Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Default WMU 212 Late Season Elk

Just wondering how everyone ( those who got drawn ) are doing? Hows access...Landowners being co-operative in permission???
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Just missed getting one last night, with the truck...
Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Default 212 Elk

Have been turned down once by a landowner who said they decided not to allow hunters on their land this year. How are you doing with the permission requests?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 PM

A buddy that has the tag was out last week and again this past weekend and is finding it hard to find permission. It seems that the land holding no animals is a go but the land with the elk still the same NO...
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
A buddy that has the tag was out last week and again this past weekend and is finding it hard to find permission. It seems that the land holding no animals is a go but the land with the elk still the same NO...
x2
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 AM

if you have the dec tag starting now you can imagine why they are getting no. Even if you have the January tag starting now will likely not work. Guys were out in October and November lining up permission.

Remember the entire zone is open, not just the area on the map SRD provided.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Seen 2 herds this AM, one heard was just east of the trap range....
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 PM

apparently I'm wrong and only the area on the map is included in this years hunt.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 PM

Even if the sign on the gate says hunting permission is full, knock on the door.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
trouty apparently I'm wrong and only the area on the map is included in this years hunt.
Not true...I talked to Rodger from High River F&W and he says the whole zone is wide open. They ( F&W ) would really like it if you hunted within the mapped area. When you purchase your TAG the only restrictions on the tag is that you must have written permission. The tag is valid for WMU 212 Antlerless elk
Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Not true...I talked to Rodger from High River F&W and he says the whole zone is wide open. They ( F&W ) would really like it if you hunted within the mapped area. When you purchase your TAG the only restrictions on the tag is that you must have written permission. The tag is valid for WMU 212 Antlerless elk
Kinda interesting as it seems liked a mixed message when you look at the paperwork and chat with different people about it eh?

I've got a draw in the 2nd season but not sure I'll even get up there for the hunt. I may though if that itch gets to be enough...lol
Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM

A guy with a tag tells me it is clear on the paperwork given this year. Guy I know had the tag last year as well and the paperwork is different. Wouldn't be surprised if someone wasn't informed.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
A guy with a tag tells me it is clear on the paperwork given this year. Guy I know had the tag last year as well and the paperwork is different. Wouldn't be surprised if someone wasn't informed.
Thats what I was going on. From what I remember the paperwork is pretty clear and thats the impression I was under.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned

Here is a helpful suggestion....Instead of going to the farmer or rancher in November or December looking fo permission in your camo gear do it earlier. Go see the rancher in early June and show up in your best clothing so you don't look like a hunter. Ask him about his winter and his herd and how the price of beef is. You might want to ask him about the rain or lack of it.

Tell him you understand the farmers plight. Perhaps there is a way you could assist him? He is more likely to allow you to hunt later. If he does let you hunt or agrees to let you hunt for God sakes buy him a bottle of the best wiskey you can buy. Nothing comes for nothing.Remember that
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 PM

I have a tag as well. I'm waiting for a reponse from F&W Head office regarding the hunting zone.

According to several officers, one office worker, and most importantly, the LEGISLATION, All of WMU 212 is open under this tag.

See Table 4, Item #28

http://iijcan.info/en/ab/laws/regu/a...-143-1997.html

IMO, The information letter and map is purposefully misleading and NOT based on a legal document.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 12-11-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks Walking Buffalo....thats sure interesting!

I really should get out in the season when it opens up...motivation is low though after a rough season! lol
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 PM

I've spoken to two F&W officers and they both assure me that All of WMU 212 is open to this hunt. I first called F&W back in Aug or Sept when the info package was sent out. I was very disapointed to find out that there was a Map attached outlining the hunt boundry. When i applied for the WMU 212 Antlerless draw there was no mention of most of the zone being excluded. Thats when I first talked to High River F&W and was told that although they want all hunters to stay within the map boundry...there is nothing to say that you could not hunt other areas with in WMU 212.
The map( within the package ) clearly shows the hunt boundry...that's the part that had me confused. However after talking to F&W they assured me and were willing to put it in writing that ALL of WMU 212 is open to the hunt.
I wouldnt have made a big deal about it, but all the permission I have is just North or East of the map boundry, Ive been bowhunting the same property's for over 15 years.
Quote:
See Table 4, Item #28

http://iijcan.info/en/ab/laws/regu/a...-143-1997.html

IMO, The information letter and map is purposefully misleading and NOT based on a legal document.
You my friend are a wealth of knowledge...Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM

I just called High River F&W and was told it was not true that you can hunt the whole WMU 212. I told them that a landowner just outside the hunt zone wanted to give me permission and they said that it was ok. I little grey area there but...

If you can get permission close to the zone from a landowner and give F&W a call and confirm it's ok, that might be the best way to go.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
I just called High River F&W and was told it was not true that you can hunt the whole WMU 212. I told them that a landowner just outside the hunt zone wanted to give me permission and they said that it was ok. I little grey area there but...

If you can get permission close to the zone from a landowner and give F&W a call and confirm it's ok, that might be the best way to go.
So High River F&W told you it is OK to hunt outside of a legal hunt boundary?
They are giving you permission to break the law?

As stated, the letter and hunt map is NOT based on law. All of 212 is open for hunting under the 212 tag.

This is pizzing me off. I understand that F&W wants hunters to focus the harvest in the map area. But that is no reason to mislead us with the impression given in the letter that we are limited to this area only.

When talking with F&W, ask them to email the legislation regarding the hunt boundary for 212. You will find that the only written law is that ALL of 212 is open under this tag.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
So High River F&W told you it is OK to hunt outside of a legal hunt boundary?
They are giving you permission to break the law?

As stated, the letter and hunt map is NOT based on law. All of 212 is open for hunting under the 212 tag.

This is pizzing me off. I understand that F&W wants hunters to focus the harvest in the map area. But that is no reason to mislead us with the impression given in the letter that we are limited to this area only.

When talking with F&W, ask them to email the legislation regarding the hunt boundary for 212. You will find that the only written law is that ALL of 212 is open under this tag.

Definitely confusing to say the least. You're probably right about everything. I won't take a chance without calling them if I'm hunting outside but they probably can't do anything about it. It is misleading for sure.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Another suggestion. When inquiring about the 212 elk draw, DON'T call the High River office, call any other office.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Another suggestion. When inquiring about the 212 elk draw, DON'T call the High River office, call any other office.
This whole thing is a JOKE and a real **** off.

Again, looking at the map and the letter sent out, they are misleading people into thinking that there is a hunt 'boundary' when the legislation seems to say otherwise and they will allow it.

I've got a tag in January....really gotta decide if I'll get out there or not!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

I was not even going to buy the tag this year as I tagged out. But I could not help but buy the tag after going out and seeing hundreds of them were I can go. So I go get my tag and head out. All the elk moved just off the property. So I contact the owners of the land to where they had gone. All I herd was how I have already let a FEW on. I asked to were these people are so they could shot there's and give others a chance. I herd this from everybody other than a few .I can not believe how many time I was well with in range but they were just on the other side of the fence. I thought all land owners and F&W wanted numbers down? So why is it when people ask they say no??? Even when they own almost a quarter of the map presented in the envelope. I live in calgary and hunt the bow zone almost evey night during regular season. So it is not like I don't know most of these people but there are some I don't cause of land changing hands. All in all I think this hunt is a joke. Also why the hell is it only during the week? I have only seen 2 other hunters all week long through out the whole zone. Sure sounds like this hunt aint getting to many. Good thing I got my bull in october to help with this elk problem cause a lack of landowner cooperation made it so I did not help with the cows. Oh well next month my wife has a tag in a gun zone. Slam dunk. I hope all others that actually went out got there's other than just tieing up all permission so others could just look instead of kill some.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
I was not even going to buy the tag this year as I tagged out. But I could not help but buy the tag after going out and seeing hundreds of them were I can go. So I go get my tag and head out. All the elk moved just off the property. So I contact the owners of the land to where they had gone. All I herd was how I have already let a FEW on. I asked to were these people are so they could shot there's and give others a chance. I herd this from everybody other than a few .I can not believe how many time I was well with in range but they were just on the other side of the fence. I thought all land owners and F&W wanted numbers down? So why is it when people ask they say no??? Even when they own almost a quarter of the map presented in the envelope. I live in calgary and hunt the bow zone almost evey night during regular season. So it is not like I don't know most of these people but there are some I don't cause of land changing hands. All in all I think this hunt is a joke. Also why the hell is it only during the week? I have only seen 2 other hunters all week long through out the whole zone. Sure sounds like this hunt aint getting to many. Good thing I got my bull in october to help with this elk problem cause a lack of landowner cooperation made it so I did not help with the cows. Oh well next month my wife has a tag in a gun zone. Slam dunk. I hope all others that actually went out got there's other than just tieing up all permission so others could just look instead of kill some.
Your Hunting in the Yuppy Land,(BowZone) around calgary.It's always hard to get permission in wmu 212 For any kind of access on land.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Your Hunting in the Yuppy Land,(BowZone) around calgary.It's always hard to get permission in wmu 212 For any kind of access on land.
I have hunted all of these places other than one before. It aint my first rodeo in this zone. Also I have family that use to own land down where this hunt is so I can normally get in were others can't. I just don't understand this hunt. They got over 100 animals in the trap on Mannix's place. I bet not more than 20 get killed on this hunt due to lack of coop from everybody.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
I have hunted all of these places other than one before. It aint my first rodeo in this zone. Also I have family that use to own land down where this hunt is so I can normally get in were others can't. I just don't understand this hunt. They got over 100 animals in the trap on Mannix's place. I bet not more than 20 get killed on this hunt due to lack of coop from everybody.
You should work on your gammar. It's quite possible most people are thinking you are lacking some brain cells if you keep typing out rants that hardly make sense. Just my honest opinion.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox208 View Post
You should work on your grammar. It's quite possible most people are thinking you are lacking some brain cells if you keep typing out rants that hardly make sense. Just my honest opinion.
I am definitly not lacking brain cell bud. I am horrible at spelling grammer and all english related stuff. I am sick of how people have no common sence of what this hunt is about. Lower numbers. Not saving things for a buddy or too. Also the crap that I have herd from landowners I wonder why the whole zone is not closed from stupidity. I had fun from what I did do for hunting this last week with out shooting a bullet. I am not mad about that. Just lack of coop from land owners saving it for their friends that don't exist. Also the crap about what was open and was miss led to all.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM

I spoke with a retired conservation officer and was told that 35 elk were taken last year out of 212 on this specific hunt. Pretty low number.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Well after a hard last week I finally got my elk. I chaced those darn things for a bout 4 miles to geta shot at them. I had to make a long shot with the muzzle loader to take one down. I sure hope the elk settle down over the holidays so the january hunters can get close for a shot. As it is not as easy as it was at the beginning of last week. Good luck to all that have tags next month you are going to need it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
tackdriver Well after a hard last week I finally got my elk. I chaced those darn things for a bout 4 miles to geta shot at them. I had to make a long shot with the muzzle loader to take one down. I sure hope the elk settle down over the holidays so the january hunters can get close for a shot. As it is not as easy as it was at the beginning of last week. Good luck to all that have tags next month you are going to need it.
Hey Tack...Just curious how many elk were killed yesterday by Indians using rifles??? I counted 3 myself.