Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Not true; the code grandfathers houses built on the year. You do not have to renovate your home to keep it up to the current code, which is unrealistic. If you alter /change/add, that portion must be up to the current code. Remember, the code is just the minimum required by law. Homeowners must do their due diligence on what is to be done best on their property.

Consider this scenario: many homeowners are turning to solar panel energy in the hopes of reducing their bills. However, they often overlook the fact that upgrading their insulation and windows can provide significantly greater savings. This is because many builders only meet the minimum code requirements, which may not prioritize energy efficiency. By emphasizing the potential cost savings from energy-efficient upgrades, homeowners can be motivated to consider these improvements.

Technical term: a single-ply minimum window during the build and a 3-ply window upgrade. You can see where your thermostat will be working the hardest.

Misconception : Inspectors are not required there at every stage of the building. They have a mandate according to the QMP(Quality Managed Plan) as an implementing body of the code. They are not there to be your personal quality inspector and blame if things go south. The property owner's has the sole responsibility is to hire and monitor the development within his property. It is not the government.
If you are moving an older house on to your property the inspector can make sure you are putting it on a modern icf basement that is fire retarded on inside (basically finished) then the way you attach house to basement all engineered and stamped screws and brackets.
Then they want insulated between house and basement. Then fire retarded.
They force you to put in either gas,oil or electric heat.Then have furnace room to contain the furnace. Stairs going down to basement all engineered and railings and fireproof . plus each basement room with heating source.
I bought house with idea of putting it on my basement and working at it as time and money permitted haha I was naive OMG everything even the roof I had to redo and with extension only had year and half to do it.
People talk about off grid but in my area its illegal.
The code even forces you to build your septic bed so shallow that it freezes in winter

If I was just hiring people to install solar panels on my roof I would be worried about them wrecking the roof and future re roofing costs
Old 05-01-2024, 07:09 AM

I have replaced the hot water heaters also on my last two homes,by myself .
Its very simple . You can buy some shark bites for attaching the water lines .the exhaust is the easiest if you replacing the same size tank .
The gas line is the tricky part . they say you need to hirer a gas fitter for this to be legal . i think they place their sticker on the unit once they hook it up .
I have done a lot of gas lines on propane generators so i did mine my self .
which is a no no they say when it comes to houses .
My next one i will do my self but will get a gas guy in just for that part .