Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Elk Hunt for my wife

Hey Guys,
Well I just found some really good news that I'm not going for training in Oct/Nov so now my hunting season is wide open again. I had a pile of priority as well as my wife, but we just 999'd this year being as I was unsure of what was going on.
I've got a big bowhunt planned in Sept and a big whitetail hunt planned in Nov....but other than that I'm wide open. My wife really wants to kill an elk....she's killed a few deer and I'd love to get her an elk or a black bear...either of which she would be ecstatic. She's got a P4 right now but we'll be hunting general this year. I was thinking of travelling somewhere up north and trying to increase my odds a bit.
Any tips or areas that a guy could try and head? Peace Country? Mountains? She obviously doesnt care about size, etc and I've got a few spots down south that are decent, but we figured a trip would be more fun....
Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Combo hunts in areas that produce, hmmm... Still looking for a spot like this myself !! Mabey try in that Hinton country? I think theres afew cats on here from that turf. Nice country, and lots of game, but their bears kicked my azz this spring. If you go, give em hell for me.....

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 AM

LOL ya....problem with askin opinions about spots to go.....I know all too well how hard they are to find....like I said, we could stick south but I'd rather go on a trip. Hinton is nice country for sure....I'm definatly thinkin Peace would be nice but not sure I want to go all the way up there.....
Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 AM
stubblejumper

We drive nine hours every year to the peace country on our week long elk,moose and deer hunt.Considering the amount of game that we see,and the fact that we have no problems bringing home elk,moose and deer every year,we consider the drive well worth the time and expense.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Thats kinda what i was thinkin....worth the drive if I could get into some elk with my wife.....
Old 07-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Rack,
Congrats on getting a seat. Quebec sucks in the winter, but you're only there for 9 weeks (not the 15 I went through). If you have a travel trailer to park, you can always park it on my land and hunt wmu 346 for elk.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Heybert,
Thanks man.....I actually am going to a 7 weeker now.....even better....heh.
Thanks for the offer on the land as well....might have to look into that a bit or we may have to hook up for a hunt sometime....
Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM

Post Newbie for Elk...

I can't speak much on Elk hunting because I just started getting into it. I'm taking my pops out this September for a Bow hunt down around Crowsnest. I hope it goes well.

What I can tell you is that my uncles have been in it for 18+ yrs and they get 'em every year. He lives in Grand Cache and hunts pretty much in his back yard. Great area for Elk, and even moose, but watch out for winter.

They usually go in mid September 'cause any other time in the mountains and foothills means big time snow. I experienced that a couple years ago up there hunting for moose. It snowed two feet over night and I could barely get around in my Jeep let alone walk or quad. She was tough going.

I hear ya on finding good hunting spots. It's kinda like asking someone to give up a secret, but if anyone could point me to some good spots for Elk down around Calgary, I'd be grateful. (since I'm new to the area and species)

Good luck to you and your missus.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 PM
smokinjoe

I worked around Edson last summer, and was constantly seeing elk sign.
Lots of bears there too. The service hands who came to the rig always told me it was a great place for both.

I met up with some hard-core elk hunters, and they only go to Grande Cash.
Both quantity and quality elk there. Can't confirm the bear population though.
But they know the area well. I don't know how well you would do just walking in , but who knows?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 PM

TTT...think I have it narrowed down but always up for some good comments...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:26 PM

DO you have a definate date that you are planning on going, Rack.

You are more then welcome to come to this area, and I will help you out as much as I can. If you take up Heybert on his offer, to stay at Peers, I have a name that I will give you for bowhunting in 338. Does yer wife bow hunt? If you are up here around the opener, Sept. 17, you are more then welcome to share camp with us, and I have loads of places that I can lead you to.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Brady,
Right now we're looking at Sept 25-30th......lots of options but we dont know where yet. She only rifle hunts right now, and I'm just lookin for the best opportunity on either an elk or a bear, and an enjoyable hunt for her......

So damn tough to decide the perfect spot...lol. I appreciate the offer man...maybe we should chat some more about the area up there....
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 PM

25th to 30th....Hmmmm, the elk have still been goin at er that late around here, but you would be well into the later stages of the initial rut, so hunting would a bit tougher. Ya, if you need to ask about around here, feel free to ask, I will help if I can.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:19 PM

That was kinda the problem that I thought I might be running into.....though I'm not sure I can push it and get out the week before.....that might be the best option, just to hit the rut a bit better. I've always found the 17th to be a good day to aim for, in terms of rut activity.

Maybe gotta talk to her boss and see if she can get out the week before, but we'll see.....kinda might depend if I draw antelope archery this year and wheter I kill one by then or not....
Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Well you will have to keep me up to date, on that, and I will see if I can help ya'll out.