Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Land owners in 334

I drew for cow elk in 334. Yesterday finally went there and found massive areas of private owned land with few areas to hunt. And only deer there. Any land owners with elk they wouldn't mind a responsible hunter to gain access?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 AM

This is exactly why a person should do some research before applying for a draw. You can pull up landowner maps for many counties online for free before committing to a draw tag. Now that you are committed to the tag, get a landowner map, and start knocking on doors.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

That’s to hard elkhunter they want everything done for them
Old 11-13-2017, 11:43 AM

The number of threads exactly like this make me think people treat hunting like a video game
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM

It just blows me away it's all a part of hunting for me scouting year round getting permission in the summer spending as much time Outdoors as I can I don't get this new generation

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 12:05 PM

as little work as possible for big pay off this is the new way of the word I guess
Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Seems like this is the new direction this forum is going, someone asks for help and you get a bunch of dick answers.

Really if you have nothing productive to post why post at all? Another hunter/sportsman or woman asking the hunting community for a hand and all you can do is belittle them? Is that what this forum is about?

Sorry OP....not everyone on here is like that, others are very helpful.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:25 PM

I own land in 334
My best advice for elk, is north of Hwy 39 close to the N.Sask river.
There are farmers out there who don't like them blonde fence wreckers, but you have to put in the time.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM

If it were me i would try and find elk feeding in alfalfa fields in the morning and evening close to the river then get permission. Once you find where they are feeding and have permission go sit and wait downwind from where they enter the field.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This is exactly why a person should do some research before applying for a draw. You can pull up landowner maps for many counties online for free before committing to a draw tag. Now that you are committed to the tag, get a landowner map, and start knocking on doors.
Nearly all of zone 334 is private land, live and learn I guess.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the dis guys.... as a matter of fact I got 334 as a second choice draw.... and spent half the day walking around natural areas and rest scouting to see if other areas be as difficult as Genasee plant area. Around where I live many farmers have problems with elk ... but don't worry I will get this done without the rude remarks from people who type crap. Hope you don't need help around here.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
It just blows me away it's all a part of hunting for me scouting year round getting permission in the summer spending as much time Outdoors as I can I don't get this new generation

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I don't get it either let's wait till last 2 weeks and hey where do I go to shoot this animal, I'd have no problem helping someone in June or July so they could go do there own homework it's more rewarding this way this is actual hunting not just hey go here to this field not much hunting there
Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariguy View Post
Thanks for the dis guys.... as a matter of fact I got 334 as a second choice draw.... and spent half the day walking around natural areas and rest scouting to see if other areas be as difficult as Genasee plant area. Around where I live many farmers have problems with elk ... but don't worry I will get this done without the rude remarks from people who type crap. Hope you don't need help around here.
I spent 26 days from opening light to dark walking and calling to get my bull, half day is nothing lol
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM

26 days???? Hmmm... good for you. I work more than that in a month..... must be nice to be unemployed and hunt too. Guess you win.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

It's called holidays I take my hunting seriously, that's why I don't need to come on here and beg to know where animals are
Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
It's called holidays I take my hunting seriously, that's why I don't need to come on here and beg to know where animals are
Only thing you take serious is stupid remarks to people’s questions. Your 100% what’s wrong with this community and you wonder why no one post on here or there are always arguments it’s becauae people like you. Maybe you should use some of your smart comments on helping some people. We are a community here and we look like a bunch of clowns when everyone argues or craps on everyone’s questions. Get a grip on yourself and stop acting like a clown. And here we go make your stupid comment like any day you wanna meet up let me know haha your a joke slicktricker don’t understand how you don’t get banned more than you have.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 PM

I don't beg... I asked for a little help from landowners not from bullying show offs. but then again... I don't stoop to low standards like you or your pals on here ... enjoy your elk. And when I hunt I am serious.. I also help people if they need it... don't worry Mr awsome 26 days to get a bull elk... you are very awsome! Be proud you got one in 26 days.... is that a record? Was it in a heavily populated area? With a huge power plant hogging all the best elk land with no attmitance to anyone? No? Oh... well good for you. I will continue without your awsome 26 days to get a bull hard work story and insults. I normally don't look for help on here as I hunt in my area... scouting oh yes that's the fun part.... when there is time.
I learned that the draw has snags and this forum has people that only atrack others. From now on I will only put in for the zone I want and know and not a second choice. That was the only mistake I made. Maybe that itself may teach a few about draws.... and not ask for help on this forum... as it seems it's for angry half cocked type without thought super hero's. I will go back too 334 and maybe never see an elk... but that's part of it.... but if anyone ever asks for help on that zone I won't be a jerk and demean them... I would give them some help as its a zone that isn't hunter friendly.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 PM

Safari, no elk near me in 334, smokinyotes has a good plan.
I'm in the southwest corner, and there are more elk in 332 than in my zone.
Again, think river banks, feed, and cover.
If you don't scout and be there at first, or last light..... the fields will be empty.
Scout ,permission, then the wind like smokinyotes said.

Good luck..hope to see one down from ya.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 PM

I have hunted that zone very little, and nearly every time ive gone ive found elk or fresh sign in november while whitetail hunting. Closer to the river the better.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 AM

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm a beginner and a little late to the game at 39. I'll admit that I was quite ignorant to when and where to hunt. I'm learning now that scouting and establishing contact with private land owners is a must. One question I have and I realize it's a general question and each land owner is different but have you all found that the land owner respects an upfront and no BS approach when asking permission or is it usually best to not even mention wanting to hunt and just walk the land a few times, with permission of course and work your way up to asking?

Again I realize each situation is different, just trying to build a strategy.

Thanks for any help willing to be shared
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol View Post
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm a beginner and a little late to the game at 39. I'll admit that I was quite ignorant to when and where to hunt. I'm learning now that scouting and establishing contact with private land owners is a must. One question I have and I realize it's a general question and each land owner is different but have you all found that the land owner respects an upfront and no BS approach when asking permission or is it usually best to not even mention wanting to hunt and just walk the land a few times, with permission of course and work your way up to asking?

Again I realize each situation is different, just trying to build a strategy.

Thanks for any help willing to be shared
I personally find that although it does vary, I am usually more successful in obtaining permission by meeting the landowner face to face and asking for permission to hunt. Seeing what you look like, and your attitude usually puts the landowner more at ease than an anonymous voice over the phone. And I prefer to ask as soon as I am interested in the property, rather than stopping and glassing the property for days , while anyone that sees me wonders what I am up to in the area. And when I ask, I tell the landowner who I am asking for, whether it is me , or our goose hunting party of four or five people. It is understood that I will be present at all times, and my hunting partners must ask for permission if they intend to hunt without me. When I am interested in hunting an area, I download county landowner maps to see how much of the land is private, and if there are large blocks of land owned by one person, or own company, rather than many owners who own small parcels. If I am interested enough to apply for a draw in the area, I will usually go for a drive or at least call a few landowners before committing to applying for a draw tag. And I ask every year, and in the case of waterfowl, I usually contact the landowner before every hunt, so that two parties don't show up in the dark the same morning to set up. I find that a little preparation beforehand usually prevents my ending up with no place to hunt .
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariguy View Post
I don't beg... I asked for a little help from landowners not from bullying show offs. but then again... I don't stoop to low standards like you or your pals on here ... enjoy your elk. And when I hunt I am serious.. I also help people if they need it... don't worry Mr awsome 26 days to get a bull elk... you are very awsome! Be proud you got one in 26 days.... is that a record? Was it in a heavily populated area? With a huge power plant hogging all the best elk land with no attmitance to anyone? No? Oh... well good for you. I will continue without your awsome 26 days to get a bull hard work story and insults. I normally don't look for help on here as I hunt in my area... scouting oh yes that's the fun part.... when there is time.
I learned that the draw has snags and this forum has people that only atrack others. From now on I will only put in for the zone I want and know and not a second choice. That was the only mistake I made. Maybe that itself may teach a few about draws.... and not ask for help on this forum... as it seems it's for angry half cocked type without thought super hero's. I will go back too 334 and maybe never see an elk... but that's part of it.... but if anyone ever asks for help on that zone I won't be a jerk and demean them... I would give them some help as its a zone that isn't hunter friendly.
With respect and not accusing nor trying to argue...I think the point Slicktricker and others is making is that had you done a little research/leg work, you may have discovered that 334 isn't "hunter friendly", hence you wouldn't have applied for that zone albeit your 2nd choice, hence you wouldn't have to come on to a forum you are relatively new to to ask for assistance. In a few short postings, you have become the very angry poster you are accusing others of.
I hope you find some land...an elk tag on draw is precious.