Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 PM

Default What GPS tracking device to buy?

Hi there,

New hunter..so please excuse me if my questions do not make sense.

I was out hunting and was hiking. On my way back I was lost, was using Google earth in my phone and had the location saved. So was able to navigate back eventually but took 3 hours extra.

So I am looking to buy a GPS or any kind of device that will note down my tracks and able to guide me back to my camp location. Not worried about the cost.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM

I own a Garmin Montana, but frankly, I don't use it anymore. It has 100 features I didn't need. And then I'm lugging around a GPS, a phone, and a SPOT. You can now download an app for your phone, in which you download maps and then let the GPS in your phone tell you where you are. And best of all these don't require an actual cellular signal, so you can use them in areas of no coverage. You can put waypoints in, (including one for where you left your truck, etc.). Just search offline maps in the app store. I got Maps.me for free and it worked like a charm in Europe recently, though it's more for roads than wilderness. But there are others.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM

I have a Garmin and a spot and a phone also tend to use my phone more than anything

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 04:43 PM

ihunter AB app for your phone. I don't use my garmin gps for anything now as I find the phone is better. The only draw back being battery power so I take a charger and cord with me.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Batteries never go dead on a compass.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 PM

I've used my phone for last few years instead of my older Garmin,but this year my outfitter,another guide,and myself all bought Garmin inReach GPS units instead of the usual practice of renting 2 sat phones for remote moose camps/off grid/no cell service.
In the past,the Sat phones were more for emergency only,but having the Garmins was quite convenient for communicating between 3 guides at 2 seperate camps,sharing locations,plus getting messages out to "the world",rendezvousing at staging area to get resupplied with gas and other items,bringing moose out to freezer on Argos etc etc.
It's a cool lil toy and allows for text and email via Satellite plus SOS etc,but also requires a subscription plan for the weeks/months that you'll be using it.
Garmin recently acquired DeLorme (makers of SPOT)and has repackaging the DeLorme inReach technology into familiar looking Garmin units,for now at least,the inReach is still available in either the DeLorme or Garmin case.
The inReach units themselves are $600ish,then there's 4 levels of subscription plans ranging from around $20/mth pay as go per message to $75/mth unlimited message plan.
Battery life/stand by time is also very good with iirc something like 100hrs in regular use mode,and more like 1000hrs standby in low battery mode?Didnt concern myself too much with that as we just recharged them from Argo 12V plug every few days.
In a nutshell,i thought it was a great alternative to renting expensive Sat phone for 3 weeks and very convenient(or necessity?) if you need to stay in touch with the world when you are off grid for extended period.....and if your hunting buddy has one,it is more reliable then Garmin Rhino which transmits radio signal,the inReach works from Antarctica to North Pole and everywhere in between.

Last edited by West O'5; 10-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Ihunter is handy and worth it for hunting. For backcountry backpacking and hunting I use the Gaia app as my primary GPS. I believe it's $12, and a fantastic GPS. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Delorme does not make the spot. Delorme now purchased by garmin is the iridium satelite system. Spot is a different satelite provider
Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Default What GPS tracking device to buy?

I've been using a combo of iHunter and maps 3D. Both can use offline maps and seeing your track on a 3D topo map really takes all the guess work out of navigation. It's seems any mapping app sucks your phone battery quickly though so I always carry a battery pack charger just in case. I also carry a compass and study maps before hand get to know the main features of the the area I'm hunting before I head out.

Last edited by Brymer; 10-13-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Batteries never go dead on a compass.
+1!!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM

I use a Garmin Oregon 600. A great unit. Touch screen makes it very easy to use. And waterproof. Can preload routes or spot from computer using the "Base Camp" site. Download and store your tracks here as well.

I also use iHunter and my phone. But I always turn on the Garmin and landmark my truck before leaving, then shut it off and store it in my pack. If phone dies, Garmin is always there for a fall back. And Garmin I can bring extra batteries, not an option for the phone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Oh, and the extra $100 for the Canada topo map for the Garmin is also a great investment. Good detail for back roads and trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 PM

My brother and I went half on an Inreach with gps and topographic maps this year for our Wilmore trip.

Works good, the mama bear is happy with two way coms, pretty good all in one device.
I would have liked replaceable batteries though.
Up till now, I've never gone wrong with a compass, but the older I get, and with kids to feed, the SOS feature is a nice to have.

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer
Old 10-14-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Delorme does not make the spot. Delorme now purchased by garmin is the iridium satelite system. Spot is a different satelite provider
I dunno the detes about the whole DeLorme/Garmin merger,nor do I care really,but i thought DeLorme/Spot/Garmin were all under the Garmin banner now?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Will buy the new inreach next year when they come out with the Garmin maps on them

Old 10-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Banned

Delorme Inreach
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-067/inReach-Explorer

Garmin Foretrex 401
https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-foretrex-401

SILVA RANGER CL HI-VIS COMPASS
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5037-3...Hi-Vis-Compass

Map of the area

Don't leave home without em!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I dunno the detes about the whole DeLorme/Garmin merger,nor do I care really,but i thought DeLorme/Spot/Garmin were all under the Garmin banner now?
Far as I know spot is its own company

Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Far as I know spot is its own company

Spot is owned by global star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 PM

I use a Garmin 62s. I can track myself when I have satelites, but in heavy bush I lose reception. Are cell phones different? Ain't no cell service either. Or will I be lost forever.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 PM

ihunter is all you need

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 09:38 AM

I have a Delorme inreach device and a garmin. To be honest the delorme's gps just are not up to par yet with the garmin's even though they were purchased by garmin. In my opinion if you are looking for a device for navigation the garmin with backcountry back road maps is best and you don't need a super expensive garmin either. If you want a device to send messages or SOS in the middle of nowhere then the Delorme inreach is the way to go. Hopefully with time if you can wait garmin with use delorme's sat phone technology and there gps technology and make one device that is the best at both. I would wait and buy that device or even call Garmin and see if they have something in the works.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 AM

I talk to Garmin when they bought out the delorme they said next year they will be setting the units up with the Garmin mapping system

Old 10-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Often I am hunting and fishing in areas that have no cell service, thank god, so I use my Garmin Oregon 600. I also pack a compass cause that don't need no batteries. Knowing how to navigate without an electronic device could save your life.