Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM

Default Tweedsmuir Rod and Gun Club 1000 Yard Shoot

Well it took me a bit but I finally made it to Burns Lake BC on May 24-25/14 for the Tweedsmuir Rod and Gun Club 1000 Yard Shoot. It was an absolute blast. There were 54 shooters ( Men, Women, and Juniors).

Friday night was for sighting in. Saturday morning was for people from out of town to sight in their rifles. Breakfast and lunch are available at the club house on Saturday. The Safety meeting was at 10am for all shooters. Saturday consisted of 2 classes, Heavy Rifle 5 shot group and Unlimited 10 shot group with lunch between the 2 groups. Saturday night they had an incredible prime rib dinner at the club house. Sunday morning starts with a great Pancake breakfast and is followed by Sportsmen 5 shot group, lunch then Hunter 3 shot group. They also had a 1 shot egg shoot, and 1 shot standing gong. It was a very well organized event and I will definitely be back.

It was cool to see a couple 3 shot 3" groups on Sunday afternoon in the Hunter Class that required a shoot off to decide a winner.

One of the Juniors, a 17 yr old girl, with her group in Heavy Rifle class placed 3rd overall, 1st in the Womens, and 1st in the Junior class. It was some really impressive shooting. She won a rifle from Corlanes, a Vortex Viper HS-T scope from Nechako Outdoors, and a Benchmark Barrel from Bighorn Sales and Anvil Ring Transportation.

Other prizes awarded on the weekend consisted of 2 Gift Certificates for free chamberings from Downrange Precision in Lac La Nonne AB, 2 Benchmark Barrels from Big Horn Sales and Anvil Ring Transportation Ltd, 1 Benchmark Barrel from the Tweedsmuir Rod and Gun Club, a rifle from Corlane Sports, a Vortex Scope from Nechako Outdoors, a custom knife from Don Stevenson Custom Knives and many more prizes including tool boxes, chronograph, hearing protection and lots of other great prizes.

It was a great weekend. I went all the way to Burns Lake and met a couple guys from Alberta. I met Julian from Downrange Precision in Lac La Nonne. He was a great guy. I got to shoot a couple of his guns over the weekend and they were a pleasure to shoot. I also met Brent from Kodiak Lake Sports in Barrhead. That guy has a wealth of knowledge and is my new go to guy for handloads. Gary Eakin from Big Horn Sales MC'd the weekend and is another great guy to deal with. They had free camping at the range and if you want to go I would strongly encourage it for next year. I can't say enough about how much fun I had. I also left myself lots of room for improvement for next year. Lots!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM

if it wasn't for the 12 hour drive I would go every year.fantastic shoot and great bunch of people! glad you enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Some Pics to add

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0152.jpgSome pics of the event.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM

Nice 3 inch groups now that's shooting

Grats to the shooters having fun at 1000yds

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter270win View Post
Well it took me a bit but I finally made it to Burns Lake BC on May 24-25/14 for the Tweedsmuir Rod and Gun Club 1000 Yard Shoot. It was an absolute blast. There were 54 shooters ( Men, Women, and Juniors).

Friday night was for sighting in. Saturday morning was for people from out of town to sight in their rifles. Breakfast and lunch are available at the club house on Saturday. The Safety meeting was at 10am for all shooters. Saturday consisted of 2 classes, Heavy Rifle 5 shot group and Unlimited 10 shot group with lunch between the 2 groups. Saturday night they had an incredible prime rib dinner at the club house. Sunday morning starts with a great Pancake breakfast and is followed by Sportsmen 5 shot group, lunch then Hunter 3 shot group. They also had a 1 shot egg shoot, and 1 shot standing gong. It was a very well organized event and I will definitely be back.

It was cool to see a couple 3 shot 3" groups on Sunday afternoon in the Hunter Class that required a shoot off to decide a winner.

One of the Juniors, a 17 yr old girl, with her group in Heavy Rifle class placed 3rd overall, 1st in the Womens, and 1st in the Junior class. It was some really impressive shooting. She won a rifle from Corlanes, a Vortex Viper HS-T scope from Nechako Outdoors, and a Benchmark Barrel from Bighorn Sales and Anvil Ring Transportation.

Other prizes awarded on the weekend consisted of 2 Gift Certificates for free chamberings from Downrange Precision in Lac La Nonne AB, 2 Benchmark Barrels from Big Horn Sales and Anvil Ring Transportation Ltd, 1 Benchmark Barrel from the Tweedsmuir Rod and Gun Club, a rifle from Corlane Sports, a Vortex Scope from Nechako Outdoors, a custom knife from Don Stevenson Custom Knives and many more prizes including tool boxes, chronograph, hearing protection and lots of other great prizes.

It was a great weekend. I went all the way to Burns Lake and met a couple guys from Alberta. I met Julian from Downrange Precision in Lac La Nonne. He was a great guy. I got to shoot a couple of his guns over the weekend and they were a pleasure to shoot. I also met Brent from Kodiak Lake Sports in Barrhead. That guy has a wealth of knowledge and is my new go to guy for handloads. Gary Eakin from Big Horn Sales MC'd the weekend and is another great guy to deal with. They had free camping at the range and if you want to go I would strongly encourage it for next year. I can't say enough about how much fun I had. I also left myself lots of room for improvement for next year. Lots!
Hey this is great!! Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm in burns lake, its been a few years since I got to shoot in the 1000 yard shoot, due to spring guiding season. Always great people there, and some pretty amazing sharp shooters! Which alot of the time seem to be the lady's lol, it's good to see!! Just so happens, the 1000 yard shoot all started with my grandad and his buddy's, think it went something like this...... "Ill bet you a case of whiskey I can get 3 of my 5 shots outa this old 303 into a bullseye at 1000 yards!!!!..... Your on!!" Lol
The shoot use to be held in my front yard shooting across decker lake here, before they built the 1000 yard range at the gun club.
Might have to take a guiding season off one these years and go join the fun, cheers!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Default 1000 Yard History

Yes, I got the chance while I was in the club house to look at the history of the 1000 yrd shoot. There are a couple albums with pictures and newspaper clippings. It has quite the history. If I am not mistaken it is one of the oldest 1000 yrd shoots going. I believe this was the 39th annual Tweedsmuir Park Rod and Gun Club 1000 yrd shoot. If anyone wants to throw some support behind this shoot with sponsorship send me a PM and I will email the contact information to you. Very well organized and a great event. Next year will be the 40th Anniversary of the shoot.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:12 PM

I missed the shoot this last couple years but always enjoyed the shoot and the community effort in putting this together. Its real tough to shoot as well as the locals and there's a mystery condition I always miss when shooting my relays. Great shoot, but it is a horribly long drive to shoot 23 rnds for record at a four gun shoot. It would be nice if a range in Alberta could put something like this together. I'm looking forward to shooting Rocky Mtn House and Nose Hill F-class shoots when they get going. Hunter270win, there's a few of us shooting F-class matches in Kamloops 2/3 times a year, you should give it a try. Benchrest on your belly, eighty five rounds over two days. Distances are 300 and 500 meters, for score. Each shot is scored and relays are 15 rounds.

Do you have a picture of the new shooting "shack" at Burns Lake?

Last edited by DaleJ; 06-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:27 AM

Default New Shack

Hey Dale this is all I have of the new shooting shack. Between these two pictures is an insulated room with windows and radios for the guys at the other end of the range to relay scores to. There are 5 benches and 6 lanes. Lane six has nothing so I would imagine shooting prone would work from there. At the far end you still have your six target areas, and 6" round gong for the " egg shoot", and a 24" x 24" steel gong for the standing offhand gong shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (55.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (53.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 09:48 AM

i see they have not put up any wind flags yet.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 lapua View Post
i see they have not put up any wind flags yet.
I heard they have a ribbon at the targets.. Maybe we can fix them up with some corroplast ones.... maybe a donation. So we can shoot next year...
Old 06-08-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Wind Flags

They did have some flagging tape tied at multiple points down range. One thing about it we all had to use the same wind indicators. There are a couple openings in the trees downrange that can really mess with you.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
I heard they have a ribbon at the targets.. Maybe we can fix them up with some corroplast ones.... maybe a donation. So we can shoot next year...
that is certainly what they need!