Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Wilmore Backcountry Archery Bear Hunt

Hey Gentlemen,

My first thread!

I was hoping to glean some wisdom from all of you for a spring bow hunt for blackies in the backcountry of wilmore. Spot and stalk of course.

I can't seem to find any info online.

Is there even any books you might recommend?

I have no idea where to start. Will go pick up some great maps in the new year.
From what I can find for maps online, I am thinking of driving on the dirt road by mount Hamell (?) and jumping down to sheep creek and following that to some south facing slopes etc.

any thoughts or ideas and wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas!!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I haven't hunted in the willmore but used to hunt bears around grande cache, we used to put lots of miles on watching clear cuts and grassy hill sides for bears then put a stock on them.

timba
Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Im NO Wilmore expert, I have spent over 30 days in there now and have only ever seen a few blackies, It almost seems like there are more grizz in there than blacks but thats just my observation. It would be a fun hunt though thats for sure!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

^^^ there are blacks, but the griz population is high and they will claim the best slopes. the blacks seem to be on edge a little more in there. sounds like the op is looking for more of an adventure than a sure thing kill. there are much better areas in this province to fill a black bear tag...but for some the trip is worth more than the dead animal at the end. good luck to you!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't think there are too many black bears in the Willmore. I have been in and around this area for the past 5 years and never have seen a black bear, only grizzly.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
I haven't hunted in the willmore but used to hunt bears around grande cache, we used to put lots of miles on watching clear cuts and grassy hill sides for bears then put a stock on them.

timba
This is the best way to hunt bears in the GC area, the key is to put the miles on.

In the spring the South slopes of Hammel mnt and area are crawling with tics. Like the guys said there's a healthy grizz population in the Willmore and the number of sightings by sheep and elk hunters is almost unbelievable. Your on the right track with the river valleys and open slopes. Stick around the Smokey river and it's tribs. and you'll find bears.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM

i have spent 70-90 days in there and have never seen a black bear lol seen 20 grizzlys...its a beautiful place but i wouldnt hunt bears in there
Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Sounds like you're planning on hunting outside of the Willmore Wilderness (Hamel and lower Sheep Ck), good spots for bears. I'm sure you know that there is no motorized access in the Willmore, foot/horse only.

I travel extensively in the Willmore and see the occasional blackie, but mostly grizzlies.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Sounds like you're planning on hunting outside of the Willmore Wilderness (Hamel and lower Sheep Ck), good spots for bears. I'm sure you know that there is no motorized access in the Willmore, foot/horse only.

I travel extensively in the Willmore and see the occasional blackie, but mostly grizzlies.
Only place we saw bears were on the way in, along the Smoky.
Grizz
Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Default You guys make this forum great!

Hey All Thanks for the replies! I had no idea I would get sucha great response already!

Yeah it's more about having a hike with a purpose! And of course trying to get an idea for elk for fall.

The biggest reason I wanted to hunt this area was the fact that there is no motorized allowed. I've been tired lately of hiking for hours only to have a quad or truck come up from behind and then go spook everything ahead of me........

I wasn't too concerned about a kill last spring, but I would love to have a bear rug for baby photos this summer!!

Anywhere else I should look for a "no motorized" area with lots of blackies?
I'm willing to put in the miles on foot!!

Tags
bear hunt, wilmore