Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Wife says "Move the coyote guns back to safe when not in use".

A few weeks ago guess the boss was tired of vacuuming around the 22-250's parked in the living room so asked if they would be going back to the safe soon. I replied no since a coyote gun on a bird farm is generally useles if always locked up so I like to keep them "handy" for both myself and my son. Seems she banged them with vacuum power nozzle so hoped they would be out of way "soon".
Now I had to go back to Ontario for a week due to an urgent family matter so had not done any coyote hunting since the beginning of the month until this week. I killed one Sunday at the neighbors and when I walked up to him I was surprized the SXSP had done so much pelt damage as a good 6 inch slit had opened up on the neck. When I fired this coyote was walking away from me so I was aiming for rear when he stopped and looked back at me.
This morning on a broadside shot I walked up to find out the hit once again was in the neck so it appears the rifle is consistently shooting to the right.
Talked to the boss when I got home this morning to see how hard the rifles were "knocked" by the power nozzle and found out both were knocked over while sitting on bipods. Guess I am sighting in again this afternoon and putting them away when not in use in the future.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Build/Buy a wall rack for them. Everyone's happy.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM
sheephunter

Women always find a way to make their point!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Two words, Iron sights.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Happy wife happy life is all i have to say, the wall rack will probably be a happy median.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Screwing a gun rack on her freshly painted 2010 accent walls. You guys don't know my wife. A hanging gun rack in the rec room maybe, main floor not going to happen. Besides I figured bipods had them up and off carpet a little bit so should be good to go.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Just curious, do you remove the bolts,install trigger locks,or have the rifles secured when you or your son are not present in the house?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM

They make so many wimins, they even sell a few !
Tell her you'll just buy a new one if she don't sharpen up !

Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM

i usually keep my yote guns in the closet by the door when on the farm. easy and quick acess. yet out of sight and out of mind. might keep the wife happier as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just curious, do you remove the bolts,install trigger locks,or have the rifles secured when you or your son are not present in the house?
You get a shiny new badge today elk?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
just made my day! thanks hahaha
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok Sheep wins for the ZINGER of the year award.

Congrats

Jamie
Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Default elkhunter11

Depends? If I am gone for any length of time they are locked up in safe which Po'd my son while I was in Ontario for he didn't have access and a couple times the coyotes walked across the south field while I was away.
If just a quick trip to town or city I leave at least one out if he is home.
don't bother with trigger locks for same access reason I dont keep in safe during coyote season. Bolt and ammunition are stored separately but "family" knows where everything is if needed. Farms have different safe storage requirements so we generally have to have one or another firearm "reasonably" available so long as an adult is present.
Might be rifle or shotgun depending on time of year and target species i.e. sparrows, starlings, magpies, crows, coyotes etc
I feed hundreds of gamebirds daily but prefer feeding the lead option for the varmints/pests.
Rob
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
he has a point.....
Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Since when does a person need a badge to ask a question?I guess that I should have ended the question with an LOL so that you would understand it.

Quote:
If just a quick trip to town or city I leave at least one out if he is home.
don't bother with trigger locks for same access reason I dont keep in safe during coyote season. Bolt and ammunition are stored separately but "family" knows where everything is if needed.
Question asked and answered,and no one but Sheephunter seemed bothered by the question being asked.I wonder why that is?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Since when does a person need a badge to ask a question?I guess that I should have ended the question with an LOL so that you would understand it.
Playing cop twice in one day...especially when one was in response to someone's sig line does seem a bit odd....unless you did get a new badge ....I was just curious. Also, why assume Mrs. wwbirds doesn't have a PAL of her own. They even have the right to vote these days you know
Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Sheep and elk

It is OK they took away our metal badges in 1998 and embedded them in plastic so we had to use a plastic look alike (with a different number) until I retired in 2002 and that one was embedded in plastic as well.
So as it turns out I have two shiny badges, one for each of you to play with in the sandbox if you play nice. ROFLMAO
Rob
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I am Dave C, and I approve this zinger!

Nice.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Playing cop twice in one day...especially when one was in response to someone's sig line does seem a bit odd....
I was merely pointing out that the add placed in the signature line was proposing something that is illegal in Alberta.Being that you have discussed that very subject on these forums,and you have posted in the past that is illegal,I am actually surprised that you yourself didn't go running to the moderators to report it.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
So as it turns out I have two shiny badges, one for each of you to play with in the sandbox if you play nice. ROFLMAO
Rob
Give them both to Sheephunter,badges don't impress me,but Sheephunter seemed to get jealous when he suspected that I might have one.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Give them both to Sheephunter,badges don't impress me,but Sheephunter seemed to get jealous when he suspected that I might have one.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

I've gone through the same thing with my wife during hunting season. When I get back in the evening and I'm going out again first thing in the morning my rifle doesn't always make it back into the safe. If she finds out then she definitely let's me know.

Just so you know, I have a buddy that owns a quarter and one night a few years ago he put his truck into the ditch and walked the rest of the way home. The next day the RCMP showed up to see if he was okay. One of them noticed a 22-250 by the doorway and the next day they showed up with a search warrant. They charged him and confiscated every rifle and gun that he had and he didn't get them back for a year. Listen to your wife and put them out of sight.

I'm working on re-wording that sig line BTW.

Ya gotta admit that badge thing was pretty funny!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM

Default 6 inches high at 100 yards

it is too d*** cold out there for bench rest shooting or hauling all the gear out in the field but 3 shots at 35 yards looked OK so I backed off to 100 and just fired off hood of truck with bipod. Windage fine but were we ever high.
Just adjusted 30 cliks down to get it where I want it and will try again tomorrow. it is actuallly quite funny that I killed the two I shot at this week with the rifle shooting as high as it was!
yup the badge comment was funny and some of the replies were even funnier. Expecting the mods to shut it down any minute now.

Dave I guess the rules for safe storage are rather unclear but with someone present (adult) at all times I consider an unloaded rifle on the farm to be safely stored. If we are away or expecting company, children etc they are locked away. My youngest is 19 and trained and licenced so it is not like anyone irresponsible has access to them.
Rob

Last edited by wwbirds; 12-21-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: info
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM

here is a great solution to yer delema,
JUST MT OUT THE GUN SAFE STUFF THE WIFE IN IT LOCK IT UP UNTIL YER READY TO USE HER LOL THEN WHEN YER ALL DONE JUST PUT HER BACK IN THE SAFE PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Every once in a while it seems the marriage gods will shine on us poor stupid husbands. I think this is one of those times.
If I remember her birthday or our anniversary or that day in Dec. I can't seem to think of a nice romantic yet useful gift.

This sounds like a deluxe , one of, opportunity.

Why not check out NAIT or SAIT and enroll her in a Vacuuming 101 class. It would take care of the sloppy vacuuming and her Christmas present at the same time. This could develop into a degree course possibly.

For Valentines, you could get her going on Garage cleaning. Since she would have had the vacuuming course already they may bump her up to an intermediate level.

Yard work, Jams and Jellies, vehicle home maintenance, the list is endless.

Yanno, come to think of it, banging your guns around was probably a hint. Yep, I'll bet it was a hint for what she wants for Christmas. Wow! how did I miss that. It's a hint

Hope this helps and have a great Christmas.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Default UCRTW & Redfrog

You know I don't know how I stayed married for 33 years without your help. Wish I would have been told about putting her in the safe prior to dropping all this money on Christams presents though. Could have picked up a 22-250 for her as well so she would have one of her own as I am pretty sure she has no use for the Browning now that it was shooting high and who know what the BRNO is doing.
Boy am I ever lucky having friends on AO!
Have a great Christmas to all
Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
sheephunter

If you can get a new 22-250 for her I say go for it...sounds like a fair trade to me...if they throw a scope in of course
Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Interestingly enough, I picked up the pamphlet on Storing, Transporting, and Displaying Firearms yesterday as I wanted to check the exact wording it contained.

It says:

Quote:
An unlocked non-restricted firearm can be kept unlocked:

- temporarily if it is needed to control animal predators in an area where a firearm can lawfully be fired (ammunition must be kept separate or locked up);

- in a remote wilderness area (ammunition may be kept readily accessible).
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Default Sheephunter

Is Leupold OK or does it have to be a Swaro to be a fair trade? I doubt she is stilll on warrenty.
Rob