Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Defleshing Temp/Time Limits?

Just harvested my second deer ever and I want to try tanning the hide. I have removed the hide and started defleshing and cleaning it up. This process is definitely time consuming. Are there temperature or time limits to getting the defleshing completed? I couldn't find anything online specifically about temp/time limits, but thought I would ask in case it's so basic that it was assumed to be "commonly known". Thanks!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:30 PM

You can freeze it and flesh it whenever you have time. I find that all hides are easier to flesh when they are fresh, so would just as soon get it done right away. Takes less room in the freezer if space is an issue. Order "Deerskin to Buckskin" by Matt Richards. A great how to for the do it yourself brain tanner.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:07 PM

String it up on a frame lay it on the ground and pour water on the flesh side to swell it. Comes off a lot easier but if it's freezing outside it won't work. If it's frozen and you have a good scraper just start working away, short controlled strokes so you don't cut your hide. If you want to do it on a fleshing beam with a drawknife that works too, also helps to soak it a bit first to swell stuff.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the response guys! Much appreciated, exactly the tidbits of info I was looking for.