Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Another Newbie

Hey guys, i've got a question about bows for you. I've only shot a bow a few times and i really want to get into it however, i was in wholesale sports the other day and pricing them out. I told the lady that i was a beginner and the first thing she asked was which was my dominant eye. it turns out that my left eye is dominant and i'm right handed. i've shot a rifle my whole life with my right hand and now pulling a bow back feels totally awkward with my left. this is probably a dumb question but do i have to shoot with my left and just get used to it or can i just get a right handed bow?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM

I have a friend who shoots right handed and is left eye dominant....he doesnt shoot very comfortably when he uses his peep, and his form suffers, but he does shoot quite well.

My suggestion, go into the Calgary Archery Centre and talk with them....not sure which Wholesale you were in, but if it was Calgary, its well worth the trip to them and they'll talk to ya about what will work for YOU....
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 PM
sheephunter

I'm left eye dominant but shoot both rifle and bow right handed with my right eye. If you are used to shooting a rifle with your right eye you shouldn't have any issues with a bow. I''m just not coordinated enough to shoot either left handed.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Hmmmm. I was kinda backwards to you. I shoot rifle left, but as a kid I always shot bows/slingshots right handed. When I got my compound, I wanted to go left handed because I just can't see squat with my right eye. I uncomfortably bought the left handed bow, and it took a little bit to get my form, but I regret it none. Perhaps already shooting a rifle left handed, helped me out, but my muscles strengthened up, quite fast.
I would reccomend if you try to go left handed, buy a cheapo, or go second hand, and see if you can build up the muscles, or like sheephunter eluded to, co-ordination, to shoot efficiently.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM

Talking

Good test for eye dominance. I reconfirmed I'm right-eye dominant.
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/library...t-Eye-Test.pdf

When lining up sights and being very precise you should use your dominant eye or you won't be as accurate. (not to say you won't be accurate at all) If it were me I'd try a left-handed bow to see if I could possibly get used to it. If so, I'd start now and learn to shoot left. If there was no way in hell I could adapt, I'd just shoot right and practice my @ss off. (if it were me...)
Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM

I'm like Brady-I shoot a rifle left and a bow right. I tried shooting a bow left but I just couldn't get used to it or comfortable with it. As suggested go with a cheaper or second hand bow till you find out if you can shoot left.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:43 PM

thanks everyone, i think i'll look for a second hand bow and try it out.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 PM

No problem, and good luck. Lots of bows on ebay, left handed not as many, but they are there.