Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Fallow Deer Rut

Its the end of the fallow deer rut in New Zealand and yesterday I headed out for a day hunt to see if there was still any fallow rutting action.

After leaving home at 3.30am, and a 1 hour walk I was glassing some clearings. I spotted a red hind and yearling, bit it was a buck I was after. A few minutes later I spotted a decent 10 point red stag which wasn't the target species but was too good to pass. I took the 305 yard shot. The shot didn't feel good and I wasn't confident of a hit. After searching unsuccessfully for blood I was sure it was a clean miss oh well, at least I could keep hunting and try for a fallow.

After a 30min walk I spotted two fallow does, but no buck appeared even after a few grunts. I became impatient so decided to check out another area and return later in the day, but while moving away I saw the buck running towards the does! I high tailed it back to get within 120 yards and grunted again and waited. After waiting for what seemed like forever the does appeared and then the buck walked out. I took the shot and I had my buck down.

Last edited by Anotherkiwi; 05-05-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:07 PM

Nice! Thanks for the post.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Sweet

Nice buck
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Awesome man! Was in Turangi New Zealand in January and a guy gave my wife and I a pack of fallow deer steaks. Man were those good eating! Great country you have there!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM

Great buck buddy, congrats!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Nice buck man, thanks for sharing
Old 05-06-2017, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mickeyjim - Glad to hear you got to try some fallow. I was in Turangi in January too. Some great hunting around there. Did you get out for a hunt or fish?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:08 PM

I don't have much interest in most exotics, however the fallow deer is the exception. Nice work, beautiful animal.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Congrats on a beautifull animal. I like how the antler spreads out up high.
Fallow deer were introduced on an island in BC, and have become a real nuisance. They are great swimmers and island hop as they eat their way along the islands. Beautiful animals though, and tasty, so I'm told.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Thanks waterninja, I'm very happy with the trophy. Have shot a few smaller fallow but this is my best by far. I didn't know you had fallow in BC, interesting.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkiwi View Post
Thanks waterninja, I'm very happy with the trophy. Have shot a few smaller fallow but this is my best by far. I didn't know you had fallow in BC, interesting.
It's an interesting read on Google. They have had to cull them on some islands and they are a real nuisance on a few islands. I would never have thought a small deer would go into the ocean and swim for kms. How could they know there would be land ahead? My brother has hunted them and blacktail on some of the islands.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 PM

That is one hunt I would really like to have on the bucket list. What do those deer weigh dressed out ?? What caliber were you using ??

Thanks for posting.......

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Not sure if the weight sorry. Smaller than a whitetail tho. I was using a 7mm rem mag, but anything like a .243 or bigger would be fine.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Nice fallow buck, I managed one as well this year, head not as big as yours but a Leucitic (white) Mesopotamia so bigger in the body than a normal fallow, shot on the river at a mates Farm, an escape from some were up the Valley as still had an ear tag, 70kg dressed, and just prior to the rut, so very good condition and eating.
I have keep the skin, and will get it tanned.

Due to foolishly, leaving the rifle leaning against a fence, I missed out on the best Fallow buck,I have ever seen, this year, jet black, impressive head, with very deep palms, wandered away from rifle glassing a clearing, in the back of National Park, and he wandered past and vanished before I could get to rifle.

Somebody asked about weights, does 40kg apox dressed, bucks 60-80 kg. Dressed, but depends on location and feed as always, and sum sub spieces are bigger than others. Best eating deer, and perfect weight to pack out whole.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post

Somebody asked about weights, does 40kg apox dressed, bucks 60-80 kg. Dressed, but depends on location and feed as always, and sum sub spieces are bigger than others. Best eating deer, and perfect weight to pack out whole.

Interesting, Thanks for the Info......I wish I could try some of the meat one day.

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 05-07-2017, 12:39 AM

You could head to NZ and shoot one. No tags and I can point you in the right direction.