Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 AM

Default BC hunter host

Has anyone gone through the hunter hosting in Bc as an Alberta resident? I'm planning to head out toBC with a BC resident friend of mine. Just wondering about timelines and any hang ups that I will encounter.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2017, 12:53 PM

My brother is in B.C.. He comes here every year. I go there occasionally. Process is clearly laid out in their regs. It is way less user friendly than Alberta and also far more restrictive in the areas it applies to. You need to start well in advance of when you want to go and follow the rules closely. They are far too convoluted to rehash here.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My brother is in B.C.. He comes here every year. I go there occasionally. Process is clearly laid out in their regs. It is way less user friendly than Alberta and also far more restrictive in the areas it applies to. You need to start well in advance of when you want to go and follow the rules closely. They are far too convoluted to rehash here.
Exactly! If you wan t a big game Resident hosted hunt in BC , for fall of 2017 ?

Start the application process NOW ! Moose and elk GOS seasons start August 15th

It can take 3 months for the process/permits
Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned

I am "Accompanied" (BC's version of hosted) by my brother every year in BC. It is more complicated then here in AB, but not that bad. Main thing to remember is that when he fills out paperwork for you, he has to specify what you want to hunt (and sometimes where you want to hunt) at least a month ahead of time. Nice thing about BC is that you don't need your "host" hanging on your your coattails all the time like here in AB (unless your dropped off and picked up from a certain location). Just do some reasearch and I'm sure you'll figure it all out. It's also quite a bit more expensive for non res tags. Good luck
Hunting small game and Game birds is much easier to do in BC then AB. No need to be accompanied and licence can be bought across the counter.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I am "Accompanied" (BC's version of hosted) by my brother every year in BC. It is more complicated then here in AB, but not that bad. Main thing to remember is that when he fills out paperwork for you, he has to specify what you want to hunt (and sometimes where you want to hunt) at least a month ahead of time. Nice thing about BC is that you don't need your "host" hanging on your your coattails all the time like here in AB (unless your dropped off and picked up from a certain location). Just do some reasearch and I'm sure you'll figure it all out. It's also quite a bit more expensive for non res tags. Good luck
Hunting small game and Game birds is much easier to do in BC then AB. No need to be accompanied and licence can be bought across the counter.
Are you sure about that, I was told you must be with in normal talking voice. Its the same as if you were a non-resident hunting with a guide you are supposed to be with the guide.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:32 PM

I think I got era figured. He is going to do the 'accompanied permit' this week and we know where and when we are going. Not sure if there is more hurdles to go through after that. But I did see the 30-90 day processing/approval that's kinda long.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Are you sure about that, I was told you must be with in normal talking voice. Its the same as if you were a non-resident hunting with a guide you are supposed to be with the guide.
You must be in voice / local visual contact when being hunt hosted in BC , you cannot drop your guest at km 15 on the Fat Beaver logging road and then proceed to watch the swamp at km 19 on the Fat Beaver logging road yourself as the sponsor,

If caught by COs or something gies awry ( wrong animal killed or wounded)
It's biggee trouble !, everyone goes home without a gun and a ticket in pocket
Old 05-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Can you get tags mailed to you or purchased online or do you have to stop in somewhere to purchase in Bc
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 PM

I've done it a few times hunting with family.
Make sure your host applies a few months in advance and know exactly where you want to hunt. There will only be a few zones you can hunt as you choose before what areas you will be hunting - it can't be changed after.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Can you get tags mailed to you or purchased online or do you have to stop in somewhere to purchase in Bc
Go to www2gov bc ca fishing-hunting
Scroll to non resident hunting permits etc
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
You must be in voice / local visual contact when being hunt hosted in BC , you cannot drop your guest at km 15 on the Fat Beaver logging road and then proceed to watch the swamp at km 19 on the Fat Beaver logging road yourself as the sponsor,

If caught by COs or something gies awry ( wrong animal killed or wounded)
It's biggee trouble !, everyone goes home without a gun and a ticket in pocket
You know, here is another one of those regs. that are not made clear. On page 9 of the BC regs it say's a non-res must be accompanied by the res, but nothing is said about how closely you have to be accompanied. Nothing mentioned at all about visual or audio limitations. On same page it also says for small game or game bird you don't need to be accompanied at all. I suppose if you get seperated then your hunting small game again. lol.
Lifes to short to complicate a nice day in the field with tiny technicalities. Could always call a CO to clarify things.
Life is also to short to argue about things like this. If there actually is some definitive guidelines on the distance your allowed to be from your "host" I would like to see them.

Last edited by waterninja; 05-03-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
You know, here is another one of those regs. that are not made clear. On page 9 of the BC regs it say's a non-res must be accompanied by the res, but nothing is said about how closely you have to be accompanied. Nothing mentioned at all about visual or audio limitations. On same page it also says for small game or game bird you don't need to be accompanied at all. I suppose if you get seperated then your hunting small game again. lol.
Lifes to short to complicate a nice day in the field with tiny technicalities. Could always call a CO to clarify things.
Just do as you want, work it out in court later,

The judge will be lenient on persons comprehensively challenged
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Life is also to short to argue about things like this. If there actually is some definitive guidelines on the distance your allowed to be from your "host" I would like to see them.
It's like a condition for a licensed driver accompanying a new driver with a learner permit,,while learning to drive,,

The person with the valid driver licence stays home while the New learning driver rips up the roads unaccompanied ,,

lol ,
Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just do as you want, work it out in court later,

The judge will be lenient on persons comprehensively challenged
Easy to talk out your butt, and be insulting, instead of actually showing the regs. Like I said, show me where it says you have to be this distance or that. Not saying your wrong, but put up or shut up. Annoying when people who have never done something tell others how it should be done. I'm sure there is some sort of rules as to distance, but I haven't seen them yet. I'd be happy to see your source.

Or is your source the guy who knows a guy who used to date a guy that was told by some guy in a bar that a CO told him you had to do it this way?

Last edited by waterninja; 05-03-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's like a condition for a licensed driver accompanying a new driver with a learner permit,,while learning to drive,,

The person with the valid driver licence stays home while the New learning driver rips up the roads unaccompanied ,,

lol ,
Hope I never have to share road with you.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Has anyone gone through the hunter hosting in Bc as an Alberta resident? I'm planning to head out toBC with a BC resident friend of mine. Just wondering about timelines and any hang ups that I will encounter.
Thanks in advance
You know, it's funny how every thread that has to do with questions about regs. always deteriorates into a peeing contest, ill informed guesses, rural myths and rude comments from the peanut gallery. I've hunted and fished BC for many years and really the best advise that I can offer is for you and your friend to contact Service BC, Front Counter BC or BC Fish and Wildlife and get all the information you need. Keep a record of all your conversations, because just when you think your ready to commit to one thing, another question will arise. You have plenty of time, and I wish you good luck on your BC adventure.
One important tip...... Make sure you get the seperate Game bird license when you get your small game license. BC residents don't need both, but you will. It's in the regs, but easily overlooked. Also, get a fishing license and bring a rod along.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 PM

Perhaps if you answered the question accurately, there would be no need for arguement. It's funny how when you break rules, it's just a tiny technicality. Just cause you hunt in BC and break rules every year and don't get caught, doesn't mean you should be telling others bad information.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Perhaps if you answered the question accurately, there would be no need for arguement. It's funny how when you break rules, it's just a tiny technicality. Just cause you hunt in BC and break rules every year and don't get caught, doesn't mean you should be telling others bad information.
Like I posted. Peanut gallery. Nice try though. Another poser with no real info, but a loser's attitude. Please post the accurate info. that you are hiding from the rest of us. Love a know it all with nothing to back it up.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 PM

.to the OP, water ninja is an admitted poacher. He breaks the rules and then calls it a grey area, probably best to take his advice and file it under g.

Last edited by coreya3212; 05-03-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
.to the OP, water ninja is an admitted poacher. He breaks the rules and then calls it a grey area, probably best to take his advice and file it under g.
Some of you guys would make good NHL referree's . Corey, are you allowed within 100 meter's of a school yet? I love how some of you feel better posting BS rather then helpfull info.
Please enlighten the rest of us with the proper regs.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Were you posting helpful info when you told him to break the rules or were you posting BS? Or is this another grey one?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Were you posting helpful info when you told him to break the rules or were you posting BS? Or is this another grey one?
Corey, it would help if you knew what you were talking about. Please stop making thing's up. I gave the page number in the regs that explain the guiding and "hosting" rules in the BC regs. If you have some other secret source of info. please let us know.
I'm trying to help another member out so he can enjoy a hunt in BC. Your making stupid allegations and slandering me for no reason. Yes, as a non-res in BC I can jump into my truck or go for a hike and hunt all day long without someone holding my hand, LEGALLY.
Best thing OP should do is his research to make sure he has all his bases covered.
By the way, good luck on your court case. I sure missed some of you guys. You should get out more and spend less time on your computer.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 PM

From my secret source, you know, the BC wildlife act,

"accompany" means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by unamplified voice with that person;

There you go OP, hope it helps you not be like others who decide the rules for themselves.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Corey, it would help if you knew what you were talking about. Please stop making thing's up. I gave the page number in the regs that explain the guiding and "hosting" rules in the BC regs. If you have some other secret source of info. please let us know.
I'm trying to help another member out so he can enjoy a hunt in BC. Your making stupid allegations and slandering me for no reason. Yes, as a non-res in BC I can jump into my truck or go for a hike and hunt all day long without someone holding my hand, LEGALLY.
Best thing OP should do is his research to make sure he has all his bases covered.
By the way, good luck on your court case. I sure missed some of you guys. You should get out more and spend less time on your computer.
You need your hunter host to be beside you, unless you are hunting small game where a host isn't required. FYI. I host every season and this hasn't changed.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
You need your hunter host to be beside you, unless you are hunting small game where a host isn't required. FYI. I host every season and this hasn't changed.
Thank you for that Canuck. I guess your in the same boat I'm in. Apparantly you don't know the regs and your a poacher.
Are you saying I can't hunt migratory bird without you holding my hand?
By the way in BC you don't call it a host.
Like I've been saying, regs are not always black and white. Of course it's just a technicality, but who cares? I'm just kidding to make a point.
P.S please show me in the regs, where your "host" has to be beside you. Peanut gallery say's you have to be within screaming distance. I'd really like to know what it is.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
From my secret source, you know, the BC wildlife act,

"accompany" means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by unamplified voice with that person;

There you go OP, hope it helps you not be like others who decide the rules for themselves.
Thank god. You must feel silly telling the rest of us what I was telling you all along. That is on page 3 of the BC hunting guide.
So this helps the OP how? I think he already knew he had to be accompanied. It's better to think ahead and do it LEGALLY.
You have to love the internet. You can argue all day but in the end it means nothing. Like I said, good luck with that court case.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thank god. You must feel silly telling the rest of us what I was telling you all along. That is on page 3 of the BC hunting guide.
So this helps the OP how? I think he already knew he had to be accompanied. It's better to think ahead and do it LEGALLY.
You have to love the internet. You can argue all day but in the end it means nothing. Like I said, good luck with that court case.
Quote:
Quote:
Some of you guys would make good NHL referree's . Corey, are you allowed within 100 meter's of a school yet? I love how some of you feel better posting BS rather then helpfull info.
Please enlighten the rest of us with the proper regs.
Quote:
Like I posted. Peanut gallery. Nice try though. Another poser with no real info, but a loser's attitude. Please post the accurate info. that you are hiding from the rest of us. Love a know it all with nothing to back it up.
Quote:
You know, it's funny how every thread that has to do with questions about regs. always deteriorates into a peeing contest, ill informed guesses, rural myths and rude comments from the peanut gallery. I've hunted and fished BC for many years and really the best advise that I can offer is for you and your friend to contact Service BC, Front Counter BC or BC Fish and Wildlife and get all the information you need. Keep a record of all your conversations, because just when you think your ready to commit to one thing, another question will arise. You have plenty of time, and I wish you good luck on your BC adventure.
One important tip...... Make sure you get the seperate Game bird license when you get your small game license. BC residents don't need both, but you will. It's in the regs, but easily overlooked. Also, get a fishing license and bring a rod along.
Quote:
Easy to talk out your butt, and be insulting, instead of actually showing the regs. Like I said, show me where it says you have to be this distance or that. Not saying your wrong, but put up or shut up. Annoying when people who have never done something tell others how it should be done. I'm sure there is some sort of rules as to distance, but I haven't seen them yet. I'd be happy to see your source.

Or is your source the guy who knows a guy who used to date a guy that was told by some guy in a bar that a CO told him you had to do it this way?
Quote:
Quote:
First you say this "Nice thing about BC is that you don't need your "host" hanging on your your coattails all the time like here in AB" but when others point out that you are full of crap, you say this " On page 9 of the BC regs it say's a non-res must be accompanied by the res, but nothing is said about how closely you have to be accompanied."

So we know that Waterninja goes to hunt in BC every year cause he says this, "I am "Accompanied" (BC's version of hosted) by my brother every year in BC." which kind of tells us all that he doesn't follow the rules around being accompanied, cause you know, its grey.

So I post the definition of accompany from the BC wildlife act, and waterninja says this "You must feel silly telling the rest of us what I was telling you all along. That is on page 3 of the BC hunting guide." but a few posts ago you had said this " but nothing is said about how closely you have to be accompanied." and this " If there actually is some definitive guidelines on the distance your allowed to be from your "host" I would like to see them" , so which is it Waterninja, did you know how close you had to be as defined or didn't you? It is the difference between knowing the rules and intentionally breaking them vs misunderstanding them. It sounds like you poach either way but at least a misunderstanding is understandable.

Or do you just make stuff up as you go along?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 AM

So once the 'accompanied' permit is submitted and processed what other hurdles does one have to go through? I'm not really interested in the issue of how close one has to be to the resident. It does seem to be a hot button though. I did go through the BC websites and didn't find any clear info.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
So once the 'accompanied' permit is submitted and processed what other hurdles does one have to go through? I'm not really interested in the issue of how close one has to be to the resident. It does seem to be a hot button though. I did go through the BC websites and didn't find any clear info.
Another very tricky thing about hunting in BC is getting used to the regions you will be hunting in. They can be broken up into numerous small area's or MU's which can get very confusing. A lot of times it is very difficult to tell what the boundaries are, esp. if your not familar with the area or have no cell reception to check an I-map.
Another reg that I've never run into in AB (though we probably have it in some WMU's) is whether you are at the right altitude. In some areas you can only hunt up to a certain altitude depending on what your hunting. I once tried to download an altitude app, and it never did load. It really can be tough to figure out some of the regs sometimes.

Tags
hunter host, non resident