Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

So about 5pm QK and Molly were back at the lake. We spent a bit of time recovering in the shade, swimming and building a game plan.

We were trying to figure out what ridge we'd set up on to glass for the rest of the evening. We decided to hit the ridge to the northwest of us and cook up a snack.
We got over there and found some cover in some spruce trees. QK asked "I thought you were going to cook up that meal". I told him "I'm waiting a bit in case we have to make a play". He replied with "good idea... if we were cooking, then the goat alarm would go off".

So after half an hour I busted out the stove and the hi mountain Cajun beans and rice. started to cook it up. As I was cooking we were both glassing the ridges. I was watching where we were the day before and had seen goats. Then for some reason I looked over to my left and with my naked eye I spotted a goat on a bluff with my naked eye. Only 500ish yards out. We focused the spotter and binos on it. It was looking behind itself. We were sure it was a nanny looking for it's kid. Sure enough it looked right at us. Busted! It went back over the ridge.

This is where the goat was
Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM

We waited for 45 minutes or so to see if the goat would show itself again. We decided that if there was a billy to come out, we should move down one more ridge to close some distance. So we packed up and relocated one more time.

We finished off our small meal and then QK said he spotted a goat.

He spotted a kid on the far side of the rock with the black vein.

We watched it for a bit, until it disappeared. Goats were definitely up and moving. Being our last night, we decided to make a stalk on it for fun. That's not to say we didn't have hopes of spotting a billy. We worked our way along a cliff face, all while keeping our eye on the draws and cliffs in case something was watching us. Just as we came around the corner of where we had spotted the kid, we spotted 2 nannies and 2 kids bailing up the hill at about 150 yards. We watched them for a bit.

We then started losing light and made our way back to camp. We got up this morning and made our way out. No goats hit the dirt but being the first time in the area and seeing the goats we did, I'd consider it a success.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Wow!! Incredible pictures and country. Great thread you created.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:53 PM

AUGUST 13

soooo... I've realized I don't really truly understand mountain goat habits. I know the basics... I'm sure. But I've decided to start taking notes/observations.

Today on my way home from work, I stopped to check out the one spot I've been keeping an eye on.

Last night there was some pretty heavy rain.
Today it was 19 degrees and overcast.
Pulled in at 6pm and spotted a goat at 6:05.
Goat disappeared back into some trees, out of view at 6:10 pm.
6:25 pm a light fog moved in and I continued on home.

I also made a rough sketch of the terrain and where I spotted the goat.

So I'll continue doing this and probably end up learning something... ????
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
isnt that area LEH?
I have been told that it was not LEH.
The exact area is from the ocean east up the Nass River system.
Would you terribly mind looking that up for me?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM

AUGUST 18

Plan for the weekend was to cut trail to the base of the mountain. So I set my alarm for 5am in hopes of getting the trail marked out and maybe sneak in an afternoon hunt. But I ended up passing out again. Was up at 8 and into my spot at 11. When I pulled in to where I wanted to camp, I was surprised there was someone camped there.

Went to make small talk with them. Next thing I know I'm shooting the **** with them for a few hours while watching 4 goats on the mountain top. 3pm rolled around and I finally set off cutting/marking trail. It was pretty easy going for the most part. But there was some serious blow down, alders and devils club to clear out. When I started to come up a meadow, the grasses were 5 feet high. So I had to basically swim through the. I'll have to take a machete up next time.

I reached the base of the mountain at 6:30. Had a different view of the terrain and a better idea for a plan of attack when things get serious.

Fog was rolling in pretty good so I headed back down

Only took half hour back to the bottom... it was a lot easier when you're not trying to clear trail. Went and talked with the campers until 11 last night and headed home.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM

AUGUST 20

Stopped into the spot today after work. There were 4 goats in the area. One was still on the same rock from saturday. One I'm sure is a nanny (sans kid). It's slender in the shoulders and has a big ol' goato booty. There's one in the group that is stockier and noticably bigger(think I mentioned this in an earlier post. But I'm on my crackberry at the moment) than the others. Couldn't really make out the black horns against a dark grey rock wall. But I've decided that he's going to be the one, and if the weather is half decent this weekend, I'll make a solid attempt at him.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM

AUGUST 24

So I decided to go for a weekend warrior trip. Forecast wasn't looking pretty. But I figured I'd giv'r anyways.

Pulled in at 6:30pm on Friday... set up the spotting scope to see what was moving. Only problem was, the fog was nice and thick.

So I mixed up some sleep aid and burned through some reading material

The fog did have some short breaks in it. so when it did clear I glassed what I could. First couple of breaks I couldn't pick anything out.
Then finally a little break... I picked out a goat on the skyline. It went over the back side of the ridge while 7 others came over. Then the
fog came in again. And once again it broke again for a short period. In the fifteen minutes that it took for the fog to break, thy had made
their way down quite a ways.

There was one kid, one juvenile, two nannies and one I couldn't determine what it was
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM

I figured I'd set up camp before it rains. Sure enough... it started to pour

Cooked up something to eat

and retired to the sleeping bag. It rained all night long. It didn't really bother me because if it poured all night,
hopefully it'd clear out the fog. Alarm went off at 5:30am. Poked my head out and it was still pouring out and no visible light yet. Alarm
went off again at 6. It was still raining and the fog was still thick. 7am I poked my head out and I could see the mountain! I was up and
dressed. Had a power bar and b vitamin for breakfast while I set up the spotting scope. I could only find one goat and couldn't determine
what exactly it was.

So I geared up and made my ascent. Made it through my trail I cut in short order. I was now at the bottom of the hill. So I started my
way up. From below I knew it was going to be steep and knarly. I also though I had a route picked out... that constantly changed as I went.
I had to cross a creek. Being early in the day I didn't really want to compromise my dry feet early on. So I carefully made my way across and
made it with little problems. As I made my way up out of the creek valley, I slipped on the wet grass and ended up smashing my ankle.

A few years ago I rolled my ankle playing ball hockey. Took a week off, thinking it was going to be all good and went out to play again. Rolled
it once again. It gets sore every once in awhile, but when I was out on August long, I had rolled it again.

So this time I had it all doctored up. So it was a little tender, but not too bad. So I kept on kepting on.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM

It was basically all spiderman work. Scalling rock walls and using what shrubs I could to haul myself up. Was taking it one step at a time.
Had a few breaks that were a little better for climbing.

Started to get into some thick shrubs. Also started to find some piles of deer pooh. Deer pooh also meant some low game trails.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM

I was at a bit of a dead end... but I ended up finding my way through some thick ****. I was finally 3/4s of the way to the ridge I wanted
to get over. Then I ran into my worst fear... the slot I wanted to go up was impassable.

I tried going up the green patch. It was about 30 feet up the ledge.

I was using the shrubs to haul myself up. I made it about 3 feet off the ground and lost my footing.
I smashed my knee and ended up sliding down. Flexed my knee a little and walked around... knee
seemed alright. So I went again... once again I didn't make it that far up and lost my footing again.
Once again banged my knee and slid down. This time as I slid down I bumped my elbow. What was
worse is I bumped my right nut. Not hard... but you know that little flick that hurts more than a kick.
It was one of those.

So I retreated. Took a seat and caught my wind. Had a cliff bar and analyzed the wall I hit. To the left
was shear rock wall. I tried to the right. But if I did slip once again... it was a lot longer fall than 30 feet.

Figuring a goat wasn't worth it that bad, I made my way back down the mountain with little excitement.
Just had to use shrubs to repel down some spots. Now it's back to the drawing board on trying to get
to that spot.

I had to set up the spotting scope one more time. Sure enough there was this guy hanging out quite
a ways away from the other goats.

I've also since upgraded my pack to the eberlestock dragonfly J107. What a dream to pack around. Only thing is it pinches the side boob
a little when swinging a machete or hatchet. Nothing too bad though
Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM

SEPTEMBER 2

Didn't have a chance to get out really hunting this weekend. But managed a day to get out and check another spot out.

The trailhead was suppose to be in a certain area and marked by orange flag tape. Pulled in and couldn't find the trailhead. I started to make like safe sex and pull out. On my way out I spotted some orange flagging tape. So I started my way in through an overgrown trail.

The trail was marked pretty well and ended up opening up pretty well. However the trail went up and hooked in the opposite direction I wanted to go.

I realised then that I wasn't on the trail. So I started up the ridge. The ridge took me to a base of a small bluff. I knew there was a creek to the north of me, so I went along the base of the bluff. I ended up cutting across the trail I wanted.

I could tell the trail use to be marked... however most of the flagging tape has fallen off. The trail was easy going and pretty obvious. About two thirds of the way to the base of the mountain, it started to get a little more technical.

There was a bunch of blow downs. Talking to some campers, they figure the blow downs happened over the winter or in the spring. Their friends had hiked the same trail last summer and hadn't come across blown down trees.

So it was under, over, around, across and through the blow downs. I wasn't exactly sure where the trail came out on the other end. But I did end up picking it up again. On the far side the trail wasn't marked and the blueberries had grown over pretty thick.

So I ended up stocking the gullet with berries.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 PM

The trail was a little slow going after the blow downs because of the trail not being marked very well and being grown over.

I made it to the base of the mountain just before dark.

On my way out, I kept losing the trail. I ended losing the trail for good as I was making my way through the blueberry patch. I ended up with the choice of doubling all the way back to the base of the mountain and trying the trail again. Second choice was following a knarly gully down to the creek and following that out... but past experience told me that following creeks aren't the best idea. Third option was going over the top and down some open timber on the other side of the mountain.

So up and over I went. Made my way down the mountain. Ended up making my way out and was a whopping 3 minutes walk back to the vehicle.

Ended up spotting some nannies, kids and an immature goat(small face and horns shorter than it's ears). I also spotted a small red fox with some nice looking guard hairs.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM

SEPTEMBER 17

Well the weather has cooled down and it's raining. On my way home from work today, had to take a peek at my usual spot. Last day before the serious trip.
Only had my binos with me, but I was able to pick out 9 goats. I think this cool weather has brought them back over from the north side of the mountain.

Friday my buddy will be in Prince George and suppose to arrive here in Terrace around 1pm this coming Saturday. He has to head back earlier than we had planned(something about his mom's b-day and hard labour). But we should get a solid 5 days of hunting in(as long as we don't get fogged in), but hope it only takes a couple days to get our goats.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM

SEPTEMBER 20
Buddy should be arriving at my place around 1pm tomorrow. He hasn't had a chance to sight in his rifle properly, so he'll be packing Selena(my 30_06).

He's been doing quite a bit of hiking in the last 2 years(spent most part of a year backpacking in New Zeland). Though he's done his fair share of hiking, he hasn't been on a hunting expedition yet. Last night we were on the phone discussing gear... there was a lot of "you don't need that" coming from me. This is his first real hunting expedition, and if I can get him onto a goat it'll be his second animal he's taken.

Last weekend he was hiking the Sugar Bowl near Prince George. Had a major allergic reaction to nuts (so no broke back mountain stuff going on during this trip). According to doctors he's lucky to be alive... so an eppy pen will be in his kit. I promised his mother that I'd bring him home alive... but no promises on one piece.

The weather isn't suppose to clear up until Wednesday... but it's off of the Skeena River... so who the eff really knows. We're expecting a lot of wet ****.

Knocking down a couple bone beer and going over gear... so hopefully next week there'll be some dead goats on this thread.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 PM

SEPTEMBER 27

My buddy (we'll call him Tranquilizer...) Arrived at 1pm last Saturday

We quickly went over our gear. Then we bailed. Like I said earlier, this is Tranquilizer's first hunting expedition but not his first time in the mountains. So I took him to a river that is our western boundary. We took a look at some mud flats to see if there were any fresh bear tracks. There wasn't. So we headed back east a little ways to my spot I check out for goats. We pull in and get our binos out to scan the ridge top.

Tranquilizer asked "so how do you spot goats?".

They way I've learned to do it is to, look where I think they should be then somewhere completely different. But Tranquilizer hasn't really done any reading about goat behavior and habitat that I know of. But sure enough right away he spotted goats. Right on! Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

We spotted 3 goats and then took off to where we were going to park and hike in. By this time it was 3ish. My though was it was only an hour to a waterfall, then it's probably only another hour/hour and half up to where I wanted to camp.

So off we go.

Tranquilizer liked the tree to my right in the picture

Then I kind of fell in love with it as well
Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 PM

We ended up making it up to the falls in fairly short order.

However with the fog moving in and it still being later in the day, we would be fighting darkness a little going up. From the base of the falls in the picture above, I hadn't had a chance to get past. So we decided to go up the north side of the falls as there was somewhat of a trail. But first we had to cross a creek.

And this is where I dubbed the trip "The Prune Toe Expedition"

She was a little cold

Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM

After the creek crossing, we were basically blazing our own trail. But kept coming upon somewhat of a trail and flagging tape.

The trail was a lot of bushwhacking and straight up the hillside. The hour/hour and a half trip up the waterfall was much longer than anticipated. Darkness was setting in. Along with that came the cold and we were already soaking wet. So we set up camp for the night.

So we camped in the middle of the trail on a stupid hill. The pictures don't do it justice, but once in the tent it was rather comfortable.

Woke up in the morning and continued the climb. As we made the climb we decided we weren't coming down this way. A fellow member told me a way to go up the south side.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 PM

So after 2 hours of hiking, we finally made it to where we wanted to camp

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM

So we set up camp and were getting hungry

Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM

So I set up my spotting scope and was putting the finishing touches on camp. Tranquilizer was under the siltarp... finished his hot kimchi he started glassing. Right away I hear "goats".

I grab my binos and start scanning. Tranquilizer was trying to explain to me where he saw them. Turns out I was looking closer than what he was trying to explain. It was only early afternoon. I told him we were going to make a play. Only thing I knew was they were on the south side of the lake. We crossed the out flow creek and worked along the rocky lakeshore. We went through a couple draws. Tranquilizer thought we were getting close. So I stripped off my pack(he didn't have his). As I was doing so I noticed goats on the north side of the lake. We kept note of them and kept moving as we were getting closer to our other goats.

We peeked over the first ridge... nothing. Tranquilizer figured they'd be over the next, then the next, then the next. About the 6th ridge Tranquilizer peeked over... nothing! As I slowly went to go over the ridge I looked around a protrusion, I noticed a goat on the bluff. I turned to Tranquilizer, "goat" I whispered. I could see he started to get a little excited. He said there should be one lower as well.

So I crept over the ridge, sure enough there's another. Glassed them a bit closer. The goat on the bluff turned into two goats. Nanny and a kid. So now the focus turns to the lower/closer goat. 212 yards in the range finder. The goat wouldn't turn it's head, so I couldn't get a positive sexual ID on it. Finally it turned and was an obvious nanny

We watched them head up a gully. So we watched the goats on the north side of the lake for a bit. That night we seen a total of 12 goats. There was one above a bunch of brush all alone from what we could see. I figured it was a billy. We wouldn't have time to make a play on any of them. But we figured we would fully check out the area to see what else was happening. We figured a plan may be to move camp to the west end of the lake and then make a trip up the glacier and up to the saddle so we could look at 4 different bowls.

As we were scouting the area, we noticed grizzly and goat **** everywhere.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM

This is where we were thinking of going to check the other bowls... didn't happen

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM

By now we were soaked and it was starting to get dark. So we went back and grabbed my pack and made our way back to camp. We dried off had some dinner and hit the sack.

In the morning, it was clear to the east and it was cold. To the west it was dark and cloudy.

We got up and put our wet gear on. We tried to circle the lake on the north side. It was nothing but brush and slow going. We decided that the south side of the lake would be better. So back we go. As we're about to cross the outflow creek, I catch something out of the corner of my eye. Binos come up. And up behind camp, there was a goat standing there. Kept scanning and sure enough there was a nanny and kid laying to the west of it. But the other I was unsure of.

So we decided to make a play. We worked our way up some bear trails. Finally we were 206 yards. I told Tranquilizer to use his pack as a rest on the rock and don't shoot until I say so. I set up the spotting scope and got behind it. Started watching. I was still unsure of a billy or nanny. after half hour, it turned and took a step. Obvious tits on it.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM

So we decided to hit up our old plan of circling the lake and trying the goats on the north side. By this time it started to get colder and was raining. We set up the spotting scope, started glassing and boiled up some water and made a hot emergen-c. I wasn't really paying attention. We were soaked, cold and sleet was coming down hard. Tranquilizer was asking about what the weather would do to the goats behavior. I told him they'd just be doing their thing. So I turned around and right away spotted a goat. Then another and another. Lots of nannies paired up with kids. Then two more came off a ledge. Another nanny and kid.

But hold the phone!

I spotted another lone goat up on a bluff. Got behind the spotting scope. I was watching it the best I could through the sleet and fog. All of a sudden I got the albino kiwis in the eyes. BINGO!

I looked at Tranquilizer.

"He's a billy. But he's young, still has a short dished face. He's probably only 7 or 8 inches in the horns" I said.

His reply was "I came for the adventure. We can make a play on him. If we get him great, I just want the meat if possible. I'm over being soaked and cold, but if I go home empty handed I'm still happy".

Good enough for me. We studied the terrain and where he was to figure out a game plan. As we were making our approach the nannies and kids started to make their way up higher. The billy was now with another goat and crossed to the far side of a waterfall we were working up.

We crossed the waterfall and made a desperation play of going straight up from below them. We got behind a big rock and peeked around it, up to the goats. I tried to range them but I ended up breaking it between making a hot drink and climbing. I was looking at them trying to figure out our next move. The goats were very aware of us.

Then I hear "I can make that shot".

I looked at Tranquilizer and then back to the goats.

"What the hell" I thought. "ok move those rocks, put your pack on the big one for a rest" as I was setting up the spotting scope on another rock.

Tranquilizer was getting a little excited "I want to take the shot before they move".

"They feel safe, we have time" I told him. "line up the shot but don't touch the trigger until I tell you".

So he unstrapped Selena my weatherby vanguard 30_06 from his pack and lined up. I was watching the goats through the scope. Sleet was still coming down hard and trying to watch them was tough. Trying to see them through the sleet and my body heat kept fogging up the eyepiece on my spotter.

Finally I got the green light from the goats.

"Ok, DON'T touch the trigger yet. Not until I tell you. Turn the safety off. You're going to take the goat on the left"

I looked over at tranquilizer and he gave me the nod. "Settle in and get steady" I told him. The goat was standing face on looking right down at us. "Put the crosshairs right on his nose, when he looks at the other goat let one fly".

All of a sudden the goat turned his head and Selena sang. A 165 grain GMX was cruising through the air.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

This is the most extensive story I have ever read on here.

Well done!

Jamie
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM

And then!!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 PM

perfect timing!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Through the spotter I seen the goat drop his right shoulder. I heard Tranquilizer cycle the action.

"Crosshairs on the left shoulder and hit him again" I said. I didn't hear it but felt the concussion of the rifle's sweet Georgia brown.

Through the spotter I could see a solid impact on the goat. "Hold on! Just watch him" I said.

The goat staggered, then reared up and jumped off the bluff. It only went down one ledge.

"He's down!" High fives!

So now we got to get to him...

We pick our way up through the alders and brush. Then it was out onto the granite waterfall, up 5 feet then out onto the ledge. Still not 100% sure how we got out onto the ledge. But we managed. Got some pictures of the rookie hunters second ever big game animal.

We measured him at 8" long and I counted 4 annuli (I'm no expert at that part, but I figure he was 3 or 4)

So I started in on the caping process. It was tricky on the ledge for sure. Then magical words came from Tranquilizer's mouth.

"I'm here for the meat. I just want a euro mount and a throw like they do with sheep"

Awesome, I took the head off and kicked the rest off the ledge. put the skull in the pack and climbed down to the carcass. We skinned and deboned it and tossed everything into game bags. We had to make some quick work of it.

The first shot was in the shoulder and we recovered the bullet.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Great post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 PM

That's awesome