Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Default Boone and Crockett vs SCI

Just wanted to see your guy's thoughts on SCI vs Boone & Crockett are. I don't agree with SCI accepting penned hunts into their record books (at least they designate them in a differnt category) but I do like that they count all of the inches and don't deduct like Boone & Crockett does. However Boone & Crockett does have a higher standard of getting the trophy into the record book and higher minimums which adds legitimacy to it. I believe SCI has Bronze, Silver and Gold level tropy status in their book though to let you seperate the real trophies from an average deer.

I did harvest a huge 3X3 this year and there is no way it will ever meet the Boone and Crockett minimum standards simply because it doesn't have the number of points required to score well, I do however think it would make the SCI book at some level so I am going to submit it to them to document. I am not really looking for recognition for it and I know it won't score well but I do think it is worth documenting because it is unique to have a 3 point that is as big as this one. I have taken several deer over the years that have scored way better than this one but for some reason I feel the need to submit this one.

Anyway just wondering what you guys think about the scoring system from each organization and what you guys think about each one as well as I don't know much about them just the little bit I have read on-line. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 AM

If I killed an animal that qualified for B&C,I might have it officially scored and entered.I would never bother with SCI.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 AM

B&C does not have any scoring system for animals outside of North America, SCI does. So in that regard it's nice for people that have hunted internationally to have an organization that will recognize and score those animals.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
sheephunter

Just two different ways of looking at antlers...one rewards symetry and the other doesn't. I like them both. I love looking through the record books and seeing all the big heads. I don't look at it as vanity to enter a head but rather the gracious sharing of your trophy with fellow hunters. Thanks to those that take the time to share....and thanks to those that take the time to measure.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 AM

I like either,can't wait for the show in Reno Should be a blast as usual.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 AM

To me SCI is like a "kit car". It ain't the real deal.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Default Entering Animals.

Well put TJ! I also feel that entering your animal shows respect for the trophy you harvested. If you’re a meat hunter, fine I can live with that.
Funny to hear hunters balk B&C or P&Y then tell you about the Big 180" deer they supposedly shot! I always tell them that 180lbs really isn’t that big, and then they tell me, “no that’s the score”. That’s when I let them have it!
Records books, be it Alta F&G, B&C, Buck Masters, etc. are great information for trophy hunters and show the valuable trends and the success of game management.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong but does SCI allow the entry of game taken behind high fenced hunts where B&C does not ?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 PM

From what I have read SCI allows "estate hunts" not really sure what that means but it is a seperate category from the free range animals.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Estate = canned more or less from what I understand
Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm not a trophy hunter, but do like to keep in touch with the records, etc.
For me, there are only two record keeping clubs that I pay attention to - P&Y and B&C.
Cat
Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM

I think SCI, is great ! Especially for conservation programs and reconition of hunting accomplishments , such as the North american 29, world sheep and many more. B&C is great also for the same reasons, They truely are the benchmark for score that most people strive for. I'm not a big fan of P&Y, at all !
Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Default Boone & Crockett vs. SCI

Merry Christmas to all. I personally don't think that animals that are raised inside any kind of pen should be allowed in the record books. With that said, I don't agree with the way animals are scored in Boone & Crocket either. Why would someone's idealistic ideas of what the perfect animal should look like be a standard? Mother Nature gives each animal the ability to produce a certain size set of antlers, and that is what it should be credited for. Deductions in my opinion are a crock of bull.... Give the animal for full credit for what it's body was able to produce in a given year. Don't take away from that!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM

Default Sci

Im all for the SCI scoring system. no sense in taking away from an animal what it grew just because its not symetrical. like the saying goes, nets are for fish. As for the penned hunts, its a completely different class, or "record book" all together then free range. They are recognized as being seperate. Not like they are combined. For me it seems that SCI just shows more appreciation for all big mature animals then does B an C.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:02 PM
waylow

I like both. I like SCI because it counts all incheas of bone. What I don't like about B&C is inside spread. Inches of air can really add to the score of average deer. But B&C is what everybody uses and an excellent benchmark to compare deer. I don't like P&Y.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Potty and Waylow, you guys are funny.

Pope and Young uses the exact same scoring system as Boone and Crockett. How can you like one and not the other? Or are you bow haters? Or is this fall out from the crossbow discussion?

Please explain.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Potty and Waylow, you guys are funny.

Pope and Young uses the exact same scoring system as Boone and Crockett. How can you like one and not the other? Or are you bow haters? Or is this fall out from the crossbow discussion?

Please explain.
Thanx, I do know that P&Y are the twin cousin system to B&C.. I don't like the way they run some things and the way they've treated people, in the past. It has nothing to do with the scoring system ! Maybe read the crossbow thread again and see if I'm a bow hater !
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Waylow,

We do measure and count all inches of bone in B&C, its just called the "overall gross" score before deductions.
CLINT
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
sheephunter

Are you a B&C scorer Clint?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Who did they treat bad in the past? I am truly curious.

As for this thread, it was (is) about the scoring systems of SCI and B&C, not the organizations, or so I thought. That is why I was confused by the "I hate P&Y" statements.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Just a recap, the people who have a problem with SCI basically have a problem with them accepting "Estate hunts" into their record book even though it is a separate category and not combined with the free range animals as mentioned above. The problem doesnt lie in the way they score the animals.

I was trying to find out what an estate hunt really is on the net this afternoon, not sure if i have all the facts but it sounds like basically an estate hunt in Africa can be thousands of acres of land someone or an organization owns (still couldnt figure out if it is fenced or not, I was assuming not due to the size of some of these land tracts) either way even if it did have a high fence around it the acreage in most cases was so large that it wouldnt have mattered hunting them would be as hard as a free range animal. In North America these "estate hunts" are what most people are referring to as canned hunts, where a relatively small tract of land is fenced and game is basically kept in captivity.

This is just what I was able to figure out looking around the net so dont know if it is accurate or just my perception of what I found.

As for the P&Y stuff I dont have a clue about them as I havent hunted bow for several years, feel free to comment on them as well but try not to derail the thread. The purpose of this thread was to find out peoples thoughts on SCI and B&C or other scoring organizations. Thanks for the posts everyone!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Both SCI and B+C have there good and bad. It basicly comes down to what the hunter wants. Both are private clubs.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Have A B&C Scorer in my family. Don't always agree with the system. But it is their system so whatever. Am also A member of SCI. And what I really like about them is their public face. Always doing things in and for the communities they have chapters in. Our local chapter has built A fish pond with A wheelchair accessible dock for the area residents that would be unable to fish otherwise. Long term care, youth programs, etc. Offering the hunter education course to local youth. Things like this that raise the profile of all hunters is A great thing. I don't see as much of these type projects out of B&C. They both have A place no doubt and supporting either organization as A sportsman is always A good thing. And as far as entering something. Enter it in all of them if it qualifies to the standards set out by any organization if you want. Or none of them if you don't really care.

WM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 PM

I agree with Pottymouth. I fall more into lines with SCI way of thinking. Reno is one of the greatest places in the world in Jan

tm
Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I agree with Pottymouth. I fall more into lines with SCI way of thinking. Reno is one of the greatest places in the world in Jan

tm
You going this year TM?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

tm
Man , I missed last year which would have been the best on eto go to. Hopefully the stars allign and I make it to this years.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Man , I missed last year which would have been the best on eto go to. Hopefully the stars allign and I make it to this years.
They're all good ones to go to...lol
Old 12-23-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
They're all good ones to go to...lol
A little more special when your on the recieving end of some hardware!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
Waylow,

We do measure and count all inches of bone in B&C, its just called the "overall gross" score before deductions.
CLINT
So why penalize an animal for what it grew!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You going this year TM?
Nope........I wish

I get to go shoot my first deer next year tho

tm