Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 08:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Don't get me wrong, but why does someone have to shoot over 60 grouse in a season. Why not go out and catch a limit of perch every weekend all summer long, or shoot a deer for every possible tag that is available?
Why does someone have to eat 50 big macks every year?
Shoot, eat, repeat...some people actually eat a lot of wild meat.
In the 90's I raised my family basically on all wild meat, rabbits, ducks, geese, deer etc it was a way of life and cheaper, healthier than the crap that came across the counter.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Bird numbers are way down up here..i think the wet spring raised havoc with them this year.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Isn't the max 15 per species?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2016, 09:43 AM

I have been out a few times but the birds I have seen are jumpy (as in fly before you can get in range ) most of the time. The few we have seen have been in the bush fairly deep. They don't seem to be out on the trails as much as normal. Bagged a few Ruffies and one Spruce.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:14 PM

Default Good god

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
In the 90's I raised my family basically on all wild meat, rabbits, ducks, geese, deer etc it was a way of life and cheaper, healthier than the crap that came across the counter.
I suppose you're right.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:06 PM

Grouse were out nice today during moose hunting. Nice to see again this year.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:16 PM

Is there a certain times of day one has more success in seeing them? Would like to take the boy out for a walk just wondering what times would hold a better success rate. Thanks
Old 10-08-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr970 View Post
Is there a certain times of day one has more success in seeing them? Would like to take the boy out for a walk just wondering what times would hold a better success rate. Thanks
Mid afternoon.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Quote:
I suppose you're right.
No supposition here… my boy had a bad reaction to some breaded chicken not long ago - they’re now adding something called pea powder for cripes sakes.

I would rather he (all of us) had grouse to replace future chicken dishes if possible.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I am out on my trapline catching some beavers, I am seeing at least 100 ruffies a day, about an hour before dark is when I always see the most.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:46 PM

Perfect thanks guys
Old 10-09-2016, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Went out yesterday evening and the buggers were all over the quad trail running amuck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-09-2016, 07:21 AM

Up in the NW I see them most an hour before last light, they come out of the woodwork and are everywhere.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:47 AM

I've seen them out all day, but especially right at dusk.

Just cooked up a pile last night.

Onions, mushrooms, lots of seasoning...
added the cut up seasoned meat
once it was partially cooked I added some really good mushroom soup and some cream.
Simmered it for a while and topped with roasted pistachios, and crumbled up bacon left over from morning.

Everyone loved it and it went awesome with the perogies!!

I love cooking wild meat for people who've never had it before.

The dog has been awesome, this is his 3rd season. I've never really trained him for upland birds, just waterfowl. I take him with me all the time and it's an awesome way to get us both some exercise. He's really figuring it out and he's flushed birds I had NO IDEA were even there! Then he retrieves them out of the thick stuff after I knock em out of the air.

How did I live all those years without a Lab as a hunting partner??
Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 AM

Labs are very underrated as upland dogs. I went to my favorite road to look for Ruffies and was disappointed to see a truck creeping towards me with two orange coats looking for birds. They claimed no birds out yet and continued. The dogs flushed no less than a dozen on a mile stretch and even with several weak flushes that were too low for a shot I still managed a limit.

Where they really shine is routing out pheasants in cattails. I have literally walked right behind several groups at the release sites and they find birds in the rushes nearly every time. It is good to be back at the truck with a limit before the truck arrives as mentioned in another thread.

Upland hunting really tunes up a lab for finding cripples when waterfowling as well. The way we train them often makes them too sight oriented in their approach to finding birds. There is nothing I hate worse than a lab looking back for hand signals when he should easily be on scent.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:42 AM

I always bag out at dont ask me where...they thrive in there
Old 10-09-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The ruffed grouse is the Finest bird in the bush
Cat
..and one of the smartest too.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I have been out a few times but the birds I have seen are jumpy (as in fly before you can get in range ) most of the time. The few we have seen have been in the bush fairly deep. They don't seem to be out on the trails as much as normal. Bagged a few Ruffies and one Spruce.
Noticed the ruffies are like that too in my area. If the bush isn't too thick I will go in after them, I would say half the time I get em.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paskell View Post
I like and subscribe to the saying "limit your kill" don't have to "kill your limit". Like you say it's legal but people have different values and to me this is degrading this great game bird. You and Speckles obviously think differently. Same thing with fishing and the doe and fawn seasons. Limiting out and tagging out is not the mark of a good hunter for me. Many will disagree.
What Someone does wth with his birds is none of my business if he is doing it legally .
You can have your opinion the same as some think anybody that shoots a grouse with anything but a shotgun over a pointer is degrading the bird as well .
Posting as you are chastusing someone because your ethics are not theirs is not appreciated .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Labs are very underrated as upland dogs. I went to my favorite road to look for Ruffies and was disappointed to see a truck creeping towards me with two orange coats looking for birds. They claimed no birds out yet and continued. The dogs flushed no less than a dozen on a mile stretch and even with several weak flushes that were too low for a shot I still managed a limit.

Where they really shine is routing out pheasants in cattails. I have literally walked right behind several groups at the release sites and they find birds in the rushes nearly every time. It is good to be back at the truck with a limit before the truck arrives as mentioned in another thread.

Upland hunting really tunes up a lab for finding cripples when waterfowling as well. The way we train them often makes them too sight oriented in their approach to finding birds. There is nothing I hate worse than a lab looking back for hand signals when he should easily be on scent.
Agree. But I'm biased as I have a working lab and not a field trial dog
Old 10-09-2016, 06:23 PM

Default Snowy Sunday

Walked a few trails after lunch today -- thankfully had the rubber boots on.
Saw 3, but didn't even get the gun to my shoulder before they either flushed or ran like the Roadrunner into the thick stuff.

I've come across 1 or two skittish grouse in a day, but not all of them!

Tomorrow is another day. Great to be out regardless.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Ruffed have been great this year in my area. And this year I was able to bring the wife for her first hunt. She got a few and had a blast which was more important than getting our bag limit. This hunt set the stage now for many hunts to come together.

It's been a great year for grouse and hunting all around.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:14 PM

^^^^^^^ This.

I've taken my step son and daughter out now, and both had great times, looking forward to getting my wife out and getting involved, even got the go-ahead for another .22lr for exactly this purpose. WINNING lol
Old 10-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Banned

Default october 7 2016

I had the privilege of being given the opportunity to scout several areas two days ago.

The rat showed me more areas for game, but he found me not paying attention.

So I had to show him the birds I was attempting to groom.

As for the best time, the answer is perseverance, but in an enjoyable way.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:26 PM

One more question when you guys say trails what kind of trails grass? Gravel? Mud? What environment do they like more? Took the boy out today seen 2 but the boy couldn't get a clean shot. Thanks again
Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
One more question when you guys say trails what kind of trails grass? Gravel? Mud? What environment do they like more? Took the boy out today seen 2 but the boy couldn't get a clean shot. Thanks again
sand or gravel trails are best, mud not so much because they are looking to fill their gizzards
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-10-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Walked a few trails after lunch today -- thankfully had the rubber boots on.
Saw 3, but didn't even get the gun to my shoulder before they either flushed or ran like the Roadrunner into the thick stuff.

I've come across 1 or two skittish grouse in a day, but not all of them!

Tomorrow is another day. Great to be out regardless.
Where'd you go? I've been to a few of my fave spots around Calgary and got nothing this year
Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1992 View Post
Where'd you go? I've been to a few of my fave spots around Calgary and got nothing this year
Trunk Road...90 mins-ish north of Calgary.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 PM

We went out today and got a limit in less than an hour. Spotted the first group of 3 and got them all. Then went for a nice walk and spotted 3 more .... We got 2 more and let the one go until the next time. I was out with my buddy who came along to see what is all about - hunting. We then stopped for lunch in a woods and while eating there were at least 4 more birds just walking around us!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, but why does someone have to shoot over 60 grouse in a season. Why not go out and catch a limit of perch every weekend all summer long, or shoot a deer for every possible tag that is available?
Until they are all gone people won't rest. Maybe they think it makes them better hunters. Management would be great so you can shoot some next year.