Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM

Default How much shrink on skulls?

Shot a smokin good tom on Dec 11 with Brent Sinclair of Porcupine Creek. Had it green scored the other night at 15 1/8. I was super happy with him even before it became a numbers game, but now I am curious if any of you guys that previously scored on cats could tell me how much shrink to expect after the compulsory sixty days?
Also, what is the difference between the boone and crockett "minimum", and the "all time" scoring?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM

Not sure about "cats" specifically but it should not shrink too much. You're gonna be close on All Time being over by 1/8th. I would keep it in a cool/dark place (like a freezer lol) and it will be close.

If your cat makes between 14 8/16's and 15 it will be in the Awards book.

If it is 15 or more it will be entered into the Awards book and the "Records of North American Big Game".

Congrats on a fantastic cat.

Brent is unbelievable eh!! If you are speaking to him please tell him Kevin from Yellowknife says Merry Christmas

Now....where's your pics??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tm
Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
... I would keep it in a cool/dark place (like a freezer lol) and it will be close...
Just so you know Tundra Monkey was joking.... at least I hope he was about the freezer.... as its against B&C rules. I wouldnt be boiling it, if anything have it bug cleaned and ask for it not to be degreased until after the drying period. It will be nip and tuck.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Yes JOKING...hence the lol.

tm
Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Even though, according to B&C rules the 60 day period doesn't start until all flesh is removed and it is air drying, it amazes me how many people think that the freezer doesn't shrink their trophy as much or more than air drying!!!
CLINT
Old 12-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
Even though, according to B&C rules the 60 day period doesn't start until all flesh is removed and it is air drying, it amazes me how many people think that the freezer doesn't shrink their trophy as much or more than air drying!!!
CLINT
I think that it is pretty obvious that it does not. Put a steak bone on the counter for 60 days and it will be in a lot different shape than the identical one put in a freezer for the same amount of time.

tm
Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 AM

I can tell you that when I took my Cougar it green scored 15 and 1/4 I actually just did not think it would go book figured my measurement was optomistic so I gave it a light boil cleaned it up and let it dry final official score 15 1/16 wish I would have did bugs but made the 27th awards and kept the all time status by a hairs breadth hope that helps.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Congratulations on the cat Jim! Saw a picture of him the other day! Looked like a real handful!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Boone and Crockett

Requires that you keep the skull under natural conditions. Deep freezes are no good technically, Or in reality as they do draw moisture out. Hence freezer burn. They do not however require you to purposefully do things to expedite the drying process though. Usually it is going to drop A 1/16th too A 1/8 of A inch seems to be the norm anyhow.

WM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Default thanks for the input

Sounds like there may be a chance he could squeek into the "all-time". He is already dropped off to go visit the bugs, but what does the degreasing step do? I didnt specify anything one way or the other.
I have never ventured into the photo routine, but if anyone would be kind enough to help me out, send me an email adress and I can send a picture by blackberry for them to post. (My computer here is dial-up. Anything with pictures is EXTREMELY painful process)
By the way, Donny Bear, I told Marco that your cat mount got so much air time on the site here, that he should be giving you a discounted rate on future work!! LOL. He certainly did a great job on it, and I had already decided to send the work there before I even pulled the trigger.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Sounds like there may be a chance he could squeek into the "all-time". He is already dropped off to go visit the bugs, but what does the degreasing step do? I didnt specify anything one way or the other.
I have never ventured into the photo routine, but if anyone would be kind enough to help me out, send me an email adress and I can send a picture by blackberry for them to post. (My computer here is dial-up. Anything with pictures is EXTREMELY painful process)
By the way, Donny Bear, I told Marco that your cat mount got so much air time on the site here, that he should be giving you a discounted rate on future work!! LOL. He certainly did a great job on it, and I had already decided to send the work there before I even pulled the trigger.
That was IMHO a good choice but I don't want the discount. I never critique the other work just know that I get what I pay for and then some so all is good. I am glad he is at the bugs I think he will make it in the all time He is a awsome, awsome cat. I know you will be very happy with the choice you made.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Degreaseing.

Most outfits boil them. And in my opinion they over do it if the teeth fall out. Then they will likely whiten in Hydrogen Peroxide. And finally they will paint to seal. I have cleaned quite A few over the years and I like the bugs as long as you remove as much meat as possible before hand. Then I take them home and finish them myself. Especially when they are close. Each to their own.

WM.