Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Default 2010 Big Buck Mag. Question

I enjoy flipping through the magazine quickly before reading it, and trying to come up with some scores. The first things I try to do is find a buck's strongest attribute follwed by his weakest.

Usually I come fairly close.. But with this one, after pulling out the calculator, sitting down with the buddies, being very generous, I'm still coming up about 20'' short.

This is not a post out of jealously, but my curiosity, maybe someone has seen this buck in person and can attest to its 194 6/8 inches of bone, or can supply a score sheet?

Page 76 of the Spring 2010 Edition

Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM

I see what you mean, hard to tell on such a different non-typical , this is an awesome deer though!

Last edited by Stop Staring at my Rack; 04-14-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Buck is cool as he!!, my guess would be about 180 or 185, I can see how that deer could fool though.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Looks like he works for WildTV? That would be my guess.

Tough deer to score no doubt. Long main beams and those two droppers add 25" probably....but ya he's a tough one to judge by lookin at no doubt....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
sheephunter

Ya, his typical frame doesn't look like it would add up to a 165-170 inches and you'd need a good typical frame to top 190 with only 20-25 inches of non-typical points but it wouldn't be the first time I've been fooled. Cool how that G2 bends over on the left beam. He looks like he's only a 4x5 to me. Seems hard to get 165 inches out of that but you never know I guess. Main beams are impressive.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Looks like he works for WildTV? That would be my guess.
walking billboard
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot and stock View Post
Buck is cool as he!!, my guess would be about 180 or 185, I can see how that deer could fool though.
I agree. I don't know why gys would want to exagerate things so much. I can understand rounding up 1/2 a point but this seems a little much. Maybe it is the exact score though and it has all of us stumped. I would shoot that deer anyday nomatter the score still.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I would shoot that deer anyday nomatter the score still.
Yep....what a cool buck!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I would shoot that deer anyday nomatter the score still.
Me too... well lead would fly his way anyways. The droppers might get the old buck fever a twitching.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=steve;563191]I enjoy flipping through the magazine quickly before reading it, and trying to come up with some scores. The first things I try to do is find a buck's strongest attribute follwed by his weakest.

Usually I come fairly close.. But with this one, after pulling out the calculator, sitting down with the buddies, being very generous, I'm still coming up about 20'' short.

This is not a post out of jealously, but my curiosity, maybe someone has seen this buck in person and can attest to its 194 6/8 inches of bone, or can supply a score sheet?

Page 76 of the Spring 2010 Edition

My cousin & his Family were @ my house last night,he picked up my BB Mag,and said the exact same thing as you about the non-typ buck."No way it scores in the 190's".he said. I thought it did,mind you 145" deer look like 165" deer to me some times,opps
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Add me to the list of skeptics.
I too would love to see the score sheet on this deer. 160 or 190 it's still a heck of a deer.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 AM

I think he is pretty close on the score...

The buck has a very good inside spread,above average mass and main beams.Tine length is not horrible either so i would put it right at 160 typical.

I agree with rack on the 25 inch for both droppers..

But here's the kicker..no pun intended

Looks like a sticker on the browtine,sticker on the droptine,3 stickers on the one base and a what looks like a 2 inch one on the other.

3 are over 1 inch and then one is 2 inch.Lets say they are all 1 inch and the one is 2 inch since we are all guessing

160 typical
25 inch droppers
7 inch stickers

192 gross

Last edited by BrownBear416; 04-14-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I agree with BB. When I start adding it up it gets pretty close to 190. Definitely not what you expect to see in a 190 class buck but every inch counts (that's what she said).
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

this reminds me of the sheds that the guy got hammered for a few months back. i think the pictures are terrible giving it the appearance of being less than it is. the same magazine has a guy who does this relentlessly.....hold a rack as far out in front of him as he can to make it look bigger. that drives me nuts as it totally distracts from big deer that dont need any help to look big.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM

i'd love to see the score sheet on that one ! Takes lots get a deer to 160, then add 30 for the droppers ! tough call , my first thought was same as steve's ! for the hunters sake i hope it is accurate.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Typo,, he only has 5 possibly 6 points on his left side, not Typical. no way 194..

Sorry too much coffee

Last edited by noneck180; 04-14-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Typo,, he only has 4 points on his left side,, no way 194..
I count 7 on his left side. At least 5 of them are big enough to be scorable.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Default Interested in website he says we should see

In addition to the story and pics of this dandy buck, I was also interested in the next to last sentence of the article. Reader suggests we see website grimsmonstermix.com.
Anyone do that, and if so, any thoughts?

ticdoc
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

i got 192 on my calculator, im sure thats the score...pictures dont do justice some times
Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post

The buck has a very good inside spread,above average mass and main beams.Tine length is not horrible either so i would put it right at 160 typical.

I agree with rack on the 25 inch for both droppers..

But here's the kicker..no pun intended

Looks like a sticker on the browtine,sticker on the droptine,3 stickers on the one base and a what looks like a 2 inch one on the other.

3 are over 1 inch and then one is 2 inch.Lets say they are all 1 inch and the one is 2 inch since we are all guessing

160 typical
25 inch droppers
7 inch stickers

192 gross

ha, i read your score after i posted mine, i noted the same thing.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticdoc View Post
Reader suggests we see website grimsmonstermix.com.

ticdoc
Ain't nobody doing that here, at least not legally. That's Saskatchewan's gig, and it can stay there.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Ain't nobody doing that here, at least not legally. That's Saskatchewan's gig, and it can stay there.

So all these alberta boys that are shooting deer off of "monster mix", "stag snag" etc are technically baiting are they not? How come there are no repercussions for them?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzonebucks View Post
So all these alberta boys that are shooting deer off of "monster mix", "stag snag" etc are technically baiting are they not? How come there are no repercussions for them?
Now I recognize that fellow. He's the fellow that developed Grims Monster Mix. Seemed like a super nice fellow when I met him at the Edmonton show. What he explained to me is that they use the minerals early in the year to help with antler development and for trail cam pics but that they don't hunt over them...at least in Alberta. Anyhow, that's what he explained to me.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzonebucks View Post
Unfortunately, they would basically have to be caught in the act to prove anything. That is, F&W would have to catch them while hunting in their treestand or sitting over a pile of bait. Its not illegal to bait for the purpose of taking pictures, which I'm sure a few people claim they are doing.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:38 PM

I don't know what the big deal is ,I think the deer is what he says it is,aroud 194''AWESOME DEER. You can never tell until you put your hands on it or put the tape on it.It is allways hard to tell from a picture.I can usually guess between 3 to 4 inches of what the deer really is out in the field. Sometimes I can be fooled but for the most part I'am close. What I can't stand is thoughs guys that say the deer is 187 and 2/8,when they are looking at the deer from a mile away on a foggy day You just can't beat a tape. pluss Big Buck, you would think ,would do alot of research before printing the story.Maybe I'am wrong.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha 1 View Post
I don't know what the big deal is ,I think the deer is what he says it is,aroud 194''AWESOME DEER. You can never tell until you put your hands on it or put the tape on it.It is allways hard to tell from a picture.I can usually guess between 3 to 4 inches of what the deer really is out in the field. Sometimes I can be fooled but for the most part I'am close. What I can't stand is thoughs guys that say the deer is 187 and 2/8,when they are looking at the deer from a mile away on a foggy day You just can't beat a tape. pluss Big Buck, you would think ,would do alot of research before printing the story.Maybe I'am wrong.
There is no big deal, like I said I was curious if other members were thinking what I was, some are, some are not.

x2 AWSEOME DEER

But the inches dont add up in my eyes.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticdoc View Post
In addition to the story and pics of this dandy buck, I was also interested in the next to last sentence of the article. Reader suggests we see website grimsmonstermix.com.

ticdoc
I tried it in sask,it didn't even last a night a black bear found it and cleaned it all up.what a waste of money
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM

I checked out the website and it said the bear stuff was $60 for a little bucket. I don't know what is in it but I am sure $60 could go a long way to making your own recipe
Old 04-15-2010, 04:01 PM

back to the score. that deer is a hog for sure. but even know 90% of us tend to exagerate a bit. if that deers typ score as a 5 x 4 main frame is 160 plus, i'll kiss my own butt!!lol...its a 140 class typ frame. he has no tine legnth at all.. I am curious as to why Gary Donald wouldn't call him on it. again, great deer, but hes 20 inches off bar none.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:06 PM

A score sheet would be awesome!

Last edited by Rigby; 04-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.