Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Default Trail cam questions

Hey everyone I finally found an area I want to put trail cams on. I have never used trail cameras before and don’t know what’s what about them. Saying that which cameras are good to buy and what’s junk? Is there certain specs one should have before even consider buying? I don’t need the text message feature the area is close enough I can go check them without making a day trip out of it. Anyways good luck in the remaining season and thanks in advance for the input
Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Real happy with the Stealth Cams( PX14 ) I bought, 2 pack was $150 and been running the same batteries in them through all this cold weather and have tons of pics. Not the best on the market but for the price if you want lots of cams out I think they are worth the money.

enjoy your season

mm
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 PM

Welcome to the world of trail cams. Be forewarned they can be addictive!

I run 3 different brands of trail cams. Stealth Cam, Browning and Bushnell. All have worked flawless for me with no issues with battery life.

1) Stealth Cams are P12’s I got on sale at CT 2 years ago in 2 packs for around $110 or so. These are a no frill, easy to program 6mp camera that takes decent daytime pictures and okay nighttime pictures. Their weak point is a slow trigger speed which can mean some, not many, missed shots (animal almost out of the picture) and a shorter detection range. For the price I am happy with their performance.

2) Browning Recon and Strike Force cameras. Paid around $170 a piece plus an extra $30 or so for the metal security boxes. Nice cameras that are easy to program, offer 10mp pictures that yield good daytime and night time photos. Good trigger speed and detection range. The metal boxes are nice for extra security and for bears. Lag bolt the box to the tree and stealing the camera is that much harder once it is locked inside. Very happy with their performance.

3) Bushnell Aggressor Low Glow cameras. Paid around $240 a piece plus an extra $45 a piece for security boxes. Bushnell’s security boxes are a better design in my opinion than the Browning ones. Cameras offer 20mp daytime colour photos which are awesome. Count the hairs on a deers back photos are so clear. Night photos are good as well but as with most cams, are black and white. Fastest trigger speed of any of my cams but a bit trickier to program for me anyways the first time thru. Detection range is good as well. Very happy with them.

Buddy runs Moultrie A20’s I believe and based on what I seen for photos from them and the ease at which he programmed them, I am going to give a few of the Moultrie A series a try.

What I look for in cameras now is 10 megapixels or better, fast trigger speeds (.2 seconds or so is preferred), low or no glow flash preferred, detection and flash range of 50 feet plus, availability of metal boxes (not a deal breaker) and last but not least, price. $240 a camera is pushing my upper limit.

I use Master Python locks on all my cameras plus padlocks as required. Never lost a camera yet, knock on wood.

Keep your eyes peeled as good cameras go on clearance as the latest and greatest come out.

Please keep in mind this is all only my humble opinion based on my experiences and others may have other thoughts based on their own situations and experience.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info John it was exactly what I was hoping for