Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Default anybody scoutin deer yet

Anybody glassin fields yet? Seen anything decent?

I've been trying to find a Mulie buck that I figure was just over 180 typical last year. Hoping he survived winter so I can stick an arrow in him...

No luck yet.. Lots of small guys around though.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 PM

Every day to and from work....have seen a few good 150-160 mulies lately but nothing major yet.....took a scouting drive a couple weeks ago for antelope and mulies....it was a decent trip but too damn hot!!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM

Ya, I've been out every weekend for the last couple months. Found a 400 meter grass glade that looks very promising for a tree stand .On the north side of the glade I found a Whitetail shed of decent size. Not a record book animal but worth the effort, But most enjoyable was the hike up Mist Mountain in The Elbow-Sheep Park. Saw trees that were mauled by large bears. They measured approx. 8 1/2 feet off the ground. Also, saw Elk and deer skeletons. Made it to 8,300 feet and I was at eye level with the sheep. Saw 4 in total. We are sooooo luck to live in this great province.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2007, 12:20 AM

Here are some cool scouting pics I thought I'd share from the 2006 season.....

If those dont make ya want to get out there and find some deer, not much will.....great memories. IN fact....if you ask Duk Dog which one we were inside of 18 yards on the FIRST day of our season, he just might tell ya.....heh. His deer he ended up getting was easily as nice if not nicer, but it was an impressive deer none the less.....and I'm thinking he missed the shot on the first deer just so it wouldnt end too quick!!!

Season is getting close!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Scouting.

I have been out quite a bit and am seeing some good bucks but no hogs.Was out in WMU 511 tonight and saw three big whitetails and around 30 elk,10 bulls in total.Heading back north next week for a final scout and to check the trailcam.

Great pics RackM, the first one and the Heavy Non Typ are really nice.

This is a buck that i am going to try and get with the bow,pic was taken 3 weeks ago.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:04 PM

No scouting yet. I live 6 hours from my mulie hunting area. a good buddy has been watching and has one he figures will end up close to 200 when all is said and done. I love those pics rack!! Makes me kinda homesick. I will have to wait till the middle of september to head down there. A week chasing elk and mulies in september and two weeks at the start of october. I can't wait!! I already have my spots picked out down there so scouting now would just prolong the agony till opening day.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Pics

Those are some excellent pics guys!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM

108 Rack? looks like MR Ridge....
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Banned

Yah got my Mulie draw for 152 and have been sneaking away from the Rig in the evenings and doing some scouting... Looking good so far.. Seen 2 not bad bucks last week.. One a definite taker and the other would be a last day er.. But looks good so far...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
108 Rack? looks like MR Ridge....
Nope, not 108. I drive in 108 every day but none of those deer are 108 ones unfortunatly....
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM

hey rack.

i will take a guess at the zone. 119 possibly. looks like the north side of the park to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Nope, nothing from 119 either....

There are 4 different zones that all the deer are scattered from.....heh....and thats all I'm gonna say....
Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Every time I go camping, I'm looking. Seeing some elk in 402 waaaaaaaaaay up on the green. Thats typical for this time of year. I think a spotting scope will soon be part of my arsenal.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM

I like the looks of the one on the left in the 2nd to last pic... He's going places for sure.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 PM

i have been scouting almost every night for the last couple weeks now up here in the peace, just starting to see some quality mule deer. not a whole lot of fawns running around. In comparison to last year, i would have to say that everything is behind a bit. I could swear that this time last year overall antler growth seemed to be quite a bit more. Must have something to do with the hard winter we had up here. But....last night and tonight, seen three that will all go over 170....and them some....considering that they all have at least 4-6 inches of tine growth to go yet. Can't wait till Aug 18!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I have been out checking a spot i know, when ever i can get rid of the call out phone for the battery i operate. Found afew decent mules, and a real nice w/t, but no smasher mulies yet. Gonna be concentrating on a bow hunt for w/t around home here, {baby coming} and already feeling the leash getting shorter. No Athabasca smashers for me this fall, but you fellas are gonna see pics of one of the narliest mule deer youve ever seen here in afew months time, i hope.....Get after em fellas!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
when ever i can get rid of the call out phone for the battery i operate
Packhunter i am in the same boat as you and was wondering,do you get payed to be on call or just when you get called out??
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Gone Hunting

BrownBear, we only get paid for callouts. I operate a facility and oil and gas field for Enerplus near Brooks. Im employee, so shes a minimum 3 hour for a callout here. But as you know man, the phone sucks azz. Im out right now trying to get my compressors running, its midnight, and i think im just gonna get going finally. She was 44 degrees C here today. Unreal, and im wishin i was fishin, or mabey at home in bed!!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Packhunter,it feels better knowing i am not the only one being screwed.

I operate an oil Battery West of Slave Lake.I don't get payed for being on call either and get payed only for hours worked during callout as i am a Contractor.