Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Question 406 Elk Bowhunt

Hey all.

I'm fairly new to Alberta, only 8 or so months now. I live in Turner Valley. I've been thinking about doing a backpack elk bowhunt next fall. I've been elk hunting once before in MB, and this fall I went out west of Turner Valley to practice calling elk - which went well, BTW. Anyways, being fairly close to the 406 unit I thought it may be a good area to apply for a draw.

I've tried to do some searching on this site but it seems info is scarce. The few things I've read say that there are some elk in there, but they can be challenging to find. I don't mind walking at all, I actually love to explore. I'm looking for some pointers about where to start, as it is a fairly large area. I've heard of some guys packing horses into Rock Creek area.

I was thinking of scouting up in that area, maybe Volcano Creek. I know that the Bluerock Wildland and Sheep River PP are in the area, and as I understand those are off limits to hunting, yes?

Any pointers to help me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

-Sean
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 PM
sheephunter

The actual archery season in 406 spans only two weeks and are not the best calling weeks IMHO so after that you'd be competing with the rifle hunters. You don't have to draw for the archery season but you would have to if you wanted to hunt after that. Lots of elk in 406, especially for someone willing to put some miles on.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM

definatley some good elk to be had there , just like SH said if your willing to put on some miles you will find what your looking for !!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

I have a camp on Rock Creek. Hunt Cougar pass, Forget me not, Volcano, Three point and Sheep. I go in with horses, if you go in on foot, good luck. We can pack out your elk for you. $150.00 one way. You'll probably pass it up on the internet. But when the elk is down in Rock creek and you gotta packout, well then we'll talk.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Sheep's right - the season isn't ideal for calling. You would want to draw a tag in the zone to hunt into October and November. Nothing stopping you from using a bow in the draw season but you will be outgunned. Also - no sunday hunting in the area until Nov if you're a weekend warrior.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I realize that the archery season is not the best for calling, which is why I was thinking of applying for a draw. Does the area see a lot of pressure?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I have a camp on Rock Creek. Hunt Cougar pass, Forget me not, Volcano, Three point and Sheep. I go in with horses, if you go in on foot, good luck. We can pack out your elk for you.. You'll probably pass it up on the internet. But when the elk is down in Rock creek and you gotta packout, well then we'll talk.
I may need your phone number.....

"$150.00 one way"

Which direction?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I may need your phone number.....

"$150.00 one way"

Which direction?
hey WB ,

I will have all the horses we will need next year .. Got 4 now , just need one more and we are good to go !!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
hey WB ,

I will have all the horses we will need next year .. Got 4 now , just need one more and we are good to go !!

I have two. Just need to catch them and break them.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM

I hunted 406 and only 406 for 6 years mostly on the elbow loop trails.The Elk were bugling from the end of August right through untill mid October.Most of the best responses I had were in the early bow season before the bulls had thier cows.The legal bulls were tough to call in once the rut was in swing in mid Sept.

I packed a couple out on foot and game cart, its tough sledding in that country.

The area above has fewer Elk than before as far as I can tell(at least on foot)

Turner Valley and west is probably still a good bet,but the only Bull Elk I saw there last bow season was a 4 point. I am headed in there again next bow season if my old legs are up to it,just may have to call that packer if I arrow one.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I have a camp on Rock Creek. Hunt Cougar pass, Forget me not, Volcano, Three point and Sheep. I go in with horses, if you go in on foot, good luck. We can pack out your elk for you. $150.00 one way. You'll probably pass it up on the internet. But when the elk is down in Rock creek and you gotta packout, well then we'll talk.
How much for a Moose?

Tags
406, bowhunting, elk