Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx06 View Post

Its a levy only because as per Alberta Tax Payers Protection act section a-36 a "sales" tax may not be introduced without a referendum. Since this carbon levy is directly or indirectly on all products it is a sales tax. If you do the math it is indeed 75% since 2016.

Keep trolling
I did do the math and it isn't.

The price of the levy is fixed per gj because it's seeking to assign a cost to the carbon resulting from burning that fuel. The amount of carbon released by burning that fuel is reasonably consistent but the price of the fuel is not unless you are in a fixed price contract.

Refer to this list of historical prices.

http://www2.directenergy.com/direct-...gas-rates.aspx

If you want to make a more compelling bogus argument why not just cherry pick the price from June 2017? It's a 122% tax now! See the problem?

I don't think this is a good program, I would like to see it go away. If that's going to happen people need to recognize that that advancing contrived bogus arguments is damaging your credibility in the eyes of the people you need to win over. What happens when somebody reads all about how their gas bill is going to go from 200 to 350 in January but it doesn't? Are they ever going to listen to you again?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 AM

I saw it too....here is the pic. From "Alberta Cant Wait' Facebook group

Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

It's a 50% increase on natural gas according to discussions in the Legislature on November 6. I found the original video of the question period and posted it on Facebook but can't find it now. If you have facebook you can watch the viodeo......not sure if you can if you don't have it.

https://www.facebook.com/jason.j.nix...jY&pnref=story
Old 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
I saw it too....here is the pic. From "Alberta Cant Wait' Facebook group
Wait so I'm not paying $1.011/gj now?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It's a 50% increase on natural gas according to discussions in the Legislature on November 6. I found the original video of the question period and posted it on Facebook but can't find it now. If you have facebook you can watch the viodeo......not sure if you can if you don't have it.

https://www.facebook.com/jason.j.nix...jY&pnref=story
Here I was hoping it was just the usual suspects but seeing an MLA doing it is seriously disappointing. If the UCP want's to attract more centrist voters they better put a lid on this crap ASAP.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
They did slap a 10% carbon tax on our propane in October, thanks a lot. What’s that for again?
In essence the idea is that gov't makes heating your home prohibitively expensive so you turn down the heat and put on a sweater. And voila the environment is saved. And whilst it is suppose to be revenue neutral I'm sure some of that tax errrr I mean "levy" (cause that is so different LOL) finds its way into general revenue to be spent on wages and pensions. The gov't is going to save the world one tax at a time.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Here I was hoping it was just the usual suspects but seeing an MLA doing it is seriously disappointing. If the UCP want's to attract more centrist voters they better put a lid on this crap ASAP.
Doing what, holding the governing party accountable? What part of the video do you have an issue with?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Doing what, holding the governing party accountable? What part of the video do you have an issue with?
The part where it's not a 75% tax. This is intentionally misleading, at any given point of time it may amount to 75% of the cost per gj or it might be 10% or even 200%. When the cost of the commodity moves the levy will not change.

Stick to the facts.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Sooooo.... where do you think the CO2 and carbon monoxide come from when you burn it?

Just to keep things real.

Good point lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Banned

That Alberta Can't Wait facebook ad is an outright lie.

What is should say is that on January 1 your natural gas bill is going to increase about 4%

(and if you are 2/3rds of families covered by rebates you will get a rebate check to cover the increase).

Happy to have discussions about what is best way to reduce pollution but politicans who downright make stuff up shouldn't be encouraged.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:00 PM

I don't think the Alberta Can't Wait group is affiliated with any provincial party (correct me if I'm wrong). I had always thought that it's an astroturf non-profit organisation.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 PM

I cant stand this anymore................reliance on FB for news

https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I cant stand this anymore................reliance on FB for news

https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx
Yup, some people think FB stands for Factbook
Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 PM

you can call it what ever you want but i still have no interest in giving those commie pigs my money so they redistribute it to somebody else , and ill buy my own light bulbs ,thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Yup, some people think FB stands for Factbook
And others in open forums have 10 different opinions, all of which are wrong according to those 10

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 AM

You guys crack me up. Supplying natural gas to homes is a Gov controlled monopoly that they tax at marginal corp rates. On top of what were already ridiculous admin and delivery fees that have been allowed by the Gov regulator to be added to our bills the Gov has slapped its own 1.52 per GJ onto the bill. Most guys are using $8 to $20 a month of gas to heat their homes but paying total bills of $95 to $250 for that minuscule supply of gas. Alta Gas made $242 million last year, after tax of 33 million, on gross sales of $2.2 billion. They and Atco are the two Nat gas suppliers in Alberta.

The whole setup is a Gov regulated fleece job of the consumer, the Carbon Levy is just one more arrow in the body.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-18-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I provided you with the facts, why did you ignore it?

It's not a 75% increase, the levy goes from $1.011/gj to $1.517/gj. Pretty much bang on 50%.

Also it applies to natural gas usage not your total bill!

My total gas usage was 3.95gj in October. I paid $4.00 for the carbon levy, with the new rate that's going to be $6.00. Can't say I'm excited about it or anything but I don't think I'll have to sell one of the children.
As much as I hate paying more, it really is chump change. Most of the guys with there panties on fire barely let out more than a grumble when the price of gas went through the roof a few weeks back, and that cost everyone that drives many times what this does.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Can't say I'm excited about it or anything but I don't think I'll have to sell one of the children.
Hold on here???? We can sell our children???? I have two... both are great little fishermen...... practice catch and release....what's the going rate????
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
And others in open forums have 10 different opinions, all of which are wrong according to those 10
So you really can’t tell the difference? Nobody likes to admit they fell for a line of crap but it happens to all of us from time to time. Sack up and admit you made a mistake.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
So you really can’t tell the difference? Nobody likes to admit they fell for a line of crap but it happens to all of us from time to time. Sack up and admit you made a mistake.
Actually you know what, I’d like to try another approach here.

How about this Ken, at the End of January you agree to share your nat gas bill with me. If there is any change or surcharge in addition to the announced increase in the carbon levy to $1.517/gj then I will pay your bill up to a limit of $500. If your bill goes from $200 to $350 then you are covered.

If I’m right then you donate $100 to Ducks Unlimited or the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, your choice.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Gone Hunting

now there's a man of conviction. Puts his money where his mouth is and regardless of the outcome, someone wins. I like it!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You show me where I said anywhere in this thread that I took it for gospel.
I was asking and using copy/paste.

Quote:
Actually you know what, I’d like to try another approach here.

How about this Ken, at the End of January you agree to share your nat gas bill with me. If there is any change or surcharge in addition to the announced increase in the carbon levy to $1.517/gj then I will pay your bill up to a limit of $500. If your bill goes from $200 to $350 then you are covered.

If I’m right then you donate $100 to Ducks Unlimited or the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, your choice.
To do what? Prove me wrong? You have been in the thread several times jumping on the same little thought, yet have not grasped that I never said or started this theory, I just asked.

Take your $500 and give to the Charity of your choice, 'tis the season'.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

I don't have Facebook but you'd be just as well off getting your news from the national enquirer. I'm off to go hunt the chupacabra I heard was spotted down by Brooks.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:

It's not a 75% increase, the levy goes from $1.011/gj to $1.517/gj. Pretty much bang on 50%.

Also it applies to natural gas usage not your total bill!

My total gas usage was 3.95gj in October. I paid $4.00 for the carbon levy, with the new rate that's going to be $6.00. Can't say I'm excited about it or anything but I don't think I'll have to sell one of the children.

Might not have to but I still advise people to sell at least one of their children. Maybe not the favorite one but one of them.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I don't have Facebook but you'd be just as well off getting your news from the national enquirer. I'm off to go hunt the chupacabra I heard was spotted down by Brooks.
Facebook said it was real so you will probably have better luck hunting that then I have had hunting elk this season lol
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
now there's a man of conviction. Puts his money where his mouth is and regardless of the outcome, someone wins. I like it!
Can’t imagine that it would be turned down unless....
Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Can’t imagine that it would be turned down unless....
unless one of the parties would never take advantage of midgetwaiter or anyone else.
I pay my own bills.
If I wanted to wager on a contest, it would be in archery or shooting sports or biggest fish or arm wrestling or throwing a football or something more manly than attempting to knock down another member because of reading comprehension or proven opinion.
If it's going to be a game, lets make it a game!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
unless one of the parties would never take advantage of midgetwaiter or anyone else.
I pay my own bills.
If I wanted to wager on a contest, it would be in archery or shooting sports or biggest fish or arm wrestling or throwing a football or something more manly than attempting to knock down another member because of reading comprehension or proven opinion.
If it's going to be a game, lets make it a game!
But....maybe, he really is a midget??
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
But....maybe, he really is a midget??
Oh that would be awesome, there is an entire sport built around them! Midget tossing!!!
Of course that term midget tossing may have a complete different meaning to midgets alone in the basement.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM

Default levy

at what point does this carbon levy cripple every home in alberta ... oh ya ..as soon as the NDP started it . 97,000 albertians now on EI including me . just how much longer do we have to put up with this crippling , carbon tax , as most of us call it .