Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 AM

Yes. He got charged an extra 30 and didn't have to worry about where to dump an antelope carcass.
I've already wasted $30 of my time reading this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Again, the issue isn't that any more than 90 isn't a good deal or a fair price, it's that the vendor quoted 90 but then charged 125. That's the issue. Do you understand?
Did the customer even get a quote from the vendor... it sounds like the hunter dropped the animal off and then the hunter told the customer that the butcher charges $90 fee on antelope. Then customer walks in to the butchershop for the first time when it is all done and then finds out that there are fees he didnt realize are associated to running a butchershop. The same butchershop that is providing a rare service to a small portion of customers. A butchershop has to get special inspectors and conduct extra measures just to be able to butcher wild game compared to commercial meat.... so when a butcher decides to support hunters with processing wild meat, that butcher business is a rare commodity which should be given gratitude for their above average support of hunters.

I bet that on their wall or menu or website the full list of processing fees are listed in full. Ive never seen a shop that didnt have all their fees listed for people to know what they are getting into.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Did the customer even get a quote from the vendor... it sounds like the hunter dropped the animal off and then the hunter told the customer that the butcher charges $90 fee on antelope. Then customer walks in to the butchershop for the first time when it is all done and then finds out that there are fees he didnt realize are associated to running a butchershop. The same butchershop that is providing a rare service to a small portion of customers. A butchershop has to get special inspectors and conduct extra measures just to be able to butcher wild game compared to commercial meat.... so when a butcher decides to support hunters with processing wild meat, that butcher business is a rare commodity which should be given gratitude for their above average support of hunters.

I bet that on their wall or menu or website the full list of processing fees are listed in full. Ive never seen a shop that didnt have all their fees listed for people to know what they are getting into.
Ahhh, yes all bow to the butcher who takes wild meat in support of the hunter...good lord. They should also charge a fifteen dollar per animal fee for halo polish.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, yes all bow to the butcher who takes wild meat in support of the hunter...good lord. They should also charge a fifteen dollar per animal fee for halo polish.
They can charge whatever people will pay... or after comments like yours they could completely stop helping people process their wild game. Lets focus on if this butchershop had surprise fees or if the customer didnt take the time to see what the fees were. Im thinking the butchershop isnt surprising every person at the till or they would have an arguement with every single customer... i bet the shop lists their fees for everyone who is diligent enough to read the business deal they are asking to get into. If the poster would say which butcher this is we could all look into what the butcher advises to customers ahead of time.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you do for a living but by the way you talk is sure can't be anything important. Since you think people should work for nothing, maybe try going to work for a reduced rate for a bit just because someone thinks your not worth your wage.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
They can charge whatever people will pay... or after comments like yours they could completely stop helping people process their wild game. Lets focus on if this butchershop had surprise fees or if the customer didnt take the time to see what the fees were. Im thinking the butchershop isnt surprising every person at the till or they would have an arguement with every single customer... i bet the shop lists their fees for everyone who is diligent enough to read the business deal they are asking to get into. If the poster would say which butcher this is we could all look into what the butcher advises to customers ahead of time.
I was trying to get you to focus on the surprise at the till, then you came in with the story of the butcher doing things out of the goodness of his heart in between reading to blind kids and helping nuns across the street. You can bet the shop does what ever you like, but the OP states that the rate quoted was 90 and the amount charged was 125, based on that, the bill should be 90. If you want to attack the OP about being full of crap, go ahead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Not sure what you do for a living but by the way you talk is sure can't be anything important. Since you think people should work for nothing, maybe try going to work for a reduced rate for a bit just because someone thinks your not worth your wage.
And yet here we have another AO member short on reading comprehension....this isn't about what he is or isn't worth while he butchers, its about quoting one price but charging another. NOT about working for a reduced rate. NOT about working for nothing. NOT about thinking someone is worth less of a wage.

In addition, if I am worth my wage or not doesn't matter, but when I tell someone what I will charge them, that's what I charge them. Get it.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM

You are not the OP and cant confirm exact details of the circumstance... the way i read it is that the purchaser didnt read any menu or services/fees list for homself and that he only had the info from the hunter that the rate is $90 cut and wrapped, and that the hunter upon dropping off the meat after the kill, told the butcher what he knew the purchaser desired for cuts. The way i read it is that the purchaser had no contact or attendance with the butchershop until he was told where to go to pick it up and pay. So we are back to the point of what is this butchershop and let us get some real info about what is listed as services and fees associated. If it doesnt say anywhere in the shop, menu or website that there will be a carcass disposal fee then i agree that it is weird to be added on in the end. I have shopped around comparing rates. Some shops state that disposal fee is going to be added and some shops do not require a disposal fee as it is worked into the base price. Every shop is different. But ive not had any jobs where a hidden fee was applied that wasnt before listed on the deal.

Game of telephone where important info is not passed along, and the unexpected surprise at the till leads to disappointment... unless it is in fact not listed anywhere and this is a weird butchershop, then it is wrong to add at the till for fees not advised.

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-23-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:47 PM

Yup, the butcher should have said or at least have a signage about the dispossal fee somewhere that is noticeable. Bad on him BUTTTTTT--every day we are faced with fees at the till that are a surprise. Battery core charges, 'most' people know this but not all, pop deposit fees and eco fees on oil and oil filters. I don't know about Alberta but in Saskatchewan the disposal fee for wild game was mandatory a few years ago because of CWD. The prossesing plants were not allowed to mix wild game with cow parts for rendering into other animal feeds. I have never seen a butcher shop with a sign stating there will be a 25 or 30 dollar dispossal fee--big deal. I have never seen a sign stating eco fees on oil " at the point of sale " but I guess for guys like cory there should be. Some of the comments on this topic are down right foolish "whatever the butcher charges is too much" "we should get down and polish the halo" I would hazard a guess that some of the biggest comlainers have NEVER cut up anything but a t-bone steak on thier plate from Safeway. No clue. I would say Cory-- wild guess but you have never worked in a customer oriented field Everything has to be in black and white for some.
As for the op's original question, I would say that 75.00 is pretty good for a whole antelope and 2.00 a pound is cheap for sausage. but the 25.00 charge "should" have been mentioned or a sign up but that is NOT HIS FEE, thats to get rid of YOUR big game remains, just as a core charge on a battery is not Canadian Tires fee.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Gone Hunting

"I was trying to get you to focus on the surprise at the till, then you came in with the story of the butcher doing things out of the goodness of his heart in between reading to blind kids and helping nuns across the street. "

Holy smokes, you make the guy sound like an off duty cop.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-23-2016, 04:08 PM

"Holy smokes, you make the guy sound like an off duty cop".

I resent that remark

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 PM

What I get from the OP was the hunter dropped it off and someone else picked it up. It sounds like the biggest issue is the lack of communication between the actual buyer and the butcher. Sounds like the hunter was the one who didn't communicate the price properly.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. Thanks for keeping sight of the issue.

To clarify the recipient of the carcass spoke directly to the butcher and was told 90 dollars by the butcher himself. The recipient was not told of the extra fees until the meat was ready for pick up. The hunters part in all of this was only his generosity.

The problem was that all fees were not disclosed at the time of the delivery of the carcass..

I, personally, am supportive of a butcher making a living. I wouldn't have a problem paying for that service at the price that is agreed to. And for that service I would hold the butcher to a high standard.

The lesson in all of this is learn how to process and cut up your own carcasses if possible. Hunting doesn't have to be so expensive. Knowing how to handle your animals from hoof to plate should be part of the whole hunting experience.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 AM

What butcher is it. If he is adding unlisted fees without warning at the till it would be a good heads up for everyone to be aware of what to expect at his till.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:06 PM

As a follow up... the antelope ended up costing the recipient 125 dollars and he recieved 14 lbs. hamburger, 4 packs of loin, 4 roasts for a total of 32 pounds.

So the donated antelope ended up costing the fellow 3.90 a pound to grind 14 lbs. and cut and wrap.

The cost of butchering defeated the whole reason for the donation which was to help a fellow out.

All I know is that this fellow will never ever agree to use butcher again.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Thats typical butcher prices. Almost all animals are charged a rate per hang weight, with a minimum cost ($100) if the animal is too small. Get a bigger animal if you want more value in the cutting price. The butcher is doing near the same amount of cuts on big or small, so that his price of doing the job. If that price is too much, then learn to do it yourself or dont eat meat.

You still havent said what butcher this is.... im starting to think its being avoided due to that the full fee list is likely stated prior to any orders being made, and the 'surprise' $30 disposal fee was never a surprise. But now thats its way past dealt with it doesnt really matter what butchers name you say, just to prove your anonomous position you could easily find any old butcher who doesnt list the fee.

Guess it isnt good enough that the organic freerange antelope steaks and ground was still cheaper than safeway feedlot ground beef. Darn butcher

Last edited by Nyksta; 10-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM

Things like bone disposal fee or skinning fee or vacuum wrap fees should be mentioned up front but the price is reasonable. Sounds like someone assumed you knew about it.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Simple miscommunication, mostly between hunter and recipient, but partly by the butcher who might have been clearer about the fee.

Both butcher and recipient's perspectives are valid, just coming at it from diff points of view. Sucks. You just take it or work something out. Move on.

The name-calling and insulting because of reading comprehension here... jeez!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM

If I was quoted $90 for anything and it was more to to unmentioned fees I would be choked too.

If I get a price for tires to me installed on my truck for $1000 I would not be happy if I showed up and had a $25 enviro fee per tire added on.

Hidden fees are bogus and should be disclosed when asked how much something will cost!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM

So now he's even more mad because there's not much meat on an antelope?

Just wait until he realizes he doesn't even like antelope.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Just wait until he realizes he doesn't even like antelope.
Ha!