Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM

I like giving a bit away to friends, it usually happens when I host a dinner. My wife was always on me to give away packages of meat. I told her these people don't go into their freezer and give me their food why should I give away our family's food?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 PM

I don't think I've ever had anyone ask me for meat.
I do get given meat all the time though.
Usually a package of sausage or jerky from someone who does an amazing job at it.
As I'm leaving they'll say they threw a package on the seat of my truck.
I think they're proud of their work, and like to show it off. (And I'm happy to play food critic.)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:33 PM

I give away lots. Usually after they are over for dinner and are complimentary about game. Never to people who come right out and ask me for it like it is free. Never.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:13 PM

I've always wondered about this angle of giving away meat...................

How often do guys claim to other people that they harvested the animal even though the meat was given to them.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 PM

About two weeks after I see your harvested moose pics on here I'll be over to pick up my 1/4
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Banned

I only harvest what I think I’ll eat through the year until the next season. Moose is a little different.....two years. If I have extra towards the end of summer I’ll give people that I know any extra. A hunter who can’t get out for whatever reason gets a decent amount of meat, I may even shoot an extra deer for him. I figure that I may be in the same spot one day. Sometimes I give people some out of appreciation for something or other.

I call people who come around looking for handouts......Human Magpies.

For example, I generally don’t eat the liver from my deer unless in a hunting camp. For several years I’d give a neighbour the liver because he told me that he liked it. After a few years he asked to have something better, like a nice roast or some steaks from the deer instead of the liver. Now, he gets nothing. Human Magpie.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-26-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 AM

^ lol at the neighbour

No one has ever asked me for meat, really. I just voluntarily gave away 21 kilos of it though to my folks who are visiting us for a couple of weeks. Just finished weighing the whole thing in order to get the export permit tomorrow. Came to about 10 kg of an elk cow I shot earlier in the season (she is really good, definitely the best tasting elk i’ve had so far), about 4.5 kg of a mulie and about the same of whitetail from last year. Plus four bunnies they wanted that I had frozen from February, I think. lol.

If someone had asked, I guess it depends on the person. For example, my neighbour on left would get the best piece I have on hand; the neibour on the right, would probably end up with not much if anything. A relative or a friend would get what they asked for or what I could pull anyway. But I guess maybe that is because they don’t ask. If they kept asking all the time, I would eventually tell them to go get their own. Probably, I don’t really know.

However, the meet doesn’t come expensive to me most of the time. Basically the cost of tags and up to $50, say even a hundred, in gas. Well, I guess you can add a bullet as well. Whitetail is a bit of a different story though since I would go further and quite possibly more times. If I lived in Edmonton and had to take a week off work and drive who knows where plus scouting, etc I would probably feel differently.

The cow elk I shot his year came to about $1.50-1.70 per kilogram in real money. Of course I do not take processing time into account.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 AM

Most people think that because you hunt the meat is free,i gave away more than I want to say,but a lot of it was to family which I bartered with them.

If i give you 50 pounds I would like 25 pounds of it in meat pies,i buy the flour and lard and pork and darn they were good.

Another new how to cook the best roasts so one for me and one for you,my wife worked steady and her roasts were like eating boiled leather boots.

Another made the best home made beans I ever ate and that was my mother,so she only got calf meat for her self and I would get a crock off beans to bring to work up north anytime.I supplied the beans the slab bacon and black strap molasses buy the gallon and the dry mustard.

So i ate moose 6 days a week ,the steaks i did myself and always had my gravy,my beans,my canned fish from another i bartered.

Out of the bunch came apple pies , fresh home made bread,canned meats,cuase when i came to town i was in and out,so i would get on my sat phone and make my orders and in return they always had top off the line freah meat in the fall till mid summer than it was fish,same deal.

Those good people were a big reason for me and my wife to fill our tags every year and we did it with ease,Now there all gone so i don't eat as much as i use to and refuse to it help fill some ones tag just so they could brag about a moose.

My butcher needed fire wood for his shop so i would drag ten cords and huck it on a truck and have my guy drop it to him he paid for the price of my feul and pay the drivers wage, which came to 35 a cord plus in return for my work all my meat cut and wrapped any way i wanted,if it was a large old bull ,all hamburger and i paid for the beef fat and that was what i gave to the ones who were more than capable of hunting was hamburger .

Every one pitched in i ate like a king with good clean food and all parties were happy.You can't beat fresh eggs ,fresh home made bread a plié of beans and good cup of tea to fire up your morning.

Last edited by JD848; 10-27-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ya I just tell'em that it would be like giving away a bar of gold...that wee little steak is about ten bucks a bite when you add up all that was involved to put meat in the freezer....

I do however bring the odd treat to work for the troops to enjoy but the more people ask the less they will get.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Can I have some?

I get the same thing from a bunch on non hunting / fishing family members.
"wow that deer / moose, elk jerky / sausage / kuby / smoked salmon, candied salmon/ halibut / pike is great!" Can I have some more, or you got any extra?

Never want to come hunting cause its cold.
Never offer to help drag an animal out of the bush.
Never want to help butcher.
Never want to go salmon or fresh water fishing, cause we don't have the time, or we are going to Mexico/ Hawaii/ Cuba instead.
Fishing off the west coast is "so expensive"
$500.00 a day to stay in a lodge and have somebody take you out on the ocean to fish?! Are you kidding me?
Never want to help pay for the meat processing.
Wow, I didn't know jerky costs so much.
Does vacuum sealing really cost that much more than wrapping in paper?

Because of these reasons, I am have become extremely skeptical on giving anything away anymore.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Can I have some?

I get the same thing from a bunch on non hunting / fishing family members.
"wow that deer / moose, elk jerky / sausage / kuby / smoked salmon, candied salmon/ halibut / pike is great!" Can I have some more, or you got any extra?

Never want to come hunting cause its cold.
Never offer to help drag an animal out of the bush.
Never want to help butcher.
Never want to go salmon or fresh water fishing, cause we don't have the time, or we are going to Mexico/ Hawaii/ Cuba instead.
Fishing off the west coast is "so expensive"
$500.00 a day to stay in a lodge and have somebody take you out on the ocean to fish?! Are you kidding me?
Never want to help pay for the meat processing.
Wow, I didn't know jerky costs so much.
Does vacuum sealing really cost that much more than wrapping in paper?

Because of these and many more reasons, I am have become extremely skeptical on giving anything away anymore.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Many times I am asked for "samples" from co-workers and friends. Some I'm happier to share with than others. It really depends on the character of the person. There are some who are "human magpies" (good one, HunterDave!) and I think those are the kind that tend to annoy us. Others are genuinely appreciative, and it feels great to share with them.

This year I'm especially blessed to have received some from a friend who had extra - it's been a long time since we've had moose meat in the freezer, and we're enjoying it tremendously. And some of that is getting passed on to friends and family too.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Or a roast... How many times a year do you hear that when people find out you have a moose, elk, or deer?

I give away lots of wild game meat every year, some people need it, some people don't, but nobody thinks twice about asking for it.

One guy asked for a quarter of moose and said he'd give ma a quarter of elk when he shot one. I gave him a quarter, he shot an elk..... musta forgot about the deal he made.

This year he found out I got my moose draw, so he graciously offered to help me with my moose. When I brought up the fact I was still waiting for my elk meat, I got the deer in the headlights stare. Then he says he didn't know I wanted any elk meat, even forgot about the quarter of moose I hung in his shed until his wife said "yesssss, remember he gave us a quarter of moose".

I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast. I'd rather do that, beef roast is so much easier to come by!!!
I don't hunt. I think I would like to, but another expensive hobby.

I'm one of the guys that will always ask if some meat is available. I mean, you will never get any if you never ask, however, I have always offered to pay for my share.

Some have told me not to worry, and just given me some meat.
Others have happily taken my money, and given me some meat.

In both these cases, I respect the effort put into getting the meat, and i enjoy it thoroughly, often fighting my daughter for the 'last piece'.

Others won't share, and I'm ok with that, since they put in the effort.

So....got any meat? I'll happily pay

Cheers
Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I don't hunt. I think I would like to, but another expensive hobby.

I'm one of the guys that will always ask if some meat is available. I mean, you will never get any if you never ask, however, I have always offered to pay for my share.

Some have told me not to worry, and just given me some meat.
Others have happily taken my money, and given me some meat.

In both these cases, I respect the effort put into getting the meat, and i enjoy it thoroughly, often fighting my daughter for the 'last piece'.

Others won't share, and I'm ok with that, since they put in the effort.

So....got any meat? I'll happily pay

Cheers
It's not the guys that ask once to try it that gets me, it's the guys who ask every year, the guys who are "busy" on butcher day, and the guys who "forgot" you wanted some in exchange once they finally shoot something.

I enjoy sharing my wild game, the sausage, the jerky and some cuts of meat but I have two buddies who always ask and seem to disappear when it comes to to help out or return the flavor.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
It's not the guys that ask once to try it that gets me, it's the guys who ask every year, the guys who are "busy" on butcher day, and the guys who "forgot" you wanted some in exchange once they finally shoot something.

I enjoy sharing my wild game, the sausage, the jerky and some cuts of meat but I have two buddies who always ask and seem to disappear when it comes to to help out or return the flavor.
I totally get it.

I would come hunting with anyone who was willing to take me. I'd be happy to help haul out an animal, or whatever was needed. I don't know a lot of hunters, which is to say, I don't really know any very well.

Just haven't had the opportunities. However, growing up in Saskatchewan, my aunt and uncle were avid hunters. Not sure they ever bought store meat while i was alive. And every once in a while, i would get treated to some of their meat (deer, moose, elk, bear) and it was always delicious.

So I always ask if I can, and I always offer to pay. Seems right, I did nothing to earn it.

Last week I enjoyed a moose roast. Was the best roast I've ever had. Rotisseried it on the BBQ. Mentioned to the guy (it was a friend's brother's girlfriend who took the moose to explain my point of not knowing anyone) how delicious it was and how grateful i was that he even gave me the roast to begin, and then gave me a bag of moose steaks. Me and the daughter cleaned them off Saturday night *drool*

good times.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM

I don't get a lot of requests for meat as my friends/family hunt. I do get a lot of requests for fish, particularly walleye as we have a cabin in SK. One gentleman has health issues that limit his diet (kidney transplant) and his mobility. I have no issues providing him with fish regularly.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

It is really aggravating some times.

I have had one neighbor say to me once he found out I had deer in the freezer,
"I can't wait to have some deer!".... As if it is expected or an obligation of mine to give it away. Or as if we are close personal friends(we are not).

Maybe he was half joking or not really serious, but as most of you have mentioned, a lot of time, energy and work goes into harvesting these animals.

Oh well, happy hunting!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 AM

I get "requests" from my family every year. The ones that will get some meat are the ones that view it as a gift and are appreciative. The ones that don't get any meat are the ones that view it more as their right. I have no problem sharing with someone that really in need or my friends. The only person I would say is guaranteed a share of wild game is the land owner and anyone who helps me with the processing, even then its a gift. My hunting partners usually get a taste as well because they offer samples as well.

It really bugs me when people think the meat is free. By the time everything is added up I pay more for my wild game than I do for store bought. Also add in the fact that I usually make my own jerky or sausage. I even have one family member that feels it is their right to take wild meat right from my freezer without asking.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Wags, you do know it's illegal to buy or sell game. A lot of poaching is very lucrative because of this practice.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-27-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Wags, you do know it's illegal to buy or sell game. A lot of poaching is very lucrative because of this practice.
No worries, I'm paying for the cost of packaging, preparers time, etc. The meat is free.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Gramma gets free meat. Everyone else can chip in with some kind of chores around here.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Quote:
No worries, I'm paying for the cost of packaging, preparers time, etc. The meat is free.
And the Judge laughed...

Sorry Wags, that won't fly.

Though he is not the only one on this thread that admitted to breaking the law....

Watch your language boys.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-27-2017, 12:49 PM

I love sharing with friends and family. I have bbq's and host suppers. I gift some meat to the people who appreciate it and the hard work that went into harvesting and butchering.

My wife's friend, who I don't like to begin with, asked me for some moose steaks last year because it was "free" and she would love some. I replied that it wasn't free at all. That the gas I spent driving sometimes hours to and back from spots is not free. The countless hours spent in the bush and hard miles put on my body come at a price. The equipment for harvesting and butchering are definitely not free. The hours spent in a freezing room processing the animal from field to fork ... is my time not worth anything? If went to your house and started rummaging through your fridge and freezer and found a nice roast and said this is a beautiful roast can I have it? All I got was a blank stare with a dumb look on her face pretty much saying ... so I can't have some steaks? No I didn't give her anything. She is an ungrateful person to begin with though.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Depends on the year. Split an elk with a guy and then managed to arrow a bull moose. Will be giving away lots this year, especially sausage. The best is giving a roast to mom and dad or a buddy, And then getting invited over for moose roast dinner! I do find it more difficult to part ways with my steaks though.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And the Judge laughed...

Sorry Wags, that won't fly.

Though he is not the only one on this thread that admitted to breaking the law....

Watch your language boys.
Just because i've offered doesn't mean anyone has taken it.

But I hear ya.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Just because i've offered doesn't mean anyone has taken it.

But I hear ya.

And this is why we can;t have nice things.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
If I had to give you a pack of steaks every time I got lucky I'd have to be a cattle rancher
That's not what she said...
Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 AM

The requests are one thing but the fact that when I give someone meat they eat it and tell me that they did whatever with it or cooked it such and such way and thanks it was great is important.....unless I hear that consider it your last piece.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I like giving a bit away to friends, it usually happens when I host a dinner. My wife was always on me to give away packages of meat. I told her these people don't go into their freezer and give me their food why should I give away our family's food?
I like the way you roll. LOL.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 AM

My boy and I were cleaning geese yesterday. An oriental fellow drove up in a BMW and walked up the driveway and asked if he could buy a goose. I told him that he couldn't because that is illegal. However he walked away with a goose as a gift.