Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Default Crossbow

My father inlaw has gotten a permit to hunt with crossbow do to his age and a bad arm. My question is what is a decent set up.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
My father inlaw has gotten a permit to hunt with crossbow do to his age and a bad arm. My question is what is a decent set up.
There might be a few left at WSS for a real good price. There was at the north location on Tuesday. As for make, you can't go wrong with Excaliber and anything over or around 320 FPS is plenty of speed.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Gone Hunting

There was PSE Fang XL 350 at Wholesale liquidation but they are all gone in Calgary.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM

Perfect
Ill go take a look tomorrow
Old 12-17-2017, 06:21 PM

They had a trigger recall

LC
Old 12-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Arrow

It depends entirely upon how much you are willing to spend obviously, and just what he will be hunting with it.

I have the same permit for Alberta and of course in BC they are allowed in all archery seasons. I greatly prefer the KISS rule, and so went with an Excalibur when I got back into shooting sharp sticks after a somewhat lengthy departure (injuries related). Since, I have gone through three varying models of their bows, and have found each to be Excellent all round.

Current bow is a tricked out Matrix 380. It is capable of taking all North American game with no issues. No press needed, simple design, bulletproof basically, and carries the best warranty in the business bar none. Oh, and their newer models are quite slender, reasonably light, powerful, and extremely accurate (I practice at 100 yards consistently).

Can't go far wrong with one of theirs methinks...

Cheers, And wish your father in law All The Best in his hunting pursuits from me!
Matt
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info friends, my long time hunting partner & I are both inline for the cross bow thing.

Pretty sure we're doing the quality units.

Cry once at the price tag, grin from ear to ear knowing we get it sorted from the get go.

Don
Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Can't beat Excalibur, with either Matrix or Micro line. Difference is large or small and really it's a personal preference between the 2
Old 01-26-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridger View Post
Can't beat Excalibur, with either Matrix or Micro line. Difference is large or small and really it's a personal preference between the 2
Agreed!
Old 02-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Default Ravin

If you want the best of the best check out the Ravin Crossbows. You cant beat them. http://ravincrossbows.com/

I have shot these a few times...incredible!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
If you want the best of the best check out the Ravin Crossbows. You cant beat them.
Yup. Until anything goes wrong (and they do).
That 100 yard crap they are spewing recently should be canned.
Completely out to lunch!!!

Oh, btw...

Cabelas is running Matrix 380's out the door at $ 849.99 right now.
Unreal price for a new one of these!
Damn near thinking of collecting a second...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/45766...act-zone-scope

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Lots of good crossbows out there for far less than 1000. Just like rifles you can spend 1000 if you like on your first rifle for big game hunting but definitely not necessary.

My boys gave me a PSE fang crossbow last year and I spent quite a bit of time practicing with it. It is pretty light, compact and very accurate to 50 yards and shoots my 420 grain bolt/head at about 316fps. 92lbs kinetic.
Picked up some different bolts and some mechanical broadheads and might upgrade the scope this year but I am pretty happy with the overall performance.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Like!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 AM

My hunting partner is doing the Excalibur Cross bow this year, I'm looking into this system since I already have a bow, accessories, and supplies for it.

https://www.drawloc.com/drawloc

I'm thinking this system works good for those of us that already own the regular bow.

Don
Old 02-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
My hunting partner is doing the Excalibur Cross bow this year, I'm looking into this system since I already have a bow, accessories, and supplies for it.

https://www.drawloc.com/drawloc

I'm thinking this system works good for those of us that already own the regular bow.

Don
Take your own advice Don..................buy once cry once
Quote:
Cry once at the price tag, grin from ear to ear knowing we get it sorted from the get go
Buy a cross bow and forget the drawlock
Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 PM

^^^ X's 2.

Yes, some times I think I'm finding the savings in frugal.

Once the smoke clears in "most" cases,,, I think after the fact I should of just spent what it would of "normally" cost to get it sorted once.

Totally agree.

Don
Old 02-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Im shooting the matrix 380 <super fast and noisy .has some recoil if you can believe that (true) I should have gotten the same on in the micro .with everything I needed I am over 1700 all together , Cabela sale seems pretty sweet . Warranty is best offered . I dropped the bow and broke the scope ,they had a new one to me 2 days later no questions asked .
the pull is quite heavy if you have very weak shoulders though .
Old 02-06-2018, 11:00 AM

My vote goes for the excal micro 355, with the crank. Light, compact, fast and the accuracy is exceptional.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
My vote goes for the excal micro 355, with the crank. Light, compact, fast and the accuracy is exceptional.
Do you have pics of the crank setup was considering this after neck surgery in a month or so .
Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Do you have pics of the crank setup was considering this after neck surgery in a month or so .
Actually don't have any pics of it, should be able to find some through google. It is certainly not a fast setup and is a bit cumbersome to attach and pack.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Excalibur has a new One

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/crossbows/assassin

The new Assassin looks like it answers all of the questions of the heavy draw weight. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/crossbows/assassin

The new Assassin looks like it answers all of the questions of the heavy draw weight. Best of both worlds.
That is a heck of a bow.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Ravin

I'm currently in the process to try and get my crossbow license. See the doc on Monday. torn tendons and blown rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Hopefully i qualify. Ive been looking Hard at the Ravin Crossbows. Yes they are insanely expensive, but man they seem to perform amazing.

What is the talk about what if something goes wrong? I keep really good care of my Hoyt and every other bow Ive owned. Never ever had a mechanical failure. Are crossbows known for mechanical failure? Do they have regular issues? Or are we talking about neglect like dropping etc? this would help me on my decision for brand choice.

I was all over the Excalibur assassin until I found the Ravin brand. I like how compact it is and the adjustable scope is sweet. If you change anything in your arrow set up that changes speed its easily managed thru a dial on the scope. Having a built in crank and all the goodies mounted and under 9lbs seems good for a guy with bad shoulders. And it sure looks like it would fit thru the bush much better than most units out there. Heck the hard box that can be ordered for them would easily fit on the front rack of my quad and not stick over anywhere.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakal View Post
I'm currently in the process to try and get my crossbow license. See the doc on Monday. torn tendons and blown rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Hopefully i qualify. Ive been looking Hard at the Ravin Crossbows. Yes they are insanely expensive, but man they seem to perform amazing.

What is the talk about what if something goes wrong? I keep really good care of my Hoyt and every other bow Ive owned. Never ever had a mechanical failure. Are crossbows known for mechanical failure? Do they have regular issues? Or are we talking about neglect like dropping etc? this would help me on my decision for brand choice.

I was all over the Excalibur assassin until I found the Ravin brand. I like how compact it is and the adjustable scope is sweet. If you change anything in your arrow set up that changes speed its easily managed thru a dial on the scope. Having a built in crank and all the goodies mounted and under 9lbs seems good for a guy with bad shoulders. And it sure looks like it would fit thru the bush much better than most units out there. Heck the hard box that can be ordered for them would easily fit on the front rack of my quad and not stick over anywhere.

Don't hold your breath...
Old 03-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Banned

Pretty excited Rumour at Cabelas is next year archery season may be open to crossbows through ought the beautiful province Of Alberta..

Calgary BOWZONE is going to be fun along with some great early season ELK no more waiting tell NOV to hunt elk woohoo
Old 03-09-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-noggin View Post
Pretty excited Rumour at Cabelas is next year archery season may be open to crossbows through ought the beautiful province Of Alberta..

Calgary BOWZONE is going to be fun along with some great early season ELK no more waiting tell NOV to hunt elk woohoo
You stop this teasing there nog.....not fair nog....stop it....please

Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 AM

I think my father in law is going to try out the ravin he likes it for blind hunting
Old 03-25-2018, 03:36 AM

Default Excal

The new Excalibur 308 Short Banshee.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 PM

I had an excalibur phonix. Wasn't very accurate. I bought a new excalibur matrix 380 about a year ago & I like it a lot. Hard to caulk though so I bought the winch system for it.