Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM

That's too bad that people who expect free game meat disappear when it comes to butchering day. When I was preparing for my first hunt this last month that was one aspect I was really looking forward to. I spent hours watching videos of people taking apart deer and elk. When I was brewing beer I found the most rewarding way to do it was to do as much of it from scratch as possible. Milling my own grain and growing my own hops at my parents house while I lived in a university residence. Spending a lot of time and getting good at something that others but especially you appreciate I think is really cool. Can't wait until I have an animal on the table and get to learn how to butcher.
I was unsuccessful this year in large part due to getting my car stuck in the bush for most of my trip but for the few hours I did manage to go looking for an animal I loved it. I slept in my freezing car and it rained while I walked around but I enjoyed it just as much as I thought I would.
I'm hooked, can't wait until my next trip
Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 PM

I get a kick outta those types that hear I shot an elk or a moose or even a deer and it's always "ooooh,bring me an elk/moose/deer steak"....always a steak....never a pound of burger or stew meat,ALWAYS a steak (or a few steaks) like an elk is 600lbs of walking steaks waiting to be sliced up,lol.
Then there's my non-hunting bud who offers to buy his own tags for me to fill,like sure buddy,buy a $39 elk tag and I'll just spend a few hundred on gas and countless days hunting,then if I'm lucky I'll kill a 3pt elk,1/4 it,pack it out,drive it home,tag it illegally with your tag,probly need to butcher and vac seal it for ya too,then I'll give it all away as if you just asked me to pick up a quart of milk on the way over....get bent.
"Oh well,if ya shoot something call me and I'll come out and tag it and help get it out."......hmmmmmm,let's see....how bout GFY NO!!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 PM

Hahahaha great post above.

Kurt, when can I pick up my quarter of your moose? You passed on too many bulls this season?
Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Hahahaha great post above.

Kurt, when can I pick up my quarter of your moose? You passed on too many bulls this season?
Maybe tomorrow
Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 PM

Good luck out there
Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 AM

and when you gave a person some game meat,a week later they might sayh,that game meat you gave me smelled funny,we couldnt eat it,we throw it to garbage!now i dont give away game meat,they need to ask 10 times.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Good luck out there
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Good job brother
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Pretty sure a pound of ground sheep meat starts at $1,000 and goes up from there.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Good job brother
Coming over for steak?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Stuck on this site they call Syncrude, be down for 10 days starting on the 11th. Calf Moose and Whitey, if my Target buck shows up.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:10 PM

When I had my Westley Richards restored to its former glory by an old friend, I asked him how much . "" just get me some moose tenderloin and we will call it square" REALLY???!! Wow, great deal!
I told him it may be a while and he was good with it.
That was three years ago.
This fall I headed downriver to help another AO member (and one of my very best hunting buddies) with some fuel. They had a moose down and told me I was welcome to a quarter for helping
I asked if it would be okay if I only took the tenderloins to pay off a debt - I got one of the back straps as well!
That is how things should work, and when I get my elk this fall I will be paying my buddy a visit with some meat if he isn't with me if and when I tag it.
Cat
Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
When I had my Westley Richards restored to its former glory by an old friend, I asked him how much . "" just get me some moose tenderloin and we will call it square" REALLY???!! Wow, great deal!
I told him it may be a while and he was good with it.
That was three years ago.
This fall I headed downriver to help another AO member (and one of my very best hunting buddies) with some fuel. They had a moose down and told me I was welcome to a quarter for helping
I asked if it would be okay if I only took the tenderloins to pay off a debt - I got one of the back straps as well!
That is how things should work, and when I get my elk this fall I will be paying my buddy a visit with some meat if he isn't with me if and when I tag it.
Cat
Cat. You are right, that's how they should work. 😀
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-02-2017, 12:38 PM

I am at the other end of the spectrum this year. I ended up with a cow moose draw and want to give half of it away. Cut down the middle and you do what you want with it. I will gut it,skin it,have it hanging in the shop and still cant find any takers on it. But bet ya if I cut and wrapped the whole thing it would be easy to get rid of. But I am not cutting and wrapping 1/2 a moose to just give it away. So this year its gonna be one saved cow moose from getting taken. ( I screwed up on my draw and didn't 999 it)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 PM

I always make a point to ask my buddies for the heart of their animal. Most people leave the best part behind in the gut pile!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM

We always give away wild meat, mostly because I shoot way more than we could ever possibly eat by ourselves. One time we gave a bunch to a community worker to share around with people that needed it where we live. They were so amazed and thankful, there was probably 5 or 600$ worth of meat in those boxes. And of course there are all the friends that really enjoy a nice moose or elk steak to chew on.

Some people act so weird over sharing meat.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
We always give away wild meat, mostly because I shoot way more than we could ever possibly eat by ourselves. One time we gave a bunch to a community worker to share around with people that needed it where we live. They were so amazed and thankful, there was probably 5 or 600$ worth of meat in those boxes. And of course there are all the friends that really enjoy a nice moose or elk steak to chew on.

Let me ask you this, just exactly how many animals do you shoot a year that you kill so many you could not possibly eat it all?

I'm not going to say what I think about killing way more animals than you could possibly eat, but I will say that 2 deer, 1 moose and one elk is about what my family goes through in a year.

Those that have a limit to what they can kill understand the value of wild game.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Maybe the local food bank could hire you to kill way more than you need. Youd be like the Robin Hood of meat.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 AM

I don't harvest animals to give away to others. We take what we need for the year and that's that. I purchase nearly every tag I can though...why? More tags more opportunity. If one year I don't get an elk or moose maybe a few antlerless Bowzone deer will fill my freezer. I don't have a crystal ball but I am ready if I don't get a large animal down. I don't agree with filling every tag to give away the majority of meat however, just my opinion. If I want to share I would rather cook a meal and have the recipients over for a nice dinner.

LC
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast."

This is a pet peeve of mine. Like you I have given away tons of game, but it's the entitlement to 'Free" meat that chafes me.

I've had generous souls say they don't want something for nothing, they would be happy to reimburse me for the cost of the tag.

I used to have some special game packages for those mooches. Shanks, neck roast, ground blood shot and bruised trim for stew. Coyote back straps and hips make great jerky.

Oddly the requests seem to have stopped.
Be happy to take those shanks off your hands just don’t debone them. One of my favourite meals. Ossobuko so good. I’ll pass on the yote though Thanks

Last edited by Freerider; 11-03-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Last few years we've gone through one elk and two deer.... and we're buying meat by may or June.
I have some good friends that will call me up and let me have the sections that they don't want..... ribs... front shoulders... neck.. whatever.

My kids and I convert it all to trim and we get it done into burger.

If you got a spare moose laying around...... gimme a PM.

Teenagers are hungry critters.

I give my elk shanks and hind bones to a family that loves them.

Stew and soup! They swear by it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Last few years we've gone through one elk and two deer.... and we're buying meat by may or June.
I have some good friends that will call me up and let me have the sections that they don't want..... ribs... front shoulders... neck.. whatever.

My kids and I convert it all to trim and we get it done into burger.

If you got a spare moose laying around...... gimme a PM.

Teenagers are hungry critters.

I give my elk shanks and hind bones to a family that loves them.

Stew and soup! They swear by it.
You need to look up:
Osso Buco. Mmmmm
Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 AM

This year most of my coworkers have asked me how my hunting trip went. After hearing I got a bull moose everyone said congrats, but no one has ever asked me for free meat. I don't mind giving away some ground or roasts. I wouldn't give away any of the sausage or choice steaks though.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 AM

There used to be a few people that would pester me for meat, but for the most part, it was me offering extra meat to friends. And usually those friends ended up dropping off a bottle of rye or rum or a box of beer in appreciation, even though I have never asked for, or expected anything in return.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
We always give away wild meat, mostly because I shoot way more than we could ever possibly eat by ourselves.

How does one save a quote for a signature line? This has got to be one of the more profound statements I've read on this forum and really exposes what's wrong with hunting "rights".

On a side note, I put some moose through the grinder, had my Dad and a friend help out. I think it's the best sausage we've ever made! Dave was happy with his care package.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM

those links look yummy nice job
Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Let me ask you this, just exactly how many animals do you shoot a year that you kill so many you could not possibly eat it all?

I'm not going to say what I think about killing way more animals than you could possibly eat, but I will say that 2 deer, 1 moose and one elk is about what my family goes through in a year.

Those that have a limit to what they can kill understand the value of wild game.
1 moose, 1 elk, 2 black bears, 2 or 3 deer, and there is only 2 of us at home now. So we give a lot away to people that live near us that cannot get their own wild meat anymore.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't harvest animals to give away to others. We take what we need for the year and that's that. I purchase nearly every tag I can though...why? More tags more opportunity. If one year I don't get an elk or moose maybe a few antlerless Bowzone deer will fill my freezer. I don't have a crystal ball but I am ready if I don't get a large animal down. I don't agree with filling every tag to give away the majority of meat however, just my opinion. If I want to share I would rather cook a meal and have the recipients over for a nice dinner.

LC
I hunt so I can kill animals. and I've paid the govt so I can do it too!! Hunting isn't just spending time in the bush and looking at animals.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
1 moose, 1 elk, 2 black bears, 2 or 3 deer, and there is only 2 of us at home now. So we give a lot away to people that live near us that cannot get their own wild meat anymore.
What if you could only shoot 1 moose every 5 years and had to abide by "seasons" that you would have to try and fit around your work schedule?

You might see what the big deal is about giving away wild meat if you understood that for some Canadians it's NOT an unlimited, unrestricted resource.

I realize it's a foreign concept for some, but for others it's a reality.... sad, I know.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I hunt so I can kill animals.