Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Road Restrictions in Ghost PLUZ (WMU316)

This is probably old news but I ran a search and couldn't find any chatter, so hopefully this will help others heading into the Ghost PLUZ this season.

After landing my third WMU choice for moose this year in 316, I went out this past weekend to scout, since it's been a few years since I hunted that zone.

Up north was same as always with lots of cutlines to walk and no shortage of quads buzzing around. Even found some recent sign when I got far enough away from the quad trails. But in the central portion along Harold Creek Road I was surprised to find most of my old access points gated off right by the road with a lovely sign from Direct Energy posted (Attached).

I'm going to call the RCMP to get clarification, but I wanted to post this up to see if anyone has already done that and can share what they've found.

With Harold Creek Road being a wildlife sanctuary, I always used these well roads to get the required 365 metres away from the road before uncasing and finding a spot to walk in (only way to find anything is that zone is to pack on the miles).

Now, I have no problem with the company restricting vehicle access to their well sites, given the utter disrespect so many show towards pretty much everything in Ghost, and I'm sure it's cutting down on damage to their property. But to say I can't even walk in or discharge a firearm in the area while hunting is utter nonsense in my mind. It's public land and if their sites are so dangerous then perhaps it is them that are the public endangerment.

So if anyone has any info or clarification, post away. Otherwise I'll report back with details from the RCMP. At the very least, hopefully it's a heads up for anyone who won't have a chance to scout the zone ahead of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2283.jpg (28.5 KB, 216 views)
Old 08-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

i bet smoking is still fine and there wont be a 5 year jail term associated with it
Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM

I don't see anything about foot access on that; although I know some of the access roads in there have such signs. I'm not sure of the law on this, as to whether they can forbid walking on their roads, or if they can, how far that extends from the road surface.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM

I don't see anything about foot access on that; although I know some of the access roads in there (and across the road in 414) have such signs. I'm not sure of the law on this, as to whether they can forbid walking on their roads, or if they can, how far that extends from the road surface.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-10-2015, 12:06 PM

I should have clarified that there was also a No Trespassing sign right next to that Sour Gas notice. I took that to mean no walking in. But really, what's the point of walking in with a rifle if you don't intend on shooting in the area, which apparently makes me a criminal...

My main issue is that they've taken public land where they have been granted permission to build a road and well sites, and turning it into an undefined "patrolled area" with restricted access. At the very least they're throwing their weight around on land that belongs to all of us.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 PM

This has become a pretty big pet peeve of mine, and it seems to be expanding. The sites are all being gated off, and not just in the Ghost area. I agree that I can definitely see why they are doing it, but at the end of the day it is still public land, and shouldn't be a big deal for low impact users. I myself still fully intend on accessing some of these areas on foot as a means of get further into the bush.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Banned

i think you guys should heed warnings and stay out of sour gas areas. you know for safety and crap.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM

Then I guess a lot of people in Calgary better evacuate immediately...

http://calgaryrealestatereview.com/2...ns-in-calgary/
Old 08-10-2015, 12:34 PM

This has to do with rocket doctors taking shots at the sour gas well for some reason. This seems to be a common issue in the Ghost and at Mclean recently. A few bad baboons spoil it for everybody.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2029 View Post
Then I guess a lot of people in Calgary better evacuate immediately...

http://calgaryrealestatereview.com/2...ns-in-calgary/
if there's a leak i'm sure that's not a bad idea
Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2029 View Post
I should have clarified that there was also a No Trespassing sign right next to that Sour Gas notice. I took that to mean no walking in. But really, what's the point of walking in with a rifle if you don't intend on shooting in the area, which apparently makes me a criminal...

My main issue is that they've taken public land where they have been granted permission to build a road and well sites, and turning it into an undefined "patrolled area" with restricted access. At the very least they're throwing their weight around on land that belongs to all of us.

Thinking this must be well site or pipeline facility. The wells in that area are very sour, a leak could conceivably kill you, not to mention a lot of wackos seem to be drawn there cause they can use quads. Sign says "could be" , not "will be". There's a pamphlet available, that shows all the trails, might want to look at it.

Grizz
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM

Default No Trespassing

Those signs are just a general warning to pay attention to where you discharge your rifle. Nothing wrong with walking around there at all. The actual wellsites back there are still gated. The amount of hunters around those roads off the Harold creek is pretty scary though. Good luck getting your Moose.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 PM

if the road is theirs they can block it off, but they cant limit you from walking in as its public land.

i think they are just trying to deter people from shooting in there.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 PM

I would guess that they should post that same sign (from OP) on any and all pipeline right of ways entering all these lease locations. Just to keep things fair and equitable. Because legally posted land must be posted at every access/entry and every xxx m - me thinks.
A pipeline right of way could quite conceivably be a means for access for someone walking the woods
Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM

They build the road and maintain at their cost, they should be able to keep traffic off of it... No issue walking in though.

Good luck with your moose!