Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Banned

anyone know how closures affect sustenance hunting rights?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
So the closure is still in effect, or not? Confused by some of the information I am seeing.
If it is closed there are 'passes' available? I would assume this wouldn't apply to hunting, or could they?
Passes are for those that live within the effected closed areas, such as Castle Mountain Resort, and for those that need access for work. I don't think hunting would qualify. I'm not sure about trappers though.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 PM

Just came from a fire info meeting in Waterton , this fire is big and it's real ... nothing is going to stop it but rain , which isn't in the forecast. Winds are going to pick up in a few days , could easily spread into castle. . Big question is where in the castle . Depends on the wind. Government did the right thing shutting things down .
Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
anyone know how closures affect sustenance hunting rights?
Is one group of people more likely to start fires than another group? I would say its fair to assume all flavours of people have sparks flying off their shoes.

Edit: except for the general public. But now they are back to the big cities, shut 'er down.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Is one group of people more likely to start fires than another group? I would say its fair to assume all flavours of people have sparks flying off their shoes.

Edit: except for the general public. But now they are back to the big cities, shut 'er down.
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday. Time line is just a coincidence. I'm not a fan of the government , but this time they got it right , people's lives and homes are at stake . It's not about inconveniencing a few hunters.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday.
Is that what they told you?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 PM

That's what I know , I saw the smoke billow over the south end of the bow-crow , both Saturday and Sunday from my home , my home is in one of the possible paths this thing could take. The whole Castle park could go up in a few days . I guess you just don't get it how serious this is.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:36 PM

And yes , that's what parks told us today.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
That's what I know , I saw the smoke billow over the south end of the bow-crow , both Saturday and Sunday from my home , my home is in one of the possible paths this thing could take. The whole Castle park could go up in a few days . I guess you just don't get it how serious this is.
Oh I get how serious it is, it's just the CO's made it sound like it was already in the south Castle when in reality it wasn't. As long as the winds don't get crazy it will have a tough time burning over the rocks on the tops of the mountains. That's all a guy can pray for is no strong winds.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday. Time line is just a coincidence. I'm not a fan of the government , but this time they got it right , people's lives and homes are at stake . It's not about inconveniencing a few hunters.
What fire is growing north of the #3 to justify shutting that whole area down after the general public is done using it?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What fire is growing north of the #3 to justify shutting that whole area down after the general public is done using it?
I'd say it's still in everyone's best interest that it's closed. Gripe all we want about it being a big conspiracy to keep the hunters out, it is what it is. Closed. Have to hope for some major wet weather changes soon and for the whole winter.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I'd say it's still in everyone's best interest that it's closed. Gripe all we want about it being a big conspiracy to keep the hunters out, it is what it is. Closed. Have to hope for some major wet weather changes soon and for the whole winter.
Therein lies the problem. You have capitulated. The situation is not notably worse than before the long weekend which arguably would have been the most risky period of the season.

I don't see it as being up for debate. They could have closed it Friday or Saturday and eliminated a lot of risk. They had all the signs made already. To me it is pretty clear that they did not want to risk the fallout of banning the general public. Just my opinion.

Edit - I do understand that closing the area down to everyone cuts a lot of risk, but the fact that they are targeting a specific user group is what makes me call BS.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Totally agree, shut it down, stay out of there,, its only a hunting season boys, not the end of the world good god, there will be next year, and year after, oh yeah,,, for the ones who got draws, suck it up, it's the game we play, too damn bad,, oh yeah,, I am guessing there is no big conspiracy also regarding user groups,,,, get back to work and quit bitching....
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
Totally agree, shut it down, stay out of there,, its only a hunting season boys, not the end of the world good god, there will be next year, and year after, oh yeah,,, for the ones who got draws, suck it up, it's the game we play, too damn bad,, oh yeah,, I am guessing there is no big conspiracy also regarding user groups,,,, get back to work and quit bitching....
I'm guessing you don't hunt here or have any draws for here. Laughing.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm guessing you don't hunt here or have any draws for here. Laughing.
Well Chuck,, been hunting down south for many years,,,it's still going be there tomorrow I am guessing...
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM

I am guessing those complaining don't have homes or personal investments in the area. It sucks but it is not the end of life as we know it. Bitching about it only helps convince private land owners that yup hunters are arsholes and more will not give permission. Give them some sympathy for what is happening and they may reward us in long run. Out here on prairies knock on one hundred farms you get run off on 10. And 70 say no. Ten say F off Four say someone else has it first and if your lucky one says yes. So has hunters we should stand by the people that live in these area's and do our part with great pride and give a little sacrifice not always take take take. So you lose your $3 draw app it's not the end of your world.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Default Few fires

There are very few fires in the province right now, there's lots of hands and resourves to fight fires, the sky isn't falling, its just a fire doing what it does.
Our society is becoming real soft lately.
You know how many deaths occur daily on Alberta's roads? If your interested in saving lives and keeping people safe, ban liquor and vehicles, not people walking through the forest.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM

^^^^ x2 - agreeing with post 106
Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 AM

RE quote 106.. yes. suck it up. especially those guys that have burned a 16 priority to get a moose draw in 308, (lowest was 10).

so no its not just the 3$ draw. join in any time your're ready.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Hey it's hunting. No promise that you would get your animal weather you are priority 1 or 100. **** happens that are unforeseen. My lotto no's have not hit but I don't cry about it. You could break a leg before open season crap happens. Spend your time asking them seeing as it's closed to reset your priority rather then try push a rope. **** the gov't off for selling you something you can't use and join to make them give you a refund. Most of us hunting is a privilege not a right.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Hey it's hunting. No promise that you would get your animal weather you are priority 1 or 100. **** happens that are unforeseen. My lotto no's have not hit but I don't cry about it. You could break a leg before open season crap happens. Spend your time asking them seeing as it's closed to reset your priority rather then try push a rope. **** the gov't off for selling you something you can't use and join to make them give you a refund. Most of us hunting is a privilege not a right.
You seem to be quite angry about the whole thing, lol. You've written damn near a page about how hunters are selfish. I've not seen or read a single selfish thing written on here by a hunter. No shortage of insulting comments for hunters though. Damn, you'd almost think this forumn is the anti hunter site.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
I am guessing those complaining don't have homes or personal investments in the area. It sucks but it is not the end of life as we know it. Bitching about it only helps convince private land owners that yup hunters are arsholes and more will not give permission. Give them some sympathy for what is happening and they may reward us in long run. Out here on prairies knock on one hundred farms you get run off on 10. And 70 say no. Ten say F off Four say someone else has it first and if your lucky one says yes. So has hunters we should stand by the people that live in these area's and do our part with great pride and give a little sacrifice not always take take take. So you lose your $3 draw app it's not the end of your world.

You bet I have a personal investment in the area and what does private land owners do with forestry. I really feel for the 5 guys that drew the once in a life time goat tag.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Nothing said against hunters. Not angry but you seem to hate drivers and alcohol lol just respect fire bans and closures they are there for reasons that we may not all understand
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Default well

Well, you have an awful lot of faith in the Alberta Government, must be the great track record. Anti hunter sentiment is tough to take when your a good steward of the land, not poaching, having bon fires, shooting up road signs etc and getting grief for what the bad ones do. A pro active government who cares about its voters would offer up a tag surrender program with point returns to alleviate phone calls to stressed land owners, resulting in decreased activity in high risk areas. Closures are still not jiving with the ministers orders from Sept 4, and there have been no official changes, yet other areas are being closed by local offices... how that for communication!

http://www.wildfire.alberta.ca/wildf...Sep04-2017.pdf
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Banned

100% agree with this fire ban down in this south west here, all it would take is on poorly extinguished cigarette but, high winds and there goes the country side. I'm working down at the plant, the mood is ominous, I've never seen it this dry ever down here in my whole life. Everyone's preparing for the worst, I think it will all boil down to the wind. I pray for the people down here, it's in mother natures hands now.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
Well Chuck,, been hunting down south for many years,,,it's still going be there tomorrow I am guessing...
So no. That's what I thought

-Billy Molls
Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
"Targeting" is the right word. Good pun.

If it was for all users, why close it after the long weekend? If it is such an urgent situation, do as south eastern BC did, and close BEFORE the long weekend to truely keep " all recreational users" out. Nope, let's give our granola crunching hikers/supporters the long weekend to enjoy public land, then stick it to the hunters/fishers. Nice.
I was out in the cataract creek area on Sunday/Monday of the long weekend. The road guys were putting up the roadblocks on the forestry roads and we came out on the north end of chain lakes to a roadblock.

It was drier than a popcorn fart in there. I'm disappointed that my hunting area is closed, but it's like sitting on a powder keg out there. In my opinion, these should have been closed for the long weekend. Too many idiots throwing smokes out the window etc.

One question i have, does SLS still have authority to do logging in these areas? If so, I'd think they're a bigger hazard than hunters walking around on foot.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM

I'm sure the government will step up to the plate and reissue all draw tags for next year.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I was out in the cataract creek area on Sunday/Monday of the long weekend. The road guys were putting up the roadblocks on the forestry roads and we came out on the north end of chain lakes to a roadblock.

It was drier than a popcorn fart in there. I'm disappointed that my hunting area is closed, but it's like sitting on a powder keg out there. In my opinion, these should have been closed for the long weekend. Too many idiots throwing smokes out the window etc.

One question i have, does SLS still have authority to do logging in these areas? If so, I'd think they're a bigger hazard than hunters walking around on foot.
Do you know if 404 is still accessible from the 40 (walking in)

Planning on heading out there this weekend

J
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Pretty funny how some posters think this is some sort of conspiracy against hunters. Thats laughable. This ban effects everyone , not just hunters.
I do feel for somone who has wasted 10-13 years of priority points to get a tag this year. Talk about chit timing.