Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 06:54 AM

Default Seek Thermal

Does anyone have a Seek Thermal or know anyone who does? Are they worth the money? I hunt in some very thick swampy areas for bears and one of these would be nice in some recoveries. Just wondering if it is worth the $$ or not. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Just bought one a couple of weeks for my upcoming bear hunt actually. After last years experience on a recovery for a friends I thought this thing would be gold. Don't have any field experience feedback for ya but I played around with it in the house on my animals in the dark and took it outside to test on birds and stuff. Seems pretty cool,has many different shade options. I think if I do need to use it I'll be going with the black and white image,seems to clear up the the background better and won't get you so confused on what's producing heat. Otherwise for the price,it's definitely pricey but until i field test it won't be able to give it a price value. There is a few good YouTube videos to give you an idea how it works.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Hunter4ever12;3535732]Just bought one a couple of weeks for my upcoming bear hunt actually. After last years experience on a recovery for a friends I thought this thing would be gold. Don't have any field experience feedback for ya but I played around with it in the house on my animals in the dark and took it outside to test on birds and stuff. Seems pretty cool,has many different shade options. I think if I do need to use it I'll be going with the black and white image,seems to clear up the the background better and won't get you so confused on what's producing heat. Otherwise for the price,it's definitely pricey but until i field test it won't be able to give it a price value. There is a few good YouTube videos to give you an idea how it works.

How much roughly? I seen them at Wholesale sports here for around the 500 dollar mark.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM

I picked mine up at Cabelas on sale for $439
Old 05-09-2017, 11:08 PM

couldnt you also use this when sitting in a stand deer hunting? scan the surrounding bush for heat traces & can anticipate when something is coming in?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Yes...i would think so. I wand it more for bear hunting...i like to sit until legal time at night...but often the walk out to the quad is sketchy in the dark when bears are all around. I would like to be able to scan the area in front of me to make sure i have a safe path out in the dark. And also to locate a downed bear....or any animal for that matter. I have walked 10 feet past a downed elk in the thick hazel brush....i think the Seek Thermal would help alot....i was just hoping for some field reviews before i pull the trigger on one.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:14 PM

They also make an attachment for your phone, I believe they are quite a bit cheaper and last time I was in Lane Archery in lethbridge they had one on sale, not sure of the price though.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
They also make an attachment for your phone, I believe they are quite a bit cheaper and last time I was in Lane Archery in lethbridge they had one on sale, not sure of the price though.
I thought about going that way at first but it didn't have very good range and not that I would be using it to find animals in the bush,I just figured a bit more range might be handy one day. Also the pain of having your phone with you,making sure your battert was charged fully etc.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Hot trees and bushes

Why, on the commercial for Seek Thermals does it show that the trees and bushes are red? My thoughts it's garbage!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufferdog View Post
Why, on the commercial for Seek Thermals does it show that the trees and bushes are red? My thoughts it's garbage!
Everything holding heat would be the reason. From my research the red view is better for winter depending on what your looking for. Otherwise the black and white mode is best for daytime.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:49 PM

having experience with thermals in the military that cost way more, I can tell you there are drawbacks for it. it will not show trails of heat long after an animal has passed by. drops of blood(tracking) don't display very much heat let alone retain heat. On a hot day everything in the sun will be glowing, rocks especially. id be very skeptic about buying one. hopefully there will be some feed back from users but id hold off until then.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 PM

I would only use mine after a bear was shot and ran into the bush. Mainly in hopes to find his actual body not blood trail or foot prints. Until I actually use the thing I can't give it any feedback.

Here's the one video I found that helped out on the purchase.

https://youtu.be/NIjyp90lQAg
Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Banned

I have the camo seek reveal extended range and it works very well. Once you familiarize yourself with the multi function colour background settings it isn't difficult to tell exactly what you are looking at day or night. Tracking footprints for example do show up well and can be tracked just fine if you know what to look for. The range on larger animals human size or bigger can be picked up so quickly it's insane. If you are tracking during the day however I would recommend throwing a towel or something similar over your head for a more clear picture as it's no different than trying to look at your smart phone screen in bright conditions. I would definitely recommend this device to anyone interested, you get $5000 technology in your hand for a fraction of the cost.