Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Angry Cypress hills archery elk

Has anyone noticed the gap between the archery season and the first rifle season in the cypress hills? They pushed the start of the rifle season back 1 week but left the end of the archery season where it was. I have heard through a biologist in medicine hat that it is due to the archery hunters spooking the elk for the rifle hunt. They figure the week will help them cool off. First of all the pressure from archery hunters is extremely low. Last year in our 10 day hunt we came accross two other hunters. Not exactly high pressure! Secondly, archery hunters are not allowed in the park. The rifle hunters are???? If the Elk do get spooked they stay in the park. So this would mean that we actually have no effect on there success. The elk in that area have adapted well to the hunters and they can tell when they need to hide. I know of one area there that is full of elk but no one hunts it due to the long steep uphill drag to get them out. too many road hunters that are too lazy to do a little walking if you ask me.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Default cyp.

Access and weather are the biggest factors affecting the rifle hunt in my opinion, and not all rifle hunts include the park. Also, just because there's elk in that draw in late summer/early fall that doesn't mean there is in winter.
Possibly the harvest numbers are dropping? The priority isn't.
Elk is tough anytime, unless you have 20 buddies herding them on snowmobiles.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM

Geez Mulecrazy if you know of a spot full of elk I am not afraid of some physical labour packing an elk out! :-)
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM

Just wondering how you made out on your ten day hunt last year? Was drawn in the park five years ago second hunt, took a five point bull the third day, walked and climbed everyday, what a terrific hunt in a very nice area.Ive always been interested in how the archery season would be during the rut, but wonder if the elk numbers are there outside the park at that time?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Hey Duk. I have yet to be drawn there so the tough spot has yet to be hit by me. Drop me a line if you ever get a tag. I have watched several bulls in there. One was a beauty 7X7. It is just in the park so all I could do is watch. From others that I have talked to people rarely hit that area and the ones brave enough have great success. I definetly agree with the weather dictating the hunts. If there is no snow or really cold weather the last hunt in december/january is a right off. the elk don't have to leave the park to search for food. As far as numbers outside the park there are a few places. We hunt one area that usually has about 40 cows with the herd bull. He was shot in the first season and I heard he was around the 340-350 class. There are also several sattelite bulls in the area. My buddy got a 6X1 with his bow. It broke off most of his antler in velvet somehow. His dad shot a 5X5 with his bow as well. I had the unfortunate luck of my arrow catching a branch and hitting a dandy 6X6 in the hind. That was the worst feeling of my hunting career The archery hunt can be a blast but it takes a lot of time and scouting to learn their behaviours.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM

We hunted the park a few years ago and killed a big 6x6 and a nice 5x5.The 6x6 had to be deboned and packed out.

Saw lots of big bulls including a 7x6 in the 330-350 range.

I had enough Priority to get drawn this year but i 999'd it.

We had +30 the whole hunt but the bulls were rutting hard.