Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM

Default I ditched my Peep sight!!

Hey Boys,
Well, tonight was the first night I had a full night of shooting since ditching my peep-sight. After reading a ton about the No-Peep and the Anchor Sight, I decided to go ahead and try the No-Peep by Timberline.
It took a bit of finicky set-up time, but finally got it settled on a comfortable anchor point. I drew the bow about 30 times with my eyes closed and kept trying to find the perfect spot. Set up the No-Peep and locked it down. Shot a few sets of arrows and I'm easily as accurate, if not slightly more accurate than I was with my peep-sight.

Best part of it all, no damn peep to look through, no blurriness, great at low-light situations from what I can see from playing with it, and just as accurate. No complains at all, plus its one less thing to go wrong. I had a peep turn on me when I was 15 yards from a 165 mulie, and I've missed other chances due to my peep sight playin tricks on me.

Biggest thing I noticed was a consistent 'natural' anchor building. Its so easy to anchor to your peep sight and to have sloppy form, but the No-Peep makes you perfect your form. Awkward positions, hand torque, etc...it shows differences so nicely and you learn to just anchor properly. I think after a few months I wont even notice its there and I'll just be shooting peep-free.

Anyways....well worth the test if you ever get bored and want to play a bit to see if it makes a difference or not. I've now shot for almost 14 years, almost the whole time with a peep sight. I'm pretty convinced already that this is the ticket....

http://www.timberline-archery.com/np.asp

Couple pics of it on my XT....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 PM

Great review Rack. It is nice to get information from the guys that have actually tried it. Not from company paid spokesmen. I am going to have to look into how they work exactly. Kind of different.

Morb
Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Yep...definatly not one of those 'gimmicks'....they simply work....
Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM

what are those worth?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 PM

Price is listed on the site....around $40
Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Can you post a pic of the other (attachment) side of the riser, showing how it bolts to the bow ? Sounds very interesting.....

tnxP
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 PM

Default No Peep

Hey Rack.............I don't use the No Peep and I don't use any peep lol. Never have in 20 yrs of shooting. I understand how the No Peep works and hope it is your ticket....but I will continue shooting sans peep. You explained pretty much why I don't use a peep.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Can you post a pic of the other (attachment) side of the riser, showing how it bolts to the bow ? Sounds very interesting.....
Check the website out. Complete installation instructions and user manual there in a PDF.

Pretty cool looking Trev. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 AM

That looks pretty darn good.

With my old bow I used a peep but I also touched my string to my nose as a second reference for consistent anchor but on my new bow that doesn't work due to the sharper string angle from the smaller axel-axel length. I never have loved the peep too much but I don't exactly have the natural instincts of Ishi when it comes shooting a bow. I think I might give that a try.

Rack, do you know if any of the shops in Calgary are carrying it or did you order it direct from Timberline?

Chet
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 AM

I ordered mine directly from Timberline....saw them in Wholesale Sports though in Calgary.

Ehntr,
The idea of going to the No-Peep is to be able to ditch it one day as well. Its not an easy transition but I sure enjoy shooting sans peep already, and we'll see if one day I can shoot sans No-Peep but for now it works. Definatly nice to be 'free' of the peep.

Depopulator,
I can take a pic of the other side of the riser...it just slides behind your sight and screws in using the same screws......sounds like theres pics as sheephunter pointed out, but I can take one if ya'd like....
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

CAC has them usually...i see them on the wall where all the other peep stuff is. Pretty sure Jim has them also....just give them a shout first.

I shot my first season with one of the early generation no-peeps. Tried a peep for the next season, then back to no-peep and then back to peep. I hate peeps so much that i don't even want to talk about them...but i lost confidence with the no-peep somewhere along the way...not sure why either? I wish i didn't because i really do hate the peep....especially after going first season without! I hope that confidence isn't lost for anyone else who tries it. I shoot better on the range with no-peep but i've had some misses afield that made me question it somehow...just giving my experience. I have a later generation model at home still and may try it again and maybe combine it with a kisser as that might be the hot ticket? Dunno...till have have the time again i'm stickin with my peep.

Chet...i hear you on the steep angle...i like my nose on the string...don't feel as planted but still shooting fine...just feels a bit off. Next bow might go a little longer ata myself....get back up into the 36" range should be a little better maybe.

I think a guy could use the pins aside the string and a kisser just as good and i may just go that way down the road...i dunno yet....i really do want to go peepless someday but not at sacrifice of ultimate bombproofness in the field. Dunno what happened but had some weird shot angles...swore i could see that no-peep all lined up...and complete miss....totally baffled me. Not all the time...but it happened a couple times and i just simply lost confidence in it. I haven't with a peep yet. Please don't take the wrong way....just giving my experience with them...first started using them 4 or 5 yrs ago when i got into bowhunting. I'm still looking for a better set up and maybe the no-peep with kisser will give me the confidence that 'I' need? At any rate...i'm keeping mine if thats any consolation...i'm not done with it yet! And i haven't figured out what happened in the field...all i know is...i didn't like it and since going to peep...haven't had that 'mystery' shot thing happen since! Thankfully those shots were just at does...should have been slam dunks...and so i digress.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-25-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM

Sure hope it works for you Trev, if not I don't want to hear a "peep" out of you about it. LOL

Last edited by Duk Dog; 07-25-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up Just as I suspected.

I never like peeps, but had one installed on my new bow (yet to arrive) because everyone I know uses them.

I like this idea of the no-peep, until you develop the memory muscle connection of a consistent anchor point, then ditch the np all together.

It's a pretty simple concept. Couldn't you save $40 and make your own rear reference point? All you need is something small and visible enough to line up with your sight. No?

Good info. Thx
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

I've looked at a lot of other 'no-peep' type ideas...rear sights etc. but i believe the no-peep is the best of all options....you can shoot some smokin groups...but put a ton of cold weather gear on, end of november, cold/stiff and twisting or having a steep down angle shot, can't get face to the string but your eye yes and the no-peep says 'green light' and you miss completely on a doe at 25 yrds...hmmmm. I dunno man...haven't had anything like that happen with a peep....yet....but have had a couple of those when running the no-peep. And since i'm not totally sure what went wrong...my best guess was the no-peep...i think there is a way to look at it and it won't work the way its supposed to...but for most shots i ever took with the thing it was perfect....i absolutely loved it!

I honestly think that the no-peep and a kisser that would force that face position to the string a little more consistantly might be the hot ticket...but i wouldn't have the confidence for all hunting situations myself to just have the no-peep only. You can use the string pretty effectively too...just line up the pins along the string but you need something to make sure you get your height on the string right....nose knot or kisser etc....the no-peep essentially does the that but also gives you indication of bow hand torque.

I dunno exactly what happened for me to lose confidence in the no-peep for 'hunting' as i was really really sold on it and nobody hates a peep more than me....nobody. Every single shot i take i despise the fookin thing! If all i ever shot was target stuff etc. or had a bow set up for just that...i would use a no-peep forsure!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Just read there site and it pretty much summed it up there gadget like most of the gadgets (sights, releases and such) are designed to short cut plain old practice, like all of the gadgets out there if it works cool, if it does not at least it did not cost lots. I do like how it works on form rather than being a mechanical aid and it has the potential to simplify the system.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred@t0r View Post
Couldn't you save $40 and make your own rear reference point? All you need is something small and visible enough to line up with your sight. No?
Yeah, use a kisser or nose knot to keep your height consistant and then just put the pins right up against the string to have a consistant 'left to right'. What the 'no-peep' does additional to that is.....it shows bow hand torque....don't think there is anything else for 40 bucks that can do all three.

Its pretty neat to see them in action...if you know you have a problem with torquing your bow then this device will show you. Some people will leave their regular peep on and install the no-peep and shoot that way for awhile and when comfortable they'll then remove the regular peep.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Yeah, use a kisser or nose knot to keep your height consistant and then just put the pins right up against the string to have a consistant 'left to right'. What the 'no-peep' does additional to that is.....it shows bow hand torque....don't think there is anything else for 40 bucks that can do all three.

Its pretty neat to see them in action...if you know you have a problem with torquing your bow then this device will show you. Some people will leave their regular peep on and install the no-peep and shoot that way for awhile and when comfortable they'll then remove the regular peep.
Yep...hand torque is what I found I noticed the most....
Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Just read there site and it pretty much summed it up there gadget like most of the gadgets (sights, releases and such) are designed to short cut plain old practice, like all of the gadgets out there if it works cool, if it does not at least it did not cost lots. I do like how it works on form rather than being a mechanical aid and it has the potential to simplify the system.
Yea thats kinda why I like it so much. Form is the most important thing, and I find that some people use their peep sight as a crutch and dont worry about form as long as their peep is lined up they figure they are good to go. The No-Peep forces to you to work on form and to practice more. In fact, I dont think they are made to short-cut practice at all. I think its a tool to make you a better shooter, and therefore I figured I'd try it. Definatly no short-cut for me as I shoot a ton in the summer months and this change will make me shoot much much more to become as confident as I was. Already I can feel more confidence and freedom of that peep sight...
Old 07-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Why'd you start this thread Trev?......dang it....i'm about a minute away from jerkin my peep and puttin the no-peep back on thanks to you. I enjoyed shooting the no-peep so much more! Jerk.

Guys if your half interested in this thing then just get one...i'd bet quite a few will ditch their peep completely....they are pretty awesome.

They are a pain in the azz to set up though...i usually take about 3 days to get mine set up...i like to draw over a couple days with eyes closed for first draw back to make sure its 'right there'. It's worth the struggle though.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:38 PM

LOL.....sorry Stinky....next time I'll keep quiet....haha. I was actually considering leaving it until after the season but simply got shooting it and now I think I'm cool for this season if I keep on it all August....
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

On the range i shot a bit tighter with the no-peep also...so thats not your imagination playing games on you. I'm going to try to resist the temptation to mess with my gear at this point....but for next season i'll start early and try it one more time...maybe with a kisser?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:22 PM

I considered a kisser at first.....but then I realized that my anchor points remained close. I can use the tip of my nose and have my finger under my ear lobe, so I think I'm solid as is. A kisser owuldnt be a bad addition though....
Old 07-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Billyboy

Default Great Info

Great info thanks for shareing rackmaster.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Hey rack, thanks, I checked out the website and it had the info I was looking for.....
Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 AM

Damn and I was going to buy a trigger pull guage with this pays fun money.

With the focus on form do you think it would be a good addition for a young/new shooter or would it be too much for kid to keep track of?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM

I think it would be a good idea for a young/new shooter. Really you arent paying a ton of attention to it. You check it every once in a while and learn to trust it after a bit. I wouldnt give it to a brand new beginner, but someone who wanted to become more consistent as a new shooter I think would be a good deal.

I was shootin at 40 with it last night past legal light.....groups were pretty impressive....
Old 07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I considered a kisser at first.....but then I realized that my anchor points remained close. I can use the tip of my nose and have my finger under my ear lobe, so I think I'm solid as is. A kisser owuldnt be a bad addition though....
Thats how i did it...i would at minimum tie a nose knot now however. I've never used a kisser or a nose knot but i would probably try both to see what i liked better if only going no-peep in the future.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

It will work great for new or older shooters.....all shooters. The thing becomes instinctual...you don't actually look at it...you look at your pins and the target...this thing is just picked up in your periferal vision and eventually it becomes totally subconscious...you don't let the arrow go until its lined up. Its a fast way to aim and shoot.