Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Heading back to Calgary for an archery elk hunt--advice?

Hi all, my name is Bernie,

I'm from Nova Scotia(Cape Breton originally..now Dartmouth), and I lived in Calgary from '79 to '81..not long enough!! I'm not sure how offensive it is to ask for tips on where to go to try to harvest an elk with my recurve....I know there are some people that are dead set against out of province or alien hunters...don't want to start any wars.

I was in Calgary last year hunting elk with a buddy in mid September in the porc's...not much activity. Were planning again for this season on the 15th to the 23rd...If anyone would like to chime in and give me any pointers on where I might go to have a good week it would be much appreciated.

I'm so sorry I left Alberta...at times it brings a tear to my eye...

If there sharp then it's all up to you!!
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshunter View Post
Hi all, my name is Bernie,

I'm from Nova Scotia(Cape Breton originally..now Dartmouth), and I lived in Calgary from '79 to '81..not long enough!! I'm not sure how offensive it is to ask for tips on where to go to try to harvest an elk with my recurve....I know there are some people that are dead set against out of province or alien hunters...don't want to start any wars.

I was in Calgary last year hunting elk with a buddy in mid September in the porc's...not much activity. Were planning again for this season on the 15th to the 23rd...If anyone would like to chime in and give me any pointers on where I might go to have a good week it would be much appreciated.

I'm so sorry I left Alberta...at times it brings a tear to my eye...

If there sharp then it's all up to you!!
Thanks in advance for any advice.
No advice, but i doi have one question - why would anyone wanna leave Alberta??!!
cat
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 PM

I hear ya cat... Young and stupid...had a great job....we all make decisions in our lives that in retrospect seem....well you know. Thanks for the reply!!

ps. Used an 30-30 winchester most of my life for whitetails....beter than average suceess rate...scopes and more power never really were a consideration.....

Bernie
Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 PM

I've only ever hunted elk in unit 410 for archery as an aside when I was drawn for sheep .
My partner and I hunted the Harvey heights area, but i don't think you'd be able to do that now.
A few years back we went to look at the cougar canyon subdivision, and I swear there was a house where i was spotting sheep with the scope in '92!

I'm sure there is someone here who can give you some help in regard to Elk in thre Calgary area.
now, if you were asking about critters in the Ft. mac area, I could help!

Cat