Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Gone Hunting

sorry Lefty, posts like this bother me, so you had a local that hunts/scouts 300+ days a year show you some birds, so al is well in pheasantville?, kinda like a guy coming out here in November and saying "I shot 3 mule does before noon, lots of deer there". kinda forgets to mention that he shot a doe and twin fawns and didn't see anything else, sorry for the rant, glad you got into some birds, not everyone has....
Old 10-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Hey Guys,
You all bring up excellant points, and I hear your frustration, however don't give up on the release program. I know for a fact that your words are being read by folks that are trying to change the program for the furure, and I'm sure they will try and incorporate allot of your ideas. How you carry yourself as a Sportsman is a personal thing, no right or wrong, but if the oppurtunity exists someone is going to take it. As a group, Pheasant hunters are the smallest group of hunters in the province. If the concencus amongst ourselves is the program is flawed or unworthy... guess whats going to happen! Spread the word, talk to your fellow hunters and try and convince them of the unofficial rules of fair chase and more importantly the safty of those folks that are taking time from their own lives to release birds to allow us to have an experience that would not likey otherwise exist.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
sorry Lefty, posts like this bother me, so you had a local that hunts/scouts 300+ days a year show you some birds, so al is well in pheasantville?, kinda like a guy coming out here in November and saying "I shot 3 mule does before noon, lots of deer there". kinda forgets to mention that he shot a doe and twin fawns and didn't see anything else, sorry for the rant, glad you got into some birds, not everyone has....
Wasn't trying to ruffle feathers... Just like everything else some areas and years are better than others. Some guys are killing limits of grouse daily.... Some guys are seeing no birds at all.... No doubt some areas have issues.... And other areas are doing well.

A lot of the birds we saw and most if not all of the birds we shot were wild birds.

We didn't follow the truck around and shoot them 10 minutes after they were released.

LC
Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 PM

While I usually hunt wild birds, today I visited a release area because of my hunting partner. He is still recovering from heart bypass surgery and has pretty limited aerobic stamina. Therefore I figured some less intense cover and more level ground was called for. We went slowly, rested lots and got to watch the dog do her thing. It was a great success and 4 chickens sacrificed themselves. Three of the birds provided some good trailing opportunities for the dog before she finally pinned them down. I am very thankful for the opportunity that was provided today. It is far from perfect, but you can still have a great day if you hunt with some ethics and character
Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Saw over 40 pheasants today majority roosters....some areas are better than others. If you look you will find EM

Thanks to ISB for taking me to his ditch parrot haven.

LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
sorry Lefty, posts like this bother me, so you had a local that hunts/scouts 300+ days a year show you some birds, so al is well in pheasantville?,
nah hal....i didnt get out over 250 days this year, lol. that damn work stuff gets in the way.

you are right though, that i do tend to have a little more success than a lot of guys do because im a little more involved than most. the average hunter coming around on his own will not see what LC saw.

i had a couple of calgarians here over the weekend, and they shot some birds too. one of them killed his first ever rooster, and LC got his first today as well. i hope that i get to see the looks on a few more guys faces when they get their firsts with me in the future. pheasant hunting going forward looks to be facing a grim future, and the thought of not having days like today doesnt sit well with me. i dont have the answer, but i know paid hunting is NOT it.

even if another pheasant never gets stocked, i know my favorite areas have the habitat to support them for many years yet.....but i wonder what it may be like for my kids when they age....and my grandkids. im not optimistic.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM

HAL53,

Perhaps I spoke out of turn....as an admitted complete rookie to pheasant hunting.

When we went out we had ISB's dogs with us and we obtained permission on some known to ISB great land that very few folks can hunt.

Prior to that we had spotted some birds the night before and that morning, in quite large group of hens and roosters....

So for the time I was down things appeared to be great! But in fact that could be a very biased snippet of the reality of the situation.

Hopefully pheasant hunting in Alberta doesn't become a distant memory....I am already looking forward to doing it again!

I managed to snap a neat pic of one of the birds we got on my cell phone though

LC
Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 AM

We have had some great wild bird hunts this year. On Sunday we hunted one spot for 2 hours and got a 6 man limit -- seeing about another 70 or so birds including at least another 35-40 roosters.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 AM

^^^Great pics! The wild pheasant numbers have drastically improved around medicine hat!...lots of wild "spring" chickens this year....Im very pleased right now!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 PM

Hey Boys, Deer season opens tomorrow, that usually means allot less folks at the sites.