Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 AM

Default muzzel loading Scope

I was just wanting some input as to weather or not a guy should buy a ml scope or not? If you think so what would you buy as I am looking to purchase a new ml and scope. thanks for the advice.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:15 PM

I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 on mine. If I was to buy a new scope I'd take a real good look at a scope made for a mz'ler. One with the lines in it for the different distances.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM

First choice is the Nikon Omega accurate out to 200 meters
Old 12-21-2010, 07:01 PM

This fall I picked up a Bushnell 3200 DOA 250 for my new muzzle loader.
I have shot it out 250 yards and it is very accurate on its yardage marks.
I have nope problem recommending this one.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 PM

Floppy,

I currently do most of my hunting for whitetails with a muzzleloader. Biggest mistake I made off the get go was not buying a muzzleloader scope. Problem with non muzzleloader scopes is short eye relief, meaning your eye is sitting closer to the scope. Since muzzleloaders tend to have some wicked recoil, standard scopes can often lead to scope bite. Scopes for magnum rifles aren't bad, but something like the Nikon Omega, with a 5" eye relief, or the Leupold Ultimate Slam, with a 4.5" eye relief, give you the ability to use a muzzleloader with the least chance of smacking yourself in the face.
Another advantage is that these M.L. scopes are also equipped with proper ballistically compensated reticles for modern muzzleloading firearms to achieve maximum effectiveness from your muzzleloader. Once you find your most accurate load and sabot combo, just find the power on the scope that allows the reticles to work with your load.
To sum it up, best option for a M.L. is an appropriate M.L. scope. The scopes I listed also only run about $300.00 give or take a couple bucks.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 PM

take a peek at the Leupold Ultimate Slam, has tick marks for out to 300 yards for muzzleloader, can use the same scope for shotgun slug , or 2 and 3 pellet muzzleloading. Mine is bang on in shotgun mode.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:56 AM

Leupold ultimate slam. I have one on my Omega. I shoot it with 250 SST and 150g pyrodex. It has marks out to 300yrds and it's bang on. Real nice scope and as said before lots of eye relieve
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM

First and foremost buy the best you can afford!I cheaped out on my first one and ended up replaceing it.Secondly go into a store(like P&D that has no problems helping you)and try them all out.I walked in wanting one of two different scopes and ended up with a Nikon 3-9X40 Prostaff.It was cheaper then the two I wanted and when we tried them outside the glass was so much crisper than the other ones.I wanted the ones with the bullet drop lines but when I tried them,they never really done it for me.Eye relief on it just fine and there is enough room to adjust it on the rings to fit right.