see around.
MEC has a good assortment of higher end ones, I rarely support them but now that they’re “newly owned” I might shop more. Anyway they’ve got some nice ones there.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:11 AM

Picked up a coast headlamp, for the wife at Canadian tire, liked it so much went back and got one for myself. Plenty bright enough I think 250-350 lumens, two settings hi- lo and red.
It's all I need to field dress as animal in the dark or walk out of the bush in the dark, plus reasonably priced, besides I tend to loose them quite easily so I'm not out a whole bunch if that happens again!
Old 09-03-2022, 01:42 PM

Breathe Outdoors has the 350 lumen Black Diamond headlamps on clearance in their Edmonton store. I have one that I use for hunting and it’s really great for what I need it for.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’ve had a few over the years with mixed results. To be very honest I’ve found some of the cheaper ones you find at lowes to be just as good as the brand names. I think right now I have a couple “energizer” branded ones that I keep in my truck and bam pack etc… price was 15-20$ came with energizer batteries has low medium and high white light as well as a red light. Honestly have to say they out preform the Princeton Tecones I have. Worth a look.
My Energizers, for the price, are great. I bought a two-pack for around $25, and the package came with batteries.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 09-03-2022, 05:53 PM

Black diamond lights are great and I think they might have a rechargeable battery pack now. Breath calgary also has some in clearance. Recently been using pretzel with their rechargeable battery pack. Lights are comparable I personally liked the black diamonontrols bit better but the petzel has a cool lantern sort of case you can get which I really like.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:47 PM

I’ve used headlamps for

Setting up geese in the patch

Hiking out of blowdown with a elk on my back.

And trail run over 20-30k routes in the middle of the night.

I use 2 of those 3 LED energizer headband lamps

Plus one of the bigger yellow krypton bulb energizers (almost a spotlight really)

Been using them for over 17 years.

You don’t need to buy expensive. They’re great. They last.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-03-2022, 09:39 PM

Picked up the "Outdoor Essentials" kit at $30 off I felt like I couldn't go wrong with it: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14752...d-lights-combo The knife is just a beater throw in the truck knife that I can use in a pinch or if I don't want to use my good CRKT to cut something real hard on blades. The camp light will be thrown in the random gear container that I can grab and bring camping or in a pinch if I need a light at home for something. 24 hour run time on low if it's your last light source isn't bad! The headlamp seems ok, lots of different light options and very adjustable. Will see how it holds up.

Picked up this cap light: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14900...umen-cap-light I figured at $10 and the fact that I wear a hat all day everyday, it's good for an emergency light for low cost.

Lastly, I picked up a Tikkina from made by Petzl: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13492...kkina-headlamp Petzl and Black Diamond seem to be the cream of the crop when it comes to headlamps, so I wanted something a little higher end to compare to the Cabela's brand headlamp. My biggest concern is the headband losing it's elasticity over time and use. We will see, thanks to everyone who dropped their favourite lamps!
Old 09-04-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Picked up the "Outdoor Essentials" kit at $30 off I felt like I couldn't go wrong with it: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14752...d-lights-combo The knife is just a beater throw in the truck knife that I can use in a pinch or if I don't want to use my good CRKT to cut something real hard on blades. The camp light will be thrown in the random gear container that I can grab and bring camping or in a pinch if I need a light at home for something. 24 hour run time on low if it's your last light source isn't bad! The headlamp seems ok, lots of different light options and very adjustable. Will see how it holds up.

Picked up this cap light: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14900...umen-cap-light I figured at $10 and the fact that I wear a hat all day everyday, it's good for an emergency light for low cost.

Lastly, I picked up a Tikkina from made by Petzl: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13492...kkina-headlamp Petzl and Black Diamond seem to be the cream of the crop when it comes to headlamps, so I wanted something a little higher end to compare to the Cabela's brand headlamp. My biggest concern is the headband losing it's elasticity over time and use. We will see, thanks to everyone who dropped their favourite lamps!
You can get band replacements, appears they are universal in size therefore a Fenix band will fit a Petzl etc/plenty of options.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-04-2022, 09:31 AM

If you’re using it as a work light, amd going to be using it very frequently, I’d suggest going with one of the Milwaukee USB rechargeables. Great light, same price point as petzl or black diamond (don’t get me wrong, love my black diamond for hiking and hunting) with no batteries to worry about. Plug it in at the end of the day, good to go in the morning.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:35 PM

Got the chance to use all 3 last night while having a fire at our friends place. Have to say all 3 seem to be more than bright enough for my needs. The red light on the two actual headlamps were great though, any of the bright whites were like looking into the sun!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk