Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Default land permission for bow-hunting in WMU 212 in the bearspaw area

For the fall hunting season for 2017, ranging from september - november; my friend and I were wondering if anybody in the bearspaw area of WMU 212, would allow access for bowhunters. I've grown up in the area my whole life and in the past 3 years, I have seen a huge surge in both whitetail and mule deer populations. I was wondering where I could find someone who would be willing to allow my friend and I, to bowhunt on their land; as I cannot hunt on Rocky View municipal reserve land and environmental land. Does anyone know somebody who would be willing to allow hunting on their property? I am willing to share the meat with the land owner as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Me too please!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKauff1999 View Post
For the fall hunting season for 2017, ranging from september - november; my friend and I were wondering if anybody in the bearspaw area of WMU 212, would allow access for bowhunters. I've grown up in the area my whole life and in the past 3 years, I have seen a huge surge in both whitetail and mule deer populations. I was wondering where I could find someone who would be willing to allow my friend and I, to bowhunt on their land; as I cannot hunt on Rocky View municipal reserve land and environmental land. Does anyone know somebody who would be willing to allow hunting on their property? I am willing to share the meat with the land owner as well.
If you've " grown up my whole life in the area " , wouldn't you know all the locals to ask ???

ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ......
Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 PM

From your name (..1999..) I'm assuming you're a younger hunter and may be new-ish to the sport, or new to finding land permissions?
In any case, I can almost guarantee you no success in receiving permission to hunt private land, especially in the bowzone, by asking over the internet. You have the right idea by asking early in the season, but you and your friend need to go out and talk with landowners face to face. It's part of being a hunter. Don't get discouraged when (not if) people say no - just be polite and move on to the next opportunity. Also, if you're looking for permission for both of you, I suggest both of you walk up to the door and ask together. Most people want to see and get to know the people they let onto land they make their living from, or worked their whole life to afford.

Best of luck!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403Bowhunter View Post
From your name (..1999..) I'm assuming you're a younger hunter and may be new-ish to the sport, or new to finding land permissions?
In any case, I can almost guarantee you no success in receiving permission to hunt private land, especially in the bowzone, by asking over the internet. You have the right idea by asking early in the season, but you and your friend need to go out and talk with landowners face to face. It's part of being a hunter. Don't get discouraged when (not if) people say no - just be polite and move on to the next opportunity. Also, if you're looking for permission for both of you, I suggest both of you walk up to the door and ask together. Most people want to see and get to know the people they let onto land they make their living from, or worked their whole life to afford.

Best of luck!

Thank you! I will take your advice and due so. I've been hunting since 2013, but I still consider myself new and I am always interested in learning new things. Do you have any other tips?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Buy yourself a landowner map or get the eye Hunter landowner map

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Thanks for giving intelligent advice to an inexperienced person. We need more of this here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403Bowhunter View Post

Best of luck!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

Go knock on doors jeez ppl are god dam lazy there days I wonder how ppl hunted before the Internet
Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
If you've " grown up my whole life in the area " , wouldn't you know all the locals to ask ???

ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ......
X2 there's no way you've lived there your whole life and don't know a few people with land. Must have gone to school with someone. Have only been part of a family from rocky for eight years and I've got permission from about 10 surrounding properties without even asking. Say hi to people. Help when people ask, and when you need something people usually say yes or know you well enough to know what you like to do (hunt) and try to help you out of their kindness
Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Go knock on doors jeez ppl are god dam lazy there days I wonder how ppl hunted before the Internet
Another awesome post by slicktricker!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM

To the op. I've just started hunting private land last year and I was in your same position. Ive had great luck over the last season by knocking on doors and introducing myself just creating small talk. I've offered help fencing or anything they need done around there land and some have taken me up on that and some told me not to worry about it. I was nervous my first couple times as I'm not great talking with new people but after the first couple I was more comfortable and things where much easier, if they say no don't get upset or rude and just say thanks for your time and was nice meeting you and move on down the road. Good luck and get out there early and talk to some people. You will have luck!!