Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 PM

Talking Wolf hunting??

Thinking of doing some wolf hunting in Hinton this year and yes I know your lucky to even see them! Ha ha and iv read some past threads on hear about wolf hunting.. I'm just wondering if anyone could point me in a possible starting point lol or even send me pm with some direction and iv also seen some post's that whitecourt is good too... Please don't beat a rookie up over this

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparies View Post
Thinking of doing some wolf hunting in Hinton this year and yes I know your lucky to even see them! Ha ha and iv read some past threads on hear about wolf hunting.. I'm just wondering if anyone could point me in a possible starting point lol or even send me pm with some direction and iv also seen some post's that whitecourt is good too... Please don't beat a rookie up over this

Thanks!
Welcome aboard! Any area with vast expanses of bush hold wolves.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 PM

Anywhere 1 hour North of Edmonton or 1 hour West. There out of control right now, go get em
Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM

we saw 4 (two blacks, one grey, one white) on the west end of 9 mine in WMU 444 last Friday. They were too far for a shot so I let them leave unmolested and then tried to howl them back in. The rest of the pack immediately howled back and howled continuously but wouldn't come in (the wolves that howled were farther west than the ones we saw). If it wasn't almost dark I'm sure we could have got on them. We heard them the next night near Hammil. I think it would be about the easiest wolf hunting you're going to find. It's all quad accessible, they're vocal, and the place is covered up with wolf tracks. On top of all that they are also used to human traffic and noise. Wait until December 1 and shoot a cougar while you're there.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM

Lots of wolf tracks out Robb way. Lots of tracks to the south of Edson. Probably lots of tracks to the north of Hinton as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all replies! I plan to spend most of my winter trying to get as many as I can

Kind of a rookie question but i was looking around for some info on tags for wolves and didn't come up with to much info, is it the same as deer one tag for one animal or does one tag get you as many as you want?

Any info appreciated thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM

With your wildlife certificate you can shoot as many as you want. There is a season though and you have to salvage the hides.

If you get on a pack and shoot one, hold tight. More often that not some of the pack will return looking for the one that didn't follow and you can get more than one. I've got two doubles this way and a friend of mine killed 4 in the same spot (one at a time over a period of 15 or 20 minutes).

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Goodluck out there! Sure sounds like an adrenaline rush.
What are you planning on using for gun and ammo?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM

Right on thanks again for information!

I will definitely keep you guys posted with pictures! If I manage to get some of these dogs
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Southern wolves

Are there wolves south and west of Calgary say Chain Lakes country.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM

Sorry didn't see all of the message gun and ammo depends what I'm feeling I guess Prob 30/06 or 300 shortmag with 150 grain
Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 PM

3 seperate sightings this year no shots ...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Wolf

Lots west of Rocky Mtn Hse - Not many sightings, but "every" road has big dog tracks ( either big coyotes or wolves ).