Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 PM
ruger300

Default Any fur primed yet?

Just wondering if anyone has skinned out any yotes yet and if they're starting to prime up yet? Weather has been kinda warm and even though all the dogs I've seen are lookin' good (no mange round here) I've been hesitant to board one up because of the warm weather.

ruger300
Old 11-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Prdtrgttr

Ruger, I've pulled the hide off of 3 from 1.5 weeks ago. The fur looked good on the outside, but 2 were still blue on the inside. I am sure by now they are better. Remember that fur production is dependent on the lessening daylight hours(photoperiod) rather than cold temps. Good luck harvesting fur!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
fur

Default fur

You guys should all wit a while. It's early yet and they are still laying on the fat for winter. I find that coyotes especially are much better eating after the first of the year.

If you fellas are willing to wait a few months for the fur to prime, I'll tell you what i will do so that you don't waste your time and ammo.I'll kill a few every day for the next few months and Let you know when the fur is really prime.:eek

Will that work for you??

This time of year it really depends on the animal, some are great and some aren't.

Kill'em all ...let the fur buyer sort'em out.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Prdtrgttr

Default Re: fur

Redfrog, I usually just turn mine into jerky so I don't need to worry about them getting any fatter:rollin . You must go hungry every winter as you tend to vaporize most coyotes you get with that 220bazooka, I mean Swift you shoot . Good luck with your season Monsieur Red!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Real guns

Default Real guns

When I was a little gaffer, I used to shoot a 17, because I wasn't big enough to fight and I was too fat to run, so I didn 't want to pith them off Now I get Dr. Swift to give them a shot and they are good for the whole flu season.:rollin
Good luck on the dogs this year, the numbers seem to be good.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
ruger300

Default Re: Real guns

Snuck up on a sleeping dog this morning while deer huntin'. (90 km gusts really hide your steps) Big, nice furred yote but...the 270 140gr BT nawww. I hate sewing holes. Guess I'll wait till DEC 1 and get with the program.

Fast is fine, Accuaracy is everything.

Ruger300.