Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Talking Edmonton Vehicles

How many ways can you say RUST ?

Just heard on the news they are spraying liquid calcium chloride on the streets.
Great stuff..... works at lower temps.......and is highly corrosive.
Also at the right temp it turns greasy.

Should be fun & dealers get to sell more vehicles
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 AM

It's not as corrosive as salt

Corrosion-Inhibited Calcium Chloride: Liquid Calcium Chloride is hard on ice, but easy on corrosion. ... In addition to providing low corrosion versus salt, it has calcium chloride's operational benefits in that it continues to melt snow and ice below 20 deg F, the temperature at which salt becomes an inefficient deicer.

Last edited by gmcmax05; 11-16-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Rust check in the doors, kicker pannels, then do the under classy, and other components in a 50/50 split of gear oil and Diesel fuel.

Spray painting gun works the best, weed sprayer tip to get into the hard to get at spots.

Place vehicle on big chunk of plastic, place rags around the edges of plastic.
Dawn on old rain suit and googles.
Oven kitchen mitts.

Fire up compressor and get at it.

Caution,,, do not,,, I repeat,,, do not spray the brake disks.

This 50/50 has been around for years in the farming and industrial world.

Oh, do not use the 50/50 with doors or cab.

Don
Old 11-16-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
How many ways can you say RUST ?

Just heard on the news they are spraying liquid calcium chloride on the streets.
Great stuff..... works at lower temps.......and is highly corrosive.
Also at the right temp it turns greasy.

Should be fun & dealers get to sell more vehicles
So today I'm driving around in slop and it's minus 10. As a body man, I have hated the cities "snow removal" plan. More like snow melt and let the other vehicles push the stuff to the curb plan. The previous years salt salt salt and sand program made me shudder at the mix getting in every nook and cranny a vehicle has for 6 months. Can't car wash all that stuff out.

This new calcium chloride stuff sure makes it wet. Brutal snow management in a winter city. Won't spray for dandelions but pour this stuff onto the streets for 6 months, no problem.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 PM

I find the wetting of what should be normally ice etc spatters all over the place like a day when it is near zero even if it is minus 10.

I dont really see any benefit and I have seen what calcium chloride does to iron, even if it is inhibited the whole batch probably isnt... nothing is pure and it is still salt which is alot worse than no salt
Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Plus it really runs down the sewer gutters then into the streams, bright idea!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Plus it really runs down the sewer gutters then into the streams, bright idea!

It will keep the north sask river open for boating year round.
And any fish you catch will already be brined.
Let's take this as a win.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned

This bugs me big time.
We all know not to consider buying Eastern cars when buying used.
It's reasonable in Toronto because with the Great Lakes they get snow and ice on their streets like there's no tomorrow. Montreal needs it because of the number of steep hills.
But Edmonton?
The city claims they are doing it primarily to save the costs of cleaning the streets in the spring of all the sand they lay and disposing of it.
So basically (IMO) they are saying 'hey, we're going to save a million dollars at the expense of our citizens having to deal with rust issues'.
We voted this dufus in again...why??
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

I love it! No more100 k brake slam and slides on the Henday. Can stop just like summer city doesn't have to spend millions in the spring removing sand and salt.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 PM

Default kills grass

The grass at the edge of the driveway all died as a result of this. When I shovel the driveway now I make sure the "brown stuff" get pushed to the road and not on the grass. Very common to see a lot of the front yards in my neighbourhood that have the same dead or hurting strip of grass.
But.......make darn sure you don't wash your vehicle in the driveway where the water can get in the catch basin because if you used any soap it will pollute the river. The good ole " do as I say not as I do!"

Geo
Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Rust check in the doors, kicker pannels, then do the under classy, and other components in a 50/50 split of gear oil and Diesel fuel.

Spray painting gun works the best, weed sprayer tip to get into the hard to get at spots.

Place vehicle on big chunk of plastic, place rags around the edges of plastic.
Dawn on old rain suit and googles.
Oven kitchen mitts.

Fire up compressor and get at it.

Caution,,, do not,,, I repeat,,, do not spray the brake disks.

This 50/50 has been around for years in the farming and industrial world.

Oh, do not use the 50/50 with doors or cab.

Don
This^. They do sell special coatings to do it like Fluid Film or others but gear oil and diesel works the best. It's even better if you can drive down a dusty road right after spraying to get a good coat of light dirt on it. Do it in fall and next spring you can rub your finger on whatever you sprayed and it will be like new where it wipes off.
Cheap, easy and works great.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
I love it! No more100 k brake slam and slides on the Henday. Can stop just like summer city doesn't have to spend millions in the spring removing sand and salt.
Or you learn to drive in winter conditions properly.
Started drving in 1973...average 16000km year.
Have never had an accident in winter (or any other time)...because I learned how to properly drive for winter conditions.
But of course the city has to intervene because of all the idiots who don't adjust their driving at all come the snow.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
This bugs me big time.
It's reasonable in Toronto because with the Great Lakes they get snow and ice on their streets like there's no tomorrow. Montreal needs it because of the number of steep hills.
But Edmonton?
The city claims they are doing it primarily to save the costs of cleaning the streets in the spring of all the sand they lay and disposing of it.
So basically (IMO) they are saying 'hey, we're going to save a million dollars at the expense of our citizens having to deal with rust issues'.
Bugs me too. Now instead of the accident being on the Henday it's on QE2 just north of nisku. Same people / same accident, just in a different spot because Henday is de-iced and QE2 is not. Learn to drive.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:20 PM

If a guy could make a car wash that had a ramp system like this when you can go spray off your undercarriage, that'd be sure helpful:

Just unfortunately it would cost way too much because they'd likely have to have an employee driving your vehicle on and off. Too many idiots out there who would make it a complete liability otherwise.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
This bugs me big time.
But Edmonton?
Nicely put
X2
Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
If a guy could make a car wash that had a ramp system like this when you can go spray off your undercarriage, that'd be sure helpful:

Just unfortunately it would cost way too much because they'd likely have to have an employee driving your vehicle on and off. Too many idiots out there who would make it a complete liability otherwise.
Look for car washes that cater to the oil and gas industry.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Poor boys in Leduc has one now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Gawd knows my undercarriage could use a good pressure washing.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
This bugs me big time.
But Edmonton?

NO one wanted a vehicle from east bc they use Rock salt, AB been using rock salt also since 2014 so no difference anymore
Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 AM

If you watch a dog when he is walked across a road sprayed with that stuff when he gets across the road he is lifting his feet because they are burning. you have to use dog booties which get wet or drive him to a dog park. it seems once his paws are burned by salt or brine solution they spray it takes a long time for them to heal.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:22 AM

This calcium chloride brine that they are spraying on the roads is absolutely brutal for anyone that cares about having a clean vehicle/garage. If you take a look around you'll notice crap hanging from vehicles that you typically only see after major dumps of snow. The brine causes way more snow/debris to stick to rocker panels/undercarriage. Then it carries onto driveway and into garage. Try to squeegee that slippery greasy crap off of your garage floor. I end up shoveling snow onto the garage floor to absorb, then squeegee off to allow cement to become dry again. Give me a salt/sand mix anytime. I know some highways maintenance guys in NE B.C. that tried it out on the highways a few years ago, it was okay unit the mercury dipped to -20/-25 then the highways turned into absolute skating rinks.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
This calcium chloride brine that they are spraying on the roads is absolutely brutal for anyone that cares about having a clean vehicle/garage. If you take a look around you'll notice crap hanging from vehicles that you typically only see after major dumps of snow. The brine causes way more snow/debris to stick to rocker panels/undercarriage. Then it carries onto driveway and into garage. Try to squeegee that slippery greasy crap off of your garage floor. I end up shoveling snow onto the garage floor to absorb, then squeegee off to allow cement to become dry again. Give me a salt/sand mix anytime. I know some highways maintenance guys in NE B.C. that tried it out on the highways a few years ago, it was okay unit the mercury dipped to -20/-25 then the highways turned into absolute skating rinks.
Eats concrete , kills trees / grass & more. As mentioned above.

Anyone parking in shops / garages should take pictures now, then after a year or two, for insurance etc......
Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Salt ???

Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
If you watch a dog when he is walked across a road sprayed with that stuff when he gets across the road he is lifting his feet because they are burning. you have to use dog booties which get wet or drive him to a dog park. it seems once his paws are burned by salt or brine solution they spray it takes a long time for them to heal.
Now this would pizz me off...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 AM

I also believe this spray is a terrible Idea for many reasons listed above. This morning driving to work was -13 and there was a constant mist spraying off other cars. As soon as it touched my windshield it started to crystallize which blocks your vision immediately. I had to spray my washer fluid almost. The whole drive.

This is a link for the city of Edmonton, please email them with your opinions, some good points made here.

parksandroads@edmonton.ca
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbones4 View Post
I also believe this spray is a terrible Idea for many reasons listed above. This morning driving to work was -13 and there was a constant mist spraying off other cars. As soon as it touched my windshield it started to crystallize which blocks your vision immediately. I had to spray my washer fluid almost. The whole drive.

This is a link for the city of Edmonton, please email them with your opinions, some good points made here.

parksandroads@edmonton.ca
Yup. Minus 15 the other morning and my headlights were wet and dirty. Under normal conditions before the use of this junk, the Henday would be dry. I commute from Sherwood park to Nisku every day. All we are doing is accomadating "new foreign" drivers that have no idea how to drive for the conditions in winter. I see the type of folk in the ditches quite often. Sorry if i sound like i am profiling but its the truth. A couple snowflakes and they are driving with their hazzards on 50km under the speed limit.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I've noticed this year particularly bad for snow tracked into the garage...now I know why