Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Strange license dispersal

My buddy and I put in seperately for mule does in 160. Both at 0 priority. He gets drawn and is offered FOUR tags. I didn't even get drawn. What an interesting system.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Draws are by a priority system. If the number of special licenses exceed the draw priority 1,2,3 etc then the balance is taken from those having a 0 (zero) priority. These are taken by random selection generated by a computer. Not everyone is going to get drawn.
Same thing happened to me with the moose draw this year. My partner and I both had 0 priority for bull in the late season (northern wmu) He got drawn and I didn't. Thats ok as next year I will have a draw and he may not.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Sundance, I think his point was he didn't get drawn and his buddy who did got FOUR tags. If they have that many to give out, I think he's saying why not divid them between EVERYONE who applied... Give everyone at least one. It would be perfectly understandable if he didn't get drawn and got nothing, and his buddy got ONE tag.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 PM
sheephunter

The idea with multiple doe tags is not to get too many hunters in the field in one WMU so a quality hunting experience is ensured for everyone. Put four times as many guys in the field with one tag each and landowner conflict goes way up and hunters do not have the same quality experience they do as when less hunters are in the field. At least that's the way it was explained to me by the government boys and it seems to make sense.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Billyboy

Default Tags

could it be they dont want too many hunters in this area at a given season so they offer more tags .Makes for good logic you have to love the draw good luck
Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

The letter I got indicated that draws in some zones would be issued 2, 3, or 4 tags. No promise of how many in the zone I was drawn in. Looked like a form letter for all envelopes to me as everyone in the household got one.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM

I was going to agree that it's a stupid system, until I read Sheeps post, that makes sense. If everybody got 1 Tag, theoretically there would be 4 times as many hunters in the field. That opens the door for 4 times as many landowner conflicts, 4 times as many dipsticks hunting without permission, 4 times as many trucks doing laps on the gravel roads all day long, 4 times as much garbage thrown out the window etc. etc.

But... on the other hand, it would increase the revenue generated by the mulie doe hunt 4X too, which in a perfect world, could be spent on some more manpower for our severley underfunded and understaffed Fish and Wildlife division.

So.......I dunno
Old 07-28-2007, 04:37 PM
sheephunter

It definitely wouldn't increase licence sales 4x as there are not that many people that don't get drawn. In most zones, a good percentage on priority 0 get drawn so there wouldn't be a huge number that didn't get drawn. Fish and Wildlife has set a maximum number of hunters that they like to see in any one WMU and it makes sense to me. You need to remember that there are also antlered tags and moose and elk and whitetail hunters that would all be affected by the increased number of hunters. I don't always agree with them but this logic makes good sense. Sadly, the percentage of licence sales that does go to the government is not earmarked for F&W either. It goes right into general revenue.

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-28-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Sadly, the percentage of licence sales that does go to the government is not earmarked for F&W either. It goes right into general revenue.
Which is absolute shyte...
Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Which is absolute shyte...
So have you written you MLA and the Premier about it?
I know I have.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Its a tough call on their part too. It does seem strange to have four tags but the hunt quality for all needs to be considered.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
So have you written you MLA and the Premier about it?
I know I have.
Several times, and I get a much more satisfactory response from the MLA for the constituency where I grew up (rural) than I do with my current MLA (Calgary).

Have sent email to Premeire as well - All you can do is try...

Last edited by ULTRAlite; 07-29-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM

If theres not many not getting drawn why not give everyone a tag doe hunting usually quick for does and landowners i know like them thinned out moreso then the trophy hunters that cruise around constantly all season. I would bet lots people wont fill 4 tags anyway i know i wouldnt so then thier harvest goal is missed hence more tags next season.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
f everybody got 1 Tag, theoretically there would be 4 times as many hunters in the field. That opens the door for 4 times as many landowner conflicts, 4 times as many dipsticks hunting without permission, 4 times as many trucks doing laps on the gravel roads all day long, 4 times as much garbage thrown out the window etc. etc.
That about sums it up.Many landowners are very selective about who and how many people they grant access to.They would rather have fewer people on their land taking more deer per person.If there were four times as many hunters,many of the hunters would not be granted permission anyways.And if four times as many hunters were to call or stop in for permission,some landowners would soon grow tired of being bothered and post their land no hunting.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Wildlife management

It is always the balance of getting the target amount of animals harvested, keeping landowner support and quality of the hunting expereince. Most times it is the first two that are the most imortant. In the past F/W would have given out my tags to more hunters...like already stated the normal response is too many hunters and not enough permission. Land owners can only take so much and public lands can only take so much hunting. In areas that are mostly private landowners the best way to acheive the goals is to double up tags not hunters.

It a fine line to try and balance.

I agree that the F/W department doesn't get enough budget and that needs to change starting with more of the dollars from licences going to the department. It it a disgrace in my opinion.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Hold On!

I thought the draw went through the higher priorities and then started picking based on date and time of application? You know "apply early for success"?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:12 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I thought the draw went through the higher priorities and then started picking based on date and time of application? You know "apply early for success"?
Within each group with the same priority,the draws are made randomly,not by application date.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:19 PM

By date would be a cheap shot since places in AB. sometimes don't get the draw books in the mail till darn near 3 weeks from other places.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
sheephunter

Actually there was a glitch in the system a few years back that allowed some ingenious individuals to get their applications in early and they drew the choice goat and sheep tags. Supposedly a switch never got switched that made the draw random...instead it was first come first served. These guys figured it out and for a few years drew Alberta's most coveted tags with regularity. The draw was over long before 99.9% of Albertans ever got their applications in. That glitch has now been fixed and you have the same odds whether you apply the first or last day.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Convenient glitch if you ask me.
Hmmmmmmmmmm

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
sheephunter

I'm pretty sure there was no conspiracy within the government anyhow but how those guys figured it out is somewhat of a question for sure.

I'm still waiting for my draw application money back. I have a letter saying they would refund it but surprisingly it never showed up.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

I'm still waiting for my draw application money back. I have a letter saying they would refund it but surprisingly it never showed up.
Sheep that is a interesting concept. Getting money back from the Government? Dont hold your breathe!!!

Mudder