Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Default Have you been stopped by F & W

I got to thinking, I have never been stopped by F & W ....

If you get stopped in the field or at a checkstop what do they ask you for:

Obvious is:

Hunting License
PAL/POL

Anything else ...

Unloaded gun if in truck
Drivers license
Liquor in truck (opened in front)
Proper animal tagged

Nothing on registration I assume?

Just curious,

Northern
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM

been stopped a few times over the years. always had good dealings with them... this thread will get interesting fast!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 AM

License's and firearm check are the usual...if you have an animal in possesion or blood in your box from a recent kill there will be more questions
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Anything questionable out of their relm that they observe and they will call the RCMP who will join the party shortly....
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM

F&W won't ask you for your PAL / POL, but the RCMP might.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input.

Not meaning to begin a F & W bashing thread - just curious.

I always have my walled (drives lic and POL) with me and tags
as well.

Other than that - nothing ... however if there is an animal
in the back its always appropriately tagged.

Just curious what others have been asked to provide when checked.

northern
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM

They checked the firearms FIRST. Then they saw the deer so checked it very well. Checked the tag on it and put CHECKED the head then checked the other tags, wildlife certificate and other licences.

Didn't ask for driving license or truck registration or even PAL.

They were concerned that I had a moose draw tag with me for a different zone and they asked me if I am hunting moose here? I said no I am not moose hunting here, it is for a different zone and the reason I have it with me is because I keep all my tags at same place together with me. They didn't look very happy wih my answer but they were ok.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
They checked the firearms FIRST. Then they saw the deer so checked it very well. Checked the tag on it and put CHECKED the head then checked the other tags, wildlife certificate and other licences.

Didn't ask for driving license or truck registration or even PAL.

They were concerned that I had a moose draw tag with me for a different zone and they asked me if I am hunting moose here? I said no I am not moose hunting here, it is for a different zone and the reason I have it with me is because I keep all my tags at same place together with me. They didn't look very happy wih my answer but they were ok.
I am surprised that they seemed concerned that you were hunting in another zone from your draw. I have been North of Calgary a bunch of times this year rifle hunting for deer and I have a draw in 312 near Calgary for antlerless moose. I wonder if they would give me hell for that. I also keep all my tags in my hunting pack so that I am never without them.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM

I havent been stopped in 7 years. Heck, I haven't even heard of anyone getting . stopped up here in years.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Default F&W

Ran into an officer in the field out in 328 Saturday, he asked us if we had any luck, we replied yes that we had gotten a WT doe in 330 earlier in the morning and 3 roughed grouse. His ears perked up, he then asked if it was in the truck box, we said yes. He said is it tagged properly, we said yes. He said good enough, didn't even take his seat belt off. Great guy, just doing his job in my opinion. He asked if we seen a suspect vehicle that had shot and left a mule deer buck earlier in the morning. We said no. He was on his way. Passed him on our way out at night again with some guys pulled over and writing them out tickets.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM

I've been unlucky with the fish cops so far, I've been pulled over more then several times. %90 of the time, they check if your rifle is loaded, ask to see your tags and if you've had any luck yet, then send you on your way. The other %10 cut you off in an intersection, come screaming out of the truck and haul your drivers door open before your truck is even in park demanding to search the vehicle. They then treat every (unopened) adult beverage like it's a grenade thats about to explode. But that was one time, and the dude clearly had a stick where the sun don't shine.
Really, they just have a job do to and if you're curteous, and following hunter etiquette, they won't bug you about seat belts, and lights not turned on at dusk and bs like that. They can be a pretty good source of info actually, about where game has been that they've seen and where other hunters might be. I don't mind being pulled over.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM

Been stopped 3 times this year and seen F&W roaming around constantly

Guns were checked all 3 times, tags were checked all 3 times

The first CO was quite happy with our rough grouse and said he couldn't wait to get him an his son out on his next days off for some bird hunting

The next CO a week later in a different WMU asked a bunch of questions as to why we had a 30-06 and a .22 if we were only bird hunting that night, we explaind our deal with the farmers in the area that we shoot coyotes/wolves on sight in return for hunting privilege and he was quite understanding about that.

3rd one checked the tags we had and the rifles then asked a few questions but was preoccupied with 2 other CO's who were setting up a road block... No questions about the pool of blood and hair in the back of my truck... Funny... After I drove away I was 200 yards down the road and a dozen mulies were feeding in a little area I keep an eye on and I had a tag in my pack for one... I just kept on driving.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 PM

I got stopped ...sort of . I was getting coffee at a gas station and a FW truck pulled up to refuel. He looked at me. Seen the animal in the back in game bags... seen the game cart and me in full camo. So i put my coffees into the truck, got my wallet out.. and walked over to him and he met me halfway. I thought it would be kind of dumb to drive away even though he was fueling. Gave him my treaty card, and RPAL accidentally as it was behind the status card. Went back in his truck... recorded my status info... asked if gun was unloaded and i said yes. Looked at my ruffies and such and said for me to have a nice day. It was al good.

I think me being friendly and that i was cooperating , and the fact i walked over to him and he didnt have to drive me down and pull me over helped.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Half Dozen times in my life!.....I like my whitetail hunting spot up north because the road is constantly patrolled by F&W....keeps the idiots in line! Dad saw them bust two guys tresspassing last fall ....cherries and berries!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Been stopped a few times hunting and on the water, once at a check stop once out quading in May.
Check stop I had harvested a Bull Elk that was whole (gutted) tagged and had plenty of points. Usually they check that your firearm is unloaded if in a vehicle or on a quad. On a boat they check the length of your catch quantity ...barbless safety equipment. On the quad they check registration and insurance.
Most of the time its checking for licenses and tags....never been asked for a PAL .
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM

I will get stopped by Fish & Wildlife usually once a season. Typically at game checks. These are predictable and you will have fair warning to hide the beer and bald eagle's.

They will almost always check your firearm if you have it in plain sight. Cased and under your seat makes the legality of making you show it to them questionable.

You will be asked to show tags if you answer the question "Have you been hunting today" with the answer "yes". Keep in mind you are under no obligation to answer any questions they have - but if you lie when asked those questions you are breaking the law!

If you have game in plain sight they will inspect it. In the case of deer often at these game checks they will sometimes ask if they can pull teeth from it and take some measurements for the wildlife biologists.

If you have waterfowl with you they might throw the metal detector to it or ask to see some steel shot boxes.

Be respectful - but most definitely know your rights. The purposes of these checks isn't a meet & greet with hunters. It's to catch you in a contradiction, investigate further and hopefully write you a summons.

I have never been asked by either the RCMP or Fish & Wildlife for my PAL. (Conjecture warning) I am pretty sure only a firearms officer can demand it from you and you have no legal responsibility to provide it upon demand to anybody but a firearms officer. (Maybe somebody can correct me if I am wrong)
Old 10-28-2013, 01:02 PM

You mean none of you have had to bend over and cough??

....she said she was a F&W officer....

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-28-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Checks

I seem to get checked quite often, whether hunting, trapping or fishing. Never had an issue before, recieved one ticket I deserved when I was younger. Always ask for the usual, and check the guns, tags, etc. As for PAL, never been asked, had RCMP get me for speeding a few years back with 2 rifles sitting on the passanger seat...he asked if I was having any luck hunting this year, and that was that. Be cooperative with the CO's, and they will return that good nature in the future.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You mean none of you have had to bend over and cough??

....she said she was a F&W officer....

LC
Looking at her pants, I would say she was looking for moose knuckle.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Be respectful - but most definitely know your rights. The purposes of these checks isn't a meet & greet with hunters. It's to catch you in a contradiction, investigate further and hopefully write you a summons if they find you were poaching, or otherwise acting illegally.
There, I fixed it for you.

I've never been stopped while hunting, but while fishing I have been flagged down and asked to bring my canoe to shore so they could check my barbs and measure my walleye.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM

I got stopped yesterday well in the field. They asked for drivers license and hunti g tags checked all my guns/truck. Ask where we were hunting who gave us permission. After all was said and done they gave us a few cards and told us to call them on there cell phones if we seen any poaching going on in the area.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Default Purpose of check stops??

I would think the purpose of check stops is not so much to "find you in contradiction" but more so to display a law enforcement presence?
That said,speaking of F&W presence,its quite pathetic and thinly stretched in my experience,not just in AB,but coast to coast.Actually AB has more F&W boots (wheels)on the ground then any other province Ive hunted/fished/lived(more $$ in provincial budget)......but i would guess i could count the number of times Ive been checked over near 40 years outdoors without taking my socks off.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM

I have been stopped a couple times, was pretty brief. Check the deer for tags one time and the other talked to my Dad about his Toyota truck and mileage he was getting. They have all been pleasant and quick.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM

I was pulled over on friday. Asked if all guns were locked and cased. Was short a case for the 303 and he checked the lock. Asked what we were out for. checked Tags. Did not even check the box (i have a cover). Was very smooth and the guy was great... oddly enough when i presented my PAL the officer did not even care to look.

Other times it was out of season and they were checking the types of firearms being used in the area i go shooting.

As always they are usually really friendly if you are the same...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
I was pulled over on friday. Asked if all guns were locked and cased. Was short a case for the 303 and he checked the lock. Asked what we were out for. checked Tags. Did not even check the box (i have a cover). Was very smooth and the guy was great... oddly enough when i presented my PAL the officer did not even care to look.

Other times it was out of season and they were checking the types of firearms being used in the area i go shooting.

As always they are usually really friendly if you are the same...
why would he be concerned about guns being "locked and cased" ?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Unfortunately a large percentage of LEOs, especially RCMP, have no idea about our firearms laws, yet they are sent out to enforce them.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Unfortunately a large percentage of LEOs, especially RCMP, have no idea about our firearms laws, yet they are sent out to enforce them.
Probably because alot of mounties are from other provinces where the provincial hunting regs differ.For instance,in NB,firearms must be cased outside of legal hunting times(between 1/2 after sunset and 1/2hr before sunrise).When I lived there(most of my life)I and most others carried one of those soft cloth "gunsocks" because I might stay on stand until dark-thirty/legal wrap-up time,then a 45 min hike out to my truck.....if COs are waiting at your truck,and your 45min past wrap-up with un-cased rifle....busted........learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
? Maybe he was driving on a Highway Wildlife Corridor ?

"No person shall possess a weapon in these sanctuaries unless the weapon, if it is a firearm, is unloaded and either dismantled, encased, or completely enclosed by another suitable covering".
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM

I keep several copies of the legislation from the RCMP web site in the truck for just such an occasion so far I've only had to show it to the officers once, this was at the yearly check stop at the 22x(901) and highway 24 intersection a few years ago.
I was checked opening week of sharptails this year. He asked all the usual questions, I showed him the appropriate licenses then he asked if my Shotgun was locked and cased I replied with, "it's not required to transport a non-restricted firearm to and from the field would you like to see the legislation from the RCMP web site?" He told me to have a nice day I said the same and went on my way.
Its up to each and every one of us to know the law surrounding firearms... no different than knowing the hunting/fishing regulations in my opinion.

cohod
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM

I remember about 35 years ago when I was 14 we were moose hunting and a chopper came over and told us to walk north to the field. They then landed the chopper, checked us out and said have a good day.